EU plans co-ordinated corporation tax rates

Started by Zapatista, September 09, 2010, 07:56:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What is Irelands responce?

It won't happen?
0 (0%)
Thank God we have a Veto and a strong leadership who are prepared to use the veto?
1 (100%)
I hope it happens as it's for the best?
0 (0%)
Sure we knew it was going to happen anyway?
0 (0%)
Hate to say I told ye so - aye, but this is different?
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Zapatista

The European Commission is reported to be preparing new plans to co-ordinate rates of corporation tax across the European Union.

The proposal is understood to be part of a drive to re-invigorate the EU's internal market.

Attempts to consolidate European corporation tax rates have been ongoing for almost ten years now.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0909/eu_tax.html

Don't mind the poll. I only did it for badness.

Hound

As the article said

"Attempts to consolidate European corporation tax rates have been ongoing for almost ten years now. However, little progress has been made following strong objections from Ireland."

Of course its actually absolutely nothing to do with tax rates at all - the 12.5% rate is not under threat (from the EU anyway). Its about attribution of profits of MNCs between EU countries - which would be very bad for Ireland Inc, hence we won't agree to it.

Zapatista

However, little progress has been made following strong objections from Ireland

Not surprised at the RTE spin. Ireland's objections have been a factor but they have been minimal to the lack of progress. Besides the last 10 years count for nothing. I suppose that's a matter of opinion.

QuoteIts about attribution of profits of MNCs between EU countries - which would be very bad for Ireland Inc, hence we won't agree to it

Which is pretty much the same thing. I wish I had your confidence.

magpie seanie

I think with all the help we'll have to get in the next few years to keep our little boat afloat we won't be in much of a position to oppose anything soon.

Bogball XV

Haven't read the article yet, but a single currency is nigh on impossible without almost identical tax rates and tbh, a centralised budget.
Either the euro will fail or we federalise.

Banana Man

so does that mean all EU member states not in the euro currency will be exempt from the tax rate harmonisation???

there's going to be a very pronounced and clear 2 tier Europe if that's the case...

Farrandeelin

QuoteThank God we have a Veto and a strong leadership who are prepared to use the veto

Nice one, made me chuckle anyway!
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

muppet

Quote from: Zapatista on September 09, 2010, 08:49:22 AM
However, little progress has been made following strong objections from Ireland

Not surprised at the RTE spin. Ireland's objections have been a factor but they have been minimal to the lack of progress. Besides the last 10 years count for nothing. I suppose that's a matter of opinion.

QuoteIts about attribution of profits of MNCs between EU countries - which would be very bad for Ireland Inc, hence we won't agree to it

Which is pretty much the same thing. I wish I had your confidence.

Zap I'm confused, would you not support higher taxes by the Government?
MWWSI 2017

Zapatista

Quote from: muppet on September 09, 2010, 12:09:51 PM

I would if I thought it would be spent wisely and I would like to have control of it in the Dail where, altough it might be abused it would be within the control of the Irish people and not some German or Belgian that I don't know and isn't accountable here.

I wish I had the confidence that hound has when he says that our Government would have the balls not to agree to it regardless of the issue.

muppet

Quote from: Zapatista on September 09, 2010, 12:37:22 PM
Quote from: muppet on September 09, 2010, 12:09:51 PM

I would if I thought it would be spent wisely and I would like to have control of it in the Dail where, altough it might be abused it would be within the control of the Irish people and not some German or Belgian that I don't know and isn't accountable here.

I wish I had the confidence that hound has when he says that our Government would have the balls not to agree to it regardless of the issue.

Thanks to NAMA that wont be possible for at least a generation.
MWWSI 2017

muppet

MWWSI 2017

RMDrive

Zapatista

Noonan on the radio reckons we have the veto in tact and should be prepared to use it. That sounds serious to me when it comes from a FGer? Dick Roach earlier said that we have the legal guarantee protecting our corp tax. I thought the guarantees were to be added to a future treaty are are not yet active? if that's the case then we really don't have a legal guarantee, not yet anyway?

Noonan also says that we are in a very bad position to bargin but is glad of the veto. He also says the EU are in a position to apply pressure on us to tow the line. It's a long way from the Heart of Europe he had us not so long ago.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: magpie seanie on September 09, 2010, 08:50:28 AM
I think with all the help we'll have to get in the next few years to keep our little boat afloat we won't be in much of a position to oppose anything soon.
I think you and I had this doomsday discussion a couple of years ago pre-lisbon 1 vote !

we are now def in no position to be contrary and if it gets worse and we have to conceede to the EU on this corporate taxation policy, then we will experience a meltdown far worse than this current little domestic difficulty will then seem like!

we would then be really f**ked.
I'd say maybe even in a worse position than greece !