Official Galway manager thread

Started by GalwayBayBoy, September 07, 2010, 05:17:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duine Eile

Maybe I have the wrong Matt Duggan, I presumed he was one of the Duggans from Annaghdown, he's also involved with some coaching scheme at board level I think. This Matt Duggan isn't a guard either.

mouview

Quote from: Duine Eile on September 07, 2010, 10:59:56 PM
I think Ja is traumatised after his last management experience, he was in Peter Ford's backroom team, made a big comeback on the field in a qualifier against Westmeath and had to come off injured after playing terribly. Don't think he has the presence for management to be honest, he's done it all on the field but he's a fairly quiet and unassuming person.

Not entirely accurate. Ja was injured early in the game before he really had a chance to make an impact (and had he continued perhaps we may not have lost said game).

Did I read something that the committee (i.e. top table) are allowed enter a wildcard pick of their own - thus Kearns?
None of the candidates are exactly standout; Duggan hasn't great experience; Waldo would be ok; O Flathartha too expensive?! Fahy has Galway football at heart but really should have gotten the minors over the line v Cork last week; Fallon an interesting inclusion given his Mayo background but going great guns with Barna at the moment.

Great former players don't necessarily make good managers and I'm not sure if PJ would command universal respect in the dressing room at the moment - too outspoken to quite a few players from what I hear. Didn't know De Paor disparaged Val Daly in his book - what did he say?

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: mouview on September 08, 2010, 04:34:59 PM
Quote from: Duine Eile on September 07, 2010, 10:59:56 PM
I think Ja is traumatised after his last management experience, he was in Peter Ford's backroom team, made a big comeback on the field in a qualifier against Westmeath and had to come off injured after playing terribly. Don't think he has the presence for management to be honest, he's done it all on the field but he's a fairly quiet and unassuming person.
Did I read something that the committee (i.e. top table) are allowed enter a wildcard pick of their own - thus Kearns?

Doesn't look like it. The official site only lists the following nominations...

Pat Fallon

Peter Warren

Tomas O'Flatharta

Matt Duggan

Gerry Fahy

Actually in the Times it does say that Kearns may still be interviewed as a wild card alright.

North Longford

Excerpt form the Killoe Emmet Og Gaa notes from July......

LOTTO
Lotto numbers drawn on weekend July 4 2010 were 6, 11, 12 and 29. There was no jackpot winner. e20 winners were Jim McGoldrick, Ennybegs; Alfie Thompson, Esker; Matt Duggan, Galway; Michael Lynch, Clonrollagh; Tony Poule c/o Begleys. Seller's prize Frank Toher Jackpot e8,600. Membership for 'Club Killoe' is now due for renewal. Existing members will receive correspondence re renewal and any persons wishing to join this club initiative please contact any Emmet Og Officer.

After that win he should come fairly cheaply to the Galway county board!!!

GAA_Punter

Billy Morgan "Dark Horse" for Galway football managers job
Written by: Gary Quinn http://www.sportsnewsireland.comb

If money talks, it appears Billy Morgan could be the dark horse for the Galway manager's job. Even after nominations were announced Monday evening, Morgan has emerged as a possible successor to Joe Kernan.

John Mulholland bookmakers have reported substantial money in the last few days for the former Cork manager which forced them to slash his odds from an opening quote of 16/1 into 9/2 before suspending the market.

Earlier money had suggested Frank Doherty was the favoured candidate at home and there was also strong support for Pat Fallon but now it looks like Galway could once again look further a field for an answer to the county's recent decline in fortunes.

Even with the money coming for Morgan it still looks like a two horse race between Minor manager Gerry Fahy and ex-Mayo midfielder Pat Fallon, who managed Barna to the semi-finals of the Galway Senior Football Championship.

John Mullhollands
(tel:1850 722 722)

Gerry Fahy 6/4
Pat Fallon 6/4
Tomás O'Flatharta 11/4
Billy Morgan 9/2
Frank Doherty 8/1
Matt Duggan 10/1
Pete Warren 14/1
Padraic Joyce 16/1
John Divilly 20/1

GalwayBayBoy

Apparently Billy's Morgan's parents were from Galway. Never knew that. Not sure if he's a genuine runner or not though.

robertemmet

Would Alan Mulholland not be in the running?

Frank Casey

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on September 10, 2010, 03:20:13 PM
Apparently Billy's Morgan's parents were from Galway. Never knew that. Not sure if he's a genuine runner or not though.

That gives him twice the connection that Joe Kernan had!!

Billy runs his own financial services company. One wonders if, in these troubled times for that industry, he would have the time for another county job at some distance.

Not sure if he's a realistic option. He won two All Irelands with a good bunch of players and two Kildare men. His second coming was not so rewarding with a couple of right trimmings from the Kingdom culminating in the where was the keeper final of 2007.

KERRY 3:7

orangeman

Speculation linking Billy Morgan with the vacant Galway senior football managerial role has intensified after bookermakers suspended betting on Morgan taking over.

A Galway bookermaker yesterday slashed the odds of Morgan being appointed to the role before eventually closing betting.

While Morgan's name was not put forward in time to meet the deadline for club nominations he could be nominated for the post by the county board.

Joe Kernan stepped down as Galway manager last month, on the back of the county board refusing to sanction the reappointment of his backroom staff.

Morgan is one of several people being linked with the job, with former Laois and Limerick manager Liam Kearns already expressing his interest.

GAA_Punter

Both Mayo and Galway Senior football managers could be known tonight

The Mayo manager will be definitely be announced tonight, With all the late support coming for James Horan to edge out Tommy Lyons.

Tommy Lyons looked to be the front runner for the post after John Maughan pulled out of the race, but it now seems the majority of Mayo supporters want Horan to get the job.

The Galway managerial picture will also become a lot clearer this evening............................

http://www.sportsnewsireland.com/2010/09/29/both-mayo-and-galway-senior-football-managers-could-be-known-tonight/

muppet

There would be something appropriate about revealing Galway's new manager on page 3.
MWWSI 2017

GalwayBayBoy

Whoever gets our job my reaction will be one of "meh" followed by "good luck". Nobody nominated that you'd lose the run of yourself over and not a jot of interest in Galway from what I can tell. Another new man in the door. Hope he's better than the last.

muppet

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on September 29, 2010, 05:53:47 PM
Whoever gets our job my reaction will be one of "meh" followed by "good luck". Nobody nominated that you'd lose the run of yourself over and not a jot of interest in Galway from what I can tell. Another new man in the door. Hope he's better than the last.

I thought the previous manager was poorly treated but that is not saying that our lot are any better.
MWWSI 2017

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: muppet on September 29, 2010, 06:00:35 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on September 29, 2010, 05:53:47 PM

I thought the previous manager was poorly treated but that is not saying that our lot are any better.

Well he probably should have got another year at least but obviously the sums didn't add up. You'd think the county board would have budgeted for two years minimum anyway but it looks like they didn't and wanted to cut costs. I can understand cutting costs but maybe they should have thought of that from the start.

JMohan

I wonder will Tommy Lyons jump into this ring now?