Johnny Doyle for Player Of The Year...

Started by Midlands Man, August 30, 2010, 07:11:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Midlands Man

Hope he gets it , deserves it an awful lot more than Bernard Brogan imo... Some of his performances this year have been brilliant . His workrate has been, far superior to that of Brogan.. 
If u look at Brogans scores this year an awful lot of them have been close to goal , a class forward he his but his been hyped up a bit much i reckon cos of his big scoring tallys.
Doyles been brilliant , look at that catch he made in the middle of the field yesterday , for a small man it was unreal ..Any other forward would of been in around the goals waitin for the ball but Johnny was out winnin it ..

Midlands Man

under the bar

Unlikley to go to a losing semi-finalist no matter how deserving.

NAG1

Would agree that he probably wont get it.

Fíor Gael

Was he really that good? Thought he was average enough against Down, admittedly he shopwed a lot of character and never gave up and it would be hard not to feel for him at the end of the game, but still you have to ask the question was his performance really that good?

moysider

For me the best footballer I ve seen this Summer has been Marty Clarke.

Bacon

He wasn't great when I saw him v Down and Louth.
Down Championships Prediction League Winner 2009

Schkite

Quote from: Bacon on September 05, 2010, 12:07:14 PM

He was poor against Monaghan too. Probably a cert for an all-star, no way he'll get the POTY though imo. That's between Clarke and Brogan imo depending on how Clarke does in the final.

snoopdog

No doubt John doyle had a good year and is a fantastic footballer but i seriously doubt he is in the running for player of the year.
Personally Brogan would be my choice,  in scoring terms he carried the dubs to an All Ireland semi.. Hoping it goes to a Down man though.
I would like to see the scoring stats for both, how many each scored from Frees.

nrico2006

Quote from: Schkite on September 05, 2010, 03:32:31 PM

He was poor against Monaghan too. Probably a cert for an all-star, no way he'll get the POTY though imo. That's between Clarke and Brogan imo depending on how Clarke does in the final.

Clarke wasn't great against Donegal or Tyrone either, Bernard Brogan is a cert for POTY.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Banana Man

i tell you what the way forward seems to be to send a lad to Oz for a few years to get fully conditioned then take him back up like Kennlley and Clarke

Bogball XV

Quote from: Banana Man on September 06, 2010, 01:35:20 PM
i tell you what the way forward seems to be to send a lad to Oz for a few years to get fully conditioned then take him back up like Kennlley and Clarke
Tohill would be a glaring ommission from your list.

Don't think JD has a chance of being player of the year, would be surprised if Clarke gets it as well - he's need a cavanaghesque (2008) performance to take it imo.

Schkite

Quote from: nrico2006 on September 06, 2010, 01:33:12 PM
Quote from: Schkite on September 05, 2010, 03:32:31 PM

Clarke wasn't great against Donegal or Tyrone either, Bernard Brogan is a cert for POTY.

Based on the whole year, Brogan should get POTY alright, but as we know these awards are mostly based on the last few games. Brogan and Clarke were both great in their respective quarter- and semi-final matches, but Clarke has another chance to impress. Think if Down win it and/or Clarke has a big performance in the final he will take the award.

SambaSaffron

Quote from: Banana Man on September 06, 2010, 01:35:20 PM
I don't really agree. Clarke was a brilliant minor, so may well have become a brilliant senior player anyway. I'm not sure what Kennelly was like as a minor, if he was a standout player or not. But he certainly wasn't a standout when he came back. A good player, but lucky enough to get an all-star.

As for Johnny Doyle for POTY, would be very shocked. He was poor in some of the games mentioned above, and also against Antrim. A great player, but not the best in Ireland this year. It has to be Bernard Brogan.