Loyalist Marchers forced to defend themselves from attack!

Started by Jim_Murphy_74, August 30, 2010, 04:49:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Myles Na G.

Quote from: red hander on September 01, 2010, 08:23:30 PM
Quote from: Myles Na G. on September 01, 2010, 08:03:48 PM
Quote from: Nally Stand on September 01, 2010, 06:42:03 PM
Quote from: Myles Na G. on September 01, 2010, 06:14:36 PM
Quote from: Banana Man on September 01, 2010, 09:50:51 AM
myles you have to be the fairest and open minded nationalist i have ever seen, your that honest you constantly beat up on your own people - take a day off ffs  ::)
I don't get many compliments round here, so I'll take that first bit in the spirit you probably didn't intend and say thanks very much.  :)
Not beating up on nationalists this time (actually, I generally don't - usually it's just republicans I take a swipe at, and only because they deserve it). Just stating that northern unionists are as 'native' as those of us with Irish passports. They're a different sort of Irish, not a lesser sort.

Republicanism is a totally legitimate political ideology Myles. So much for outreach.
Belief in an independent, 32 county Irish republic is entirely legitimate. That's what I and many other people in this country believe in. Thinking that it's okay to kill people in pursuit of this ideology is not legitimate and that's what republicans who back (or who used to back) the so called armed struggle believe.

Was it OK for the French resistance to kill people in pursuit of the abolition of Vichy and the reinstatement of France under French, not Nazi, control?
It's not even close to being a valid comparison.

red hander

Quote from: Myles Na G. on September 01, 2010, 09:17:26 PM
myles you have to be the fairest and open minded nationalist i have ever seen, your that honest you constantly beat up on your own people - take a day off ffs  ::)
I don't get many compliments round here, so I'll take that first bit in the spirit you probably didn't intend and say thanks very much.  :)
Not beating up on nationalists this time (actually, I generally don't - usually it's just republicans I take a swipe at, and only because they deserve it). Just stating that northern unionists are as 'native' as those of us with Irish passports. They're a different sort of Irish, not a lesser sort.

Republicanism is a totally legitimate political ideology Myles. So much for outreach.
Belief in an independent, 32 county Irish republic is entirely legitimate. That's what I and many other people in this country believe in. Thinking that it's okay to kill people in pursuit of this ideology is not legitimate and that's what republicans who back (or who used to back) the so called armed struggle believe.

Was it OK for the French resistance to kill people in pursuit of the abolition of Vichy and the reinstatement of France under French, not Nazi, control?

Why?

Banana Man

QuoteQuote from: Banana Man on Today at 09:50:51 AM
myles you have to be the fairest and open minded nationalist i have ever seen, your that honest you constantly beat up on your own people - take a day off ffs 

Will you get a grip, big Ian is more of a nationalist.

Fu*k sake pints i was taking the piss, i think we all know he resides in castle greyskull!

Myles Na G.

Quote from: red hander on September 01, 2010, 09:28:16 PM
Quote from: Myles Na G. on September 01, 2010, 09:17:26 PM

Why?
Let me count the ways...
I'm not going to get drawn into a debate on this, as that would imply that there's a debate to be had. Nice try, though.

Rossfan

All rght for French "irregulars" to kill Germans or people supporting German rule in France but not all right for Irish "irregulars" to kill Brits or people supporting British government in Ireland.

I must have stayed at home from school the day they were explaining that one. ::) ::)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Myles Na G.

Quote from: Rossfan on September 01, 2010, 09:46:19 PM
All rght for French "irregulars" to kill Germans or people supporting German rule in France but not all right for Irish "irregulars" to kill Brits or people supporting British government in Ireland.

I must have stayed at home from school the day they were explaining that one. ::) ::)
Were you in school the day they explained that the only Irishmen (other than Willaim Joyce) to have collaborated with the Germans were your heroes in the IRA? That while the boyos were being ferried around in U boats, tens of thousands of Irishmen joined the British to fight the Nazis? Sort of makes comparisons with the French Resistance a bit silly for that reason alone, don't you think?

tyssam5

Quote from: Myles Na G. on September 01, 2010, 10:12:18 PM

Were you in school the day they explained that the only Irishmen (other than Willaim Joyce) to have collaborated with the Germans were your heroes in the IRA? That while the boyos were being ferried around in U boats, tens of thousands of Irishmen joined the British to fight the Nazis? Sort of makes comparisons with the French Resistance a bit silly for that reason alone, don't you think?

