Is Pat McEnaney overrated??

Started by done and dusted, August 30, 2010, 02:38:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

done and dusted

Judging by his performance yesterday a few questions need to be asked of the country's top ref!

pintsofguinness

If he's not the country's top ref who is?
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

JMohan

It's the umpires who are the problem not Pat!!

spuds

In fairness to him on the square ball issue, he went into the umpire on the Hogan stand side of the goal  and consulted with him after the green flag had been waved. He cannot do more in that circumstance when he couldn't see where Coulter was. On the Down guy jumping over the ball there was so many people about him it was nigh impossible to make out. On both these occasions the umpires shirked their duty.
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

ardmhachaabu

He made a couple of mistakes yesterday, so what?  He's still head and shoulders above other IC referees
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

Hardy

Why did he consult with only one umpire?

Donnellys Hollow

How many threads do we need on this feckin match? I just want to erase it from my memory completely  :'(

Pat is still one of the best referees - not saying much in fairness. Kildare never seem to get the rub of the green when he's reffing us though. In last year's Leinster Final he gave the Dubs everything after Ger Brennan was correctly sent off. Kildare couldn't buy a free that day. In the previous year's quarter final against Cork, Michael Cussen scored a goal that was an even more blatant square ball than yesterdays. Of course, Kildare went on to lose by three points!

Quote from: pintsofguinness on August 30, 2010, 02:46:01 PM
If he's not the country's top ref who is?

David Coldrick for me, and by quite a distance. I think he should get the final now that there will be no Leinster involvement. It would be typical if the clowns in HQ gave it to Kinneavy or whatever he calls himself this week.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: Hardy on August 30, 2010, 02:49:19 PM
it was better than not consulting with any!  ;)
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Hardy on August 30, 2010, 02:49:19 PM

The other fcuker was so useless he needed the support of the back stanchion to keep himself upright all day yesterday:

First Half:

Second Half:
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Hardy

I think he's the one he consulted, Dinny!

Anyway, my take on it is that both umpires were positioning themselves to adjudicate on what they thought was a shot for a point. They were ballwatching. That's why yer man is back there hanging out of the stanchion - trying to get in line with the flight of the ball. I think they were too late to adjudicate on whether Benny had arrived ahead of schedule because they weren't looking for that as he arrived. To be fair, we give out when they get a point call wrong. Then we give out when they're trying to get it right and miss something else.

It's not an easy job. You know how they say women are better than men at multi-tasking. What about ... ?

myball22

yes he's over-rated, Brolly puts him up on a pedestal but don't think he's any better than a lot of referrees. Always seemed in my mind to give Kerry some handy frees when he refs them and there was a lot of mistakes yesterday even if we don't take the square ball goal, possibly penalty and good point waved wide into account.

ross matt

Quote from: Hardy on August 30, 2010, 03:10:17 PM
I think he's the one he consulted, Dinny!

Anyway, my take on it is that both umpires were positioning themselves to adjudicate on what they thought was a shot for a point. They were ballwatching. That's why yer man is back there hanging out of the stanchion - trying to get in line with the flight of the ball. I think they were too late to adjudicate on whether Benny had arrived ahead of schedule because they weren't looking for that as he arrived. To be fair, we give out when they get a point call wrong. Then we give out when they're trying to get it right and miss something else.

It's not an easy job. You know how they say women are better than men at multi-tasking. What about ... ?
If the umpires could'nt see Coulter due to ball watching then McEneaney should have seen him running in there beforehand. It was a bog standard square ball that would have been blown up in a club junior match. Dont know why there are any excuses being made for this mistake. It had a massive bearing on the game. In answer to the question of the thread.... Yes in my opinion Pat is over rated. Decent ref but a media darling.

saffronandblue

We have been saying that he is overrated in Mayo for years and no one seemed to take notice >:(.

If you have seen him in action in the the International Rules Series you will see him in all his glory.....no protection for his own players and he is like a little lap dog for the Australian refs during the game.  He might as well be marked abscent in these games.

Overrated? YES, YES, YES.

passedit

Very much so Marty.

But not by me, I told ye  he was sh1t. Another disaster yesterday, from the first minute foul he gave against Clarke, Down had to work twice as hard as Kildare to get a free.  The square ball was a disgrace though, typical of his cop out mentality. HE had the best view of the three officials (I agree with Hardy's interpretation of the lads looking for the point) and was swayed by the umpire going buck mad with the green flag. He knew it was a square ball, which is why he went only to the other umpire looking for a bail out. The other buck obviously didn't help so he was left up the creek without a paddle. Having gone through this pantomime he didn't have the cojones to call it right (i won't say overrule because it was his decision and his alone). 

Anyways hard luck to Kildare, I hope Geezer and Early give it another go with ye.
Don't Panic

paddypastit

Yes - and has been for some time, and protected from criticism by his own accessability to the media I would suggest.

From experience of him from the sideline, he is a very 'assured' individual and I believe honestly that he has grown to believe in his own interpretation of how the game should be played rather than following any directives.

Forget about the high profile issues yesterday that were almost all down to bad unmpiring, although I accept and agree that he could have overruled those if he wished, what I though was worse is the point made by Passedit (no relation!!) that "Down had to work twice as hard as Kildare to get a free".

That is bad refereeing as against making a mistake. Mistakes will happen, and generally - not always as we saw in the Leinster final but generally - will not of themselves change the outcome of the game, and I don't think that the Down goal yesterday did. Bad refereeing tho' will screw up a game and if Down lost yesterday they would have a lot to be aggrieved about how McEnaney allowed the game to develop.
come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word