Sunday Game Football Team of the Year

Started by drici, September 19, 2010, 11:12:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

INDIANA

Quote from: thewobbler on September 19, 2010, 11:18:29 PM
Indiana, are you like 6 years old?

Its not hard to see why other Northern counties can't stand the sight of Down if you're indicative of their support. Thought Down did well to get 3.

Omissions are John Doyle and Donie Shine for me. Doyles omission is a disgrace.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Bogball XV on September 19, 2010, 11:23:46 PM
Johnny doyle wasn't great from what i saw of him this year, he's been much better in previous years - did you think he should have got a spot for lifetime achievement?

JD was class personified this season. He had a sh1te year with the frees and still ended up top scorer. It would be a travesty if he missed out on an All-Star.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Maguire01

McVeigh should be #1. Can't recall any great moments from Quirke - anyone?

Doyle's a class act, but he wasn't the most consistent - some of his shooting v Monaghan was woeful. If he wins, it will be like the year Bradley won - undeserved, but probably should have got one or two in previous years.

Gooch the only provincial winner on the team as well.

tyroneboi

Couple of very strange selections. Quirke, Kissane, Bolton, McMahon and Cooper being the main ones.

Going off topic, I see Banty in the studio audience had a wee dig at the Monaghan county board saying Cork showed that you can go to the well a number of times with the same team or words to that effect. 

highorlow

QuoteWouldn't be in the Team of the year but even Kevin Walsh ignored him after his 10 points vs his team

Well the Gooch made it and he was shite this year.

Doyle had only one good 35 mins this year, which you couldn't consider worthy of getting on the team of the championship.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

ross4life

Top Scorers last five years

2010 Doyle (1-49)
2009 Colm Cooper (1-34)
2008   John Doyle (2-26)
2007   James Masters (3-30)
2006   Conor Mortimer (1-35)
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

DoireGael

Quote from: Maguire01 on September 19, 2010, 11:26:39 PM
McVeigh should be #1. Can't recall any great moments from Quirke - anyone?

Doyle's a class act, but he wasn't the most consistent - some of his shooting v Monaghan was woeful. If he wins, it will be like the year Bradley won - undeserved, but probably should have got one or two in previous years.

Gooch the only provincial winner on the team as well.

His ommission was a disgrace, you would need to be blind not to have chosen the guy.

Dromara Gael

No Benny? a complete. Should have got it for the Donegal game alone.

Bogball XV

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on September 19, 2010, 11:25:39 PM
Johnny doyle wasn't great from what i saw of him this year, he's been much better in previous years - did you think he should have got a spot for lifetime achievement?

JD was class personified this season. He had a sh1te year with the frees and still ended up top scorer. It would be a travesty if he missed out on an All-Star.
i'd like him to get an allstar and i think he will, but, it's like paddy bradley getting one in 07, it wasn't the right year.

and mcveigh has been the best shot stopping keeper i've seen this year.

ross4life

Without trying to be biased Geoffrey Claffey should have been mentioned in the goalkeepers
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Bogball XV on September 19, 2010, 11:35:28 PM
Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on September 19, 2010, 11:25:39 PM

i'd like him to get an allstar and i think he will, but, it's like paddy bradley getting one in 07, it wasn't the right year.

and mcveigh has been the best shot stopping keeper i've seen this year.

I agree that he's been better in previous years when the team around him was poor (2008 in particular).

But no one can convince me he wasn't among the best 6 forwards in Ireland this year. They were lauding Paddy Kelly for his defensive work, yet Doyle manages to marry this with an ability to kick points.

His shooting against Monaghan was abysmal but his general play that day could not be questioned. When Kildare struggled this year against Louth and Antrim he was still head and shoulders above everyone on the field.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

tyroneboi

And without trying to sound biased as well Pascal McConnell had a far better year than Quirke. Usually the Provincial winners get a token all star but in general it hasn't been a season of stand out individuals particularly in defence and midfield.

blanketattack

Can't think of any contenders for Player Of The Year to make the shortlist of 3 alongside Bernard Brogan???

brianboru00

Gooch was rubbish this year???????
In what games?

I still think Cluxton was the best keeper. Kavanagh from Kildare is also unlucky I think.

thewobbler

Seriously Indiana, me wondering how Dublin got 3, gave way to your appalling diatribe about Down football. Which you then decided to embellish with some nonsense about other countys' opinions. While I'm sure you can't and won't understand the irony in your comments, I can assure you it is a black mark against you.