Ask some of the older generation who most people in Ireland supported during WW2. I'd say you'd find it was Germany and why would it not be?

Tony Baloney

Quote from: tyssam5 on September 01, 2010, 10:27:10 PM

Ask some of the older generation who most people in Ireland supported during WW2. I'd say you'd find it was Germany and why would it not be?
Still behind Germany when they saw the extent of the holocaust?

ziggysego

Quote from: Myles Na G. on September 01, 2010, 09:15:56 PM
Quote from: ziggysego on September 01, 2010, 08:12:26 PM
Quote from: Myles Na G. on September 01, 2010, 08:06:26 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on September 01, 2010, 06:56:47 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on September 01, 2010, 06:51:10 PM
I won't say it again. Please refer to him as Lord Bannside. Carry on.
Don't get that one. Sorry.

That's the Paisley's new title and name in the House of Lords over the water in Engerland.
Oh right. Thanks. I can see a theme developing here. Do you fellas think I've no feelings at all?  :'(

What'd I say? That is Paisley's new name.
Testing Accessibility

Myles Na G.

Quote from: ziggysego on September 01, 2010, 10:35:16 PM
Quote from: Myles Na G. on September 01, 2010, 09:15:56 PM
Quote from: ziggysego on September 01, 2010, 08:12:26 PM
Quote from: Myles Na G. on September 01, 2010, 08:06:26 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on September 01, 2010, 06:56:47 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on September 01, 2010, 06:51:10 PM
I won't say it again. Please refer to him as Lord Bannside. Carry on.
Don't get that one. Sorry.

That's the Paisley's new title and name in the House of Lords over the water in Engerland.
Oh right. Thanks. I can see a theme developing here. Do you fellas think I've no feelings at all?  :'(

What'd I say? That is Paisley's new name.
No sarcasm intended, I meant thanks for enlightening me. It was PoG and TB who made the references to Paisley.

red hander

'I'm not going to get drawn into a debate on this, as that would imply that there's a debate to be had. Nice try, though'

You remind me of a little kid who puts his hands over his ears, closes his eyes and shouts "lalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalala" at the top of his voice when he doesn't want to hear anything that doesn't fit into his viewpoint ... and btw, we had this before, William Joyce was NOT Irish

Myles Na G.

Quote from: red hander on September 01, 2010, 11:33:19 PM
'I'm not going to get drawn into a debate on this, as that would imply that there's a debate to be had. Nice try, though'

You remind me of a little kid who puts his hands over his ears, closes his eyes and shouts "lalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalala" at the top of his voice when he doesn't want to hear anything that doesn't fit into his viewpoint ... and btw, we had this before, William Joyce was NOT Irish
No, it's more that I refuse to allow republicans to set the terms of a debate in order to suit their own agenda. Why is it, for example, that republicans always seek to compare the IRA and their so called armed struggle with that of the French Resistance, or Nelson Mandela? Simple. It's because the very act of comparison casts the IRA in a better light. There are, and have been, any number of insurgencies, paramilitary groupings and irregular forces, in conflicts past and present around the world. Africa, South America and even Europe in the shape of the Balkans, have all thrown up irregular militias. Why no comparison with these? Why no comparison with the FARC guerillas, for example, with whom the IRA have been linked? Again, easy question. Republicans would worry that someone might mention FARC's links with the drug trade and such a link would do republicans no favours. It would be reasonable to hold any one of these various paramilitary groups up for comparison with the provos, but republicans shy away from that. Much better to cite the French Resistance as brothers in arms and hope that noone points out that the IRA were Nazi collaborators.  ::)

tyssam5

Quote from: Tony Baloney on September 01, 2010, 10:31:56 PM
Quote from: tyssam5 on September 01, 2010, 10:27:10 PM

Still behind Germany when they saw the extent of the holocaust?

You would think not if it was reported as it is now. But not much point being behind them then as the war was over. But I'm sure for people who experienced the Black and Tans etc. it would have been natural for them to find amusement in Germany battering the British out of Dunkirk etc. I'd say some people switched allegiance after the Americans got involved, they were respected in Ireland at that time. 

pintsofguinness

Only myles could turn a thread about one of his mates punching a 50 year old woman in to the IRA and Nazis  ::)
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: pintsofguinness on September 02, 2010, 08:46:25 PM
Only myles could turn a thread about one of his mates punching a 50 year old woman in to the IRA and Nazis  ::)

It's better than every thread being turned into a Armagh/Tyrone debate
  :-*
You'll Never Walk Alone.