A rumour from yesterday...

Started by RadioGAAGAA, August 30, 2010, 02:51:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

This really annoys me. I sent this email to Croker. I wonder will they deign to repy?

A Chairde.

I wonder would it be possible to get the official stance from Croke Park on the issue of banners on the hill, or elsewhere in Croke Park. Last Sunday a banner erected by Kildare fans read 'They fenced us in, but they won't keep us Down because Doyler and Shorty are in town'. 3 Stewards saw this banner and forced the Kildare fans in question to hand the banner over. I have seen the photographs of this incident, and I must admit it reflects very badly on the GAA in terms of their treatment of supporters, or 'patrons' in the new vernacular.

Is there something offensive about this banner in particular, or is it that Croke Park is hyper sensitive towards criticism of the new barriers on Hill 16? As can be seen from the photographs, which I can send on to you if you wish, the Kildare fans were actually at the back of the Hill, so even the argument about interfering with other fans' views is irrelevant.

I should point out that I am neither a Kildare fan, nor anyone with a vested interest in the Hill 16 debate, but I do have an uneasy sense that the hierarchy in the GAA are moving further and further from being an organisation that is designed to embrace our games, and the people who support and engage in them. It seems to me that the GAA is now taking on some of the more impersonal, business first attitudes of professional sports, and this episode does nothing to challenge that impression. I love Gaelic Games, I'm not sure I love the 'GAA' any more.

Is mise le meas

Donnellys Hollow

Good man AZ. Very well said. There'll be cut price turf coming your way from Allenwood this winter!

What is remotely offensive about that banner? Just a few lads showing their support and appreciation for two individual players who could be their friends, clubmates or relatives for all we know. Johnny Doyle has contributed more to the promotion of the GAA than all the suits and bean counters in Croke Park combined.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Declan

Well put AZ. I remember stewards taking poles of us going into the Hill in years gone by as they could be used as weapons!! Of course it was only the Dublin fans that were subjected to this ;) ;)

AZOffaly

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on August 31, 2010, 03:38:30 PM
Good man AZ. Very well said. There'll be cut price turf coming your way from Allenwood this winter!

What is remotely offensive about that banner? Just a few lads showing their support and appreciation for two individual players who could be their friends, clubmates or relatives for all we know. Johnny Doyle has contributed more to the promotion of the GAA than all the suits and bean counters in Croke Park combined.

Turf coming from Kildare to Offaly? Does the phrase 'sand to Arabs' mean anything to you? :D

I just have a real sense that the GAA is morphing into 'The suits in Dublin' as opposed to being a euphemism for 'Us'.

I always felt I was part of the GAA. Now I feel like I am on the outside looking in, even as someone who is involved in coaching, and has played for years.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 31, 2010, 03:47:50 PM
Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on August 31, 2010, 03:38:30 PM

Turf coming from Kildare to Offaly? Does the phrase 'sand to Arabs' mean anything to you? :D

I just have a real sense that the GAA is morphing into 'The suits in Dublin' as opposed to being a euphemism for 'Us'.

I always felt I was part of the GAA. Now I feel like I am on the outside looking in, even as someone who is involved in coaching, and has played for years.

Far superior quality of turf-cutting around Allenwood, Carbury and Robertstown. Sure ye're only hurling sods of the stuff at each other over in Biffoland!

AZOffaly

Come here now, I'll listen to a lot of stuff from Kildare lads, especially when it comes to Horses or SUVs. But when it comes to the brown gold, I'll bow to no Lilywhite :) Sure ye only scrape it off the top.

Donnellys Hollow

Tomás Connor and Mick Wright had to move here to learn to use the sleán correctly.

Plenty of turf around Clane and Celbridge nowadays!  :D

the Deel Rover

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on August 31, 2010, 03:58:28 PM
Tomás Connor and Mick Wright had to move here to learn to use the sleán correctly.

Plenty of turf around Clane and Celbridge nowadays!  :D

Well put Az it will be interesting to se if you get a reply , and speaking of slean' s ( apologies in advance Hardy  ;) ) any one know where ya  can pick up a  left handed one
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Hardy

Celt_Man

Just pathetic....

Do the stewards have the power to take that off them anyway?  I couldn't actually see me handing it over to be honest...

excellent work there AZ too
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

ziggysego

Great letter AZ. A sensible and dignity letter. Hopefully the reply will be the same, if one is forecoming.
Testing Accessibility

Hardy

Billys Boots

My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

antoinse

AZ you are a hero for putting together such a sweet script. I do not expect you will get a response from Duffy, Cooney, Mc Gill or Mc Kenna.
I wonder how brave that steward would have been if it was the Dubs had the banner!

AZOffaly

Quote from: antoinse on August 31, 2010, 04:59:14 PM
AZ you are a hero for putting together such a sweet script. I do not expect you will get a response from Duffy, Cooney, Mc Gill or Mc Kenna.
I wonder how brave that steward would have been if it was the Dubs had the banner!

Ara lads, I'm only asking them a question. They'll hardly be putting my face on stamps. I was just talking about this with my father there at the weekend, and he's been involved for years, and is currently manager of our senior club team at home. His opinion is the same as mine, everyone is being alienated and talked down to, in the interests of big money. I think Croker has taken it's eye off the ball, and what makes our games special.

I even hate the way they refer to us as 'patrons'.