Do you know who he was - Down fans

Started by irunthev, September 08, 2010, 01:08:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

In the Onion Bag

It was a young Harrison from Glasdrumman.  Later become known as the Glasdrumman Indian Brave (because of his long hair and headband).  He remians a local legend.
He began with a pitifully small flag, and despite the attentions of a guard, was passed up several larger flags until, by the end he had a massive Down flag and Tricolour.

Down supporters are reknown for this type of flamboyant behaviour. 
In the 94 final for instance, some wags positioned themselves close to the big permanent Toyota advert sign at the canal end (the Dubs having secured the Hill) that read "The Car in Front is a Toyota".  The wags produced a massive banner, obsuring the Toyota advert with the words "The Man in Front Is Micky Linden".
In 1961, before the game had begun, a Down fan scaled a goalpost at the Canal end and attached a Down flag.  God knows what they might get up to on the 19th.

mournerambler

Quote from: In the Onion Bag on September 08, 2010, 08:38:22 PM
It was a young Harrison from Glasdrumman.  Later become known as the Glasdrumman Indian Brave (because of his long hair and headband).  He remians a local legend.
He began with a pitifully small flag, and despite the attentions of a guard, was passed up several larger flags until, by the end he had a massive Down flag and Tricolour.

Down supporters are reknown for this type of flamboyant behaviour. 
In the 94 final for instance, some wags positioned themselves close to the big permanent Toyota advert sign at the canal end (the Dubs having secured the Hill) that read "The Car in Front is a Toyota".  The wags produced a massive banner, obsuring the Toyota advert with the words "The Man in Front Is Micky Linden".
In 1961, before the game had begun, a Down fan scaled a goalpost at the Canal end and attached a Down flag.  God knows what they might get up to on the 19th.

This I believe was a lad called Hugh McKay brother of the Down goalkeeper that day Eddie McKay.

stephenite

Quote from: cornafean on September 08, 2010, 02:01:56 PM
There will be some fun with the 'elf and safety boys if he manages the same feat on Sunday week  :D

I'm sure the lads in Carrickmore won't mind too much

artisan2010

A friend of mine fell asleep on the bridge up the road from the Big Tree in 94 before the final.  Not as memorable!!!

Nally Stand

Quote from: stephenite on September 09, 2010, 03:35:31 AM
Quote from: cornafean on September 08, 2010, 02:01:56 PM
There will be some fun with the 'elf and safety boys if he manages the same feat on Sunday week  :D

I'm sure the lads in Carrickmore won't mind too much

Not in the slightest. Our pitch is being relaid at the minute and after the rain this week, if he falls he'll land in good soft mud  :D
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

donelli

and to think health and safety go crazy in croker if you bring in an infant without a ticket/smoke/run onto the pitch.
lads climbing on the stand were common enough around the 80s if i recall..

Also have great memories as a kid of watching down and armagh supporters climb up the ball catchers on the Dundalk end of the Castleblayney ground when Ulster championship matches used to be played there....dont get them kind of supporters theses days!!

stephenite

Quote from: donelli on September 10, 2010, 01:05:20 AM
and to think health and safety go crazy in croker if you bring in an infant without a ticket/smoke/run onto the pitch.
lads climbing on the stand were common enough around the 80s if i recall..

Wasn't just the '80s, some lunatic fell through the roof of the Nally stand as late as the 1996 All Ireland final

5 Sams

A club mate of mine climbed one of the cranes building the new Cusack at the 94 semi final to put a flag up. He wouldnt get down until the Garda promised not to arrest him...and they kept their word.....the same header would do the same today...

...and by the way in response to the original question it was definitely Liam Harrison from Glasdrumman...another header!!
The Aristocrat Years

irunthev

Thanks guys, 20 years of wondering put to rest. I'll have to find something else to wonder about for the next 20.

Schkite

There's a video of the man himself on the BBC championship facebook page.

ziggysego

Yeah, BBC Newsline did a piece on him last. I guess the BBC must have been reading this thread, unless......... is the OP Stephen Watson? :D
Testing Accessibility

irunthev

Will we get a reduction in the licence fee for doing Austin's job for him? Good to put a face to the legend though.

irunthev

Quote from: irunthev on September 16, 2010, 01:41:40 PM
Will we get a reduction in the licence fee for doing Austin's job for him? Good to put a face to the legend though.

BBC have just announced that there will be no increase in TV licence fee for 2011. Austin must have read my last post and confessed all. Feels better now Austin doesn't it. Get it all off your chest.

Now, while you're in a mood for confession... exactly how did you go about stitching Jerome up?

MCMLX

Quote from: irunthev on September 16, 2010, 02:36:10 PM
Now, while you're in a mood for confession... exactly how did you go about stitching Jerome up?

He logged in to the gaaboard using Jeromes work computer and made disparaging remarks about his employers. Maybe Austin did it to the Bard of Dunclug also.  ;)