Ulster football negative?

Started by ONeill, September 06, 2010, 11:04:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

Quote from: nrico2006 on September 07, 2010, 09:24:23 AM
I think its lazy to call Tyrone 'negative', a proper analysis would clearly show that Tyrone have a structured and disciplined team strategy, which means they defend and attack in numbers.  Other teams try and copy Tyrone's way of defending and playing, yet people continuously criticise Tyrone as being negative without looking at the vigour they bring going forward.   
Rule nr 1, when mentioning Tyrone in a post on GAAboard, is that total respect must be mentioned, using up at least 5 lines of text. There should be no allowance, for even a hint of a perception from the most paranoid Tyronie,  that there is something negative about Tyrone football. As you point out,  words like discipline/structure/vigour should be used, should a poster be inclined to describe Tyrone football.

QuoteThere seems to be this fantasy that Down play in a great swashbucking style, but again Down have attempted to play the Tyrone way
How flattering ;D   

Quoteon the topic of negativity I recall nearly all the Down team camped out in their own half towards the end of the Kildare game - is this not as negative as you will get?  I don't recall Tyrone ever resorting to tactics like that, tactics that would be akin to what the like of Wolves or Blackpool would employ in the EP
Down had already done enough to win the game. End of game tactics are not reflective of the tactics used generally over the 75 minutes. It is a common enough end of game scenario
Dare I say it, I have even seen Tyrone camp effectively in their own half closing out a game in the final minutes a couple of points ahead, when they felt they had done enough after their (ahem) constructive, disciplined and (cough) truly awesome game.

nrico2006

Quote from: rossglass on September 07, 2010, 09:36:56 AM
Quote from: nrico2006 on September 07, 2010, 09:24:23 AM
I think its lazy to call Tyrone 'negative', a proper analysis would clearly show that Tyrone have a structured and disciplined team strategy, which means they defend and attack in numbers.  Other teams try and copy Tyrone's way of defending and playing, yet people continuously criticise Tyrone as being negative without looking at the vigour they bring going forward.  There seems to be this fantasy that Down play in a great swashbucking style, but again Down have attempted to play the Tyrone way and actually on the topic of negativity I recall nearly all the Down team camped out in their own half towards the end of the Kildare game - is this not as negative as you will get?  I don't recall Tyrone ever resorting to tactics like that, tactics that would be akin to what the like of Wolves or Blackpool would employ in the EPL.

Do you really think that a team holding on for their first final appearance in 16 years wouldn't defend deep to hold on to keep their lead? If the roles were reversed Kildare would have done exactly the same thing.

I think its very naive to suggest that a team would maintain the same mentality throughout the whole 70 (+5) minutes.

There's no fantasy about Down's style. They play direct, they play quick.

Tyrone have some of the best forwards in the country. If Harte had set his team up to give the forwards the quick ball that they need then it's very likely they'd be in the final.

Similarly they have some of the best defenders in the country. They dont need a 7th man in there.

Tyrone would have very likely beat Dublin if they had their shooting boots on, nothing to do with how the team was set up.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Hardy

Jinxy

Quote from: norabeag on September 07, 2010, 12:13:48 AM
Quote from: Jinxy on September 06, 2010, 11:40:31 PM
Ulster teams just need to stop sh*tting themselves at the mere thought of playing Tyrone.
In what part of Ulster are Kerry, Meath, Dublin then?

Dublin beat them this year.
And we always beat them.  ;)
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Hardy

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

blanketattack

I think the most negative thing by Tyrone has been the way they line out with 7 backs and 5 forwards.
Against Dublin they didn't even try to disguise it - the 5 forwards and 7 backs even had their own separate huddles.
Tyrone weren't the first to start lining out with 7 backs and 5 forwards though, there's been a fair few occurrences of it although I can't think of any offhand.

Mike Sheehy

I think its generally accepted that Tyrone sold their soul for sucess...and I suppose you can't blame them becasue at the end of the day that is what matters most. However, it must cause some concern to some gaels in Tyrone that they will never produce a Mick O'Connell or a Matt Connor or a Ciaran McDonald because they value systems over natural talent.

ardmhachaabu

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

MCMLX

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on September 07, 2010, 08:37:37 PM
However, it must cause some concern to some gaels in Tyrone that they will never produce a Mick O'Connell or a Matt Connor or a Ciaran McDonald because they value systems over natural talent.

Peter Canavan?

Naomh Pol CLG

Quote from: MCMLX on September 07, 2010, 10:28:44 PM
However, it must cause some concern to some gaels in Tyrone that they will never produce a Mick O'Connell or a Matt Connor or a Ciaran McDonald because they value systems over natural talent.

Peter Canavan?

Sean Cavanagh?

Nally Stand

Quote from: Naomh Pol CLG on September 07, 2010, 11:35:41 PM

Peter Canavan?

Sean Cavanagh?

Frank Donnelly?
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Nally Stand

Quote from: Nally Stand on September 07, 2010, 11:53:22 PM

Peter Canavan?

Sean Cavanagh?

Frank Donnelly?

Frank McGuigan?
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Nally Stand on September 07, 2010, 11:54:00 PM

Peter Canavan?

Sean Cavanagh?

Frank Donnelly?

Frank McGuigan?

Stevie O'Neill?
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

ziggysego

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on September 08, 2010, 12:03:25 AM
Quote from: Nally Stand on September 07, 2010, 11:54:00 PM

Peter Canavan?

Sean Cavanagh?

Frank Donnelly?

Frank McGuigan?

Stevie O'Neill?

Iggy Jones?
Testing Accessibility