Derry looking for new miracle worker - sorry Manager

Started by lynchbhoy, September 08, 2010, 10:11:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucifer

Quote from: camanchero on July 02, 2012, 02:53:58 PM
did Fermanagh have underage success in order for them to get to the senior AI semi final ?

Not at county level, but St Michaels won 3 MacRory Cups in the previous 4 years, and contested the final in the other year.

I believe Malachy O'Rourke should be the next Derry manager.

screenexile

Quote from: Lucifer on July 03, 2012, 10:15:43 AM
did Fermanagh have underage success in order for them to get to the senior AI semi final ?

Not at county level, but St Michaels won 3 MacRory Cups in the previous 4 years, and contested the final in the other year.

I would not be averse to that notion at all!

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

glensman-derry

I hope Liam Bradley doesnt look about the Derry job.
I have no doubt he is more than capable of doing it. He would bring a good level of professionalism to the setup and you could be sure the players would be fit and have a system of play. You'd either train or you wouldnt be there. Simple.
However, there is no doubt in my mind he wouldnt recieve the full support from different areas of the county.  You only have to read on here and see the constant 'bradley bashing' that goes on.

camanchero

Quote from: Lucifer on July 03, 2012, 10:15:43 AM

ok so St michaels have done well over the past few years, but various Derry schools have also been 'good' in the past while - so nothing really jumps out to say that there was any real underage platform apart from the usual good crop of a few players coming through like every other year.
Fermanagh organised and maximised their potential.  Derry just cannot seem to get their act together for varying reasons - from ill discipline to injuries etc.

I'd not be against MOR being installed as Derry manager.

my pref would have been the McIver duo, or even Eugene Kelly.
MOR would be an interesting appointment and could do a god job - if discipline, inj go his way and the clubs actually support the county team for a change!

Pragmatist

MO'R, Dropsy and Johnny McBride. The former two worked a near miracle with Fermanagh and the latter is a motivator supreme.

shawshank

Put whoever you want it won't matter. Don't have the players. We here for a while. I am that certain of this, that I will pull this quote up this time next year and the following one also. But what we have to do is ensure we play with pride and effort regardless of the quality.

HiMucker

Quote from: shawshank on July 05, 2012, 11:00:26 AM
Put whoever you want it won't matter. Don't have the players. We here for a while. I am that certain of this, that I will pull this quote up this time next year and the following one also. But what we have to do is ensure we play with pride and effort regardless of the quality.
Thats balls shawshank.  Look at donegal.  Few very good footballers.  Rest decent footballers but just put the shoulder to the wheel.  All due respect to Frank mcglynn but there is alot better footballers around plenty of clubs in Derry.  But he has conditioned himself to the max, and is picking up man of the match awards at inter county level.  The lowst ebb, that people talk about is not as low as you think.  Alot can change in the space of one or two seasons.  That Derry team didnt beleive they were going to beat Donegal and they didnt believe they were going to beat Longford.

shawshank

What bit isn't right, the bit that we are here for a few years, or the part where regardless we have to play with pride?

Also all this talk about Donegal, they had an u21 team that got beaten in an under 21 final as a result of a last minute penalty miss to inject into the squad, along with their manager Jim, a seriously important factor. We certainly don't have that. Another is that we had a manager who tried this disciplined approach, who had oliver cummins working with the players ( the Oliver who is Mc Closkeys S&C coach) and to many players didn't have the discipline for it, he chucked a few out and we were up in arms about it. No, sorry we will have to wait until we clear out the deadwood. But hey, maybe your rigth and I'm wrong. I certainly don't know the future.

Wildweasel74

i thinnk McGlynn very good, come on leaps and bounds past few years

tonesfirstandlast

Bring back Shawshank. He brought us to this level, let him get us out of it now.

lenny

Quote from: Real Talk on July 02, 2012, 03:31:33 PM
Quote from: Bensars on July 02, 2012, 03:07:24 PM
Is the decline in Derry football on a national level linked to the decline of St Pats Maghera , or is the decline in St Pats Maghera due to the decline in Derry football ?

The St Pats Maghera decline is due to 2 things    More boys going to St Mary's Magherafelt and Big Adrian McGuckin retiring from the school and this has indeed contributed to the decline of the County Team.   Adrian was completely committed to get the best gaelic players to first of all 'go to St Pats' and then 'coached them' to be good team players with a 'winning mentality' amd yet none of our County Board  members in the last 20yrs have sought his service or his advice.   Buts its still not too late.   No one would relish the challenge better

Totally agree. Adrian McGuckin is far and away the standout candidate for the Derry managers job. Fantastic knowledge and passion for the game. Also working up at UUJ in close consultation with SINI he is totally up to date with modern coaching and not at all old school like some people have suggested.

rrhf