GAA measures in place to stop pitch invasions

Started by Peter Solan the Great, August 28, 2010, 08:22:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Jinxy on September 07, 2010, 12:56:47 PM
I'm genuinely getting angry now lads.  >:(

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=135122

When is that man's term up?

At the club's AGM, I think I'll need to get the motion to remove the fences and allow pitch invasions put on the table for the county meeting.

I cannot see many counties voting against it.
i usse an speelchekor

Bogball XV

I agree, but I could quell my anger if they could produce the following actual numbers for me:

1. Number and cost of claims arising out of pitch invasions over the past number of years (ideally they'd provide info covering the past 20yrs, but i'd take 10).
2. A breakdown of the injuries suffered from these pitch invasions.
3. The saving they will receive on their public liability insurance when it is proven that their new measures work.
4. The cost of the new barriers.
5. The cost of extra stewards employed to keep the crowd off the grass (I'm presuming that voluntary stewards are not facing down the crowds).
6. The cost of the reduced capacity.
7. The damage caused to the pitch after pitch invasions and the amounts of money required to repair the pitch over and above that required following games where no invasion occurred.

I would like to know the same for each provincial venue at which this scheme is to be applied, I'd like to know whether or not it will stop there or not, for example what's to stop my local club closing off the pitch unless for authorised gaa activities.  Will I still be able to go up for an unsupervised and unauthorised kick about with my nephews , or would that constitute an insurance risk too (i can't see that it wouldn't).  Will it matter that my granda gave the field to the club?

In short, if they can provide me with some hard facts instead of the usual vague and nebulus bullshit I might listen to them and whilst I may yearn for the colour and atmosphere provided by the invasion, I can accept its demise if there is a valid health and safety concern.
Somehow, though, a bit like the rubbish they used to propagate about attendance breakeven figures, I don't believe what they've told us so far.

supersarsfields

Quote from: Bogball XV on September 07, 2010, 11:47:19 PM

I agree, but I could quell my anger if they could produce the following actual numbers for me:

1. Number and cost of claims arising out of pitch invasions over the past number of years (ideally they'd provide info covering the past 20yrs, but i'd take 10).
2. A breakdown of the injuries suffered from these pitch invasions.
3. The saving they will receive on their public liability insurance when it is proven that their new measures work.
4. The cost of the new barriers.
5. The cost of extra stewards employed to keep the crowd off the grass (I'm presuming that voluntary stewards are not facing down the crowds).
6. The cost of the reduced capacity.
7. The damage caused to the pitch after pitch invasions and the amounts of money required to repair the pitch over and above that required following games where no invasion occurred.

I would like to know the same for each provincial venue at which this scheme is to be applied, I'd like to know whether or not it will stop there or not, for example what's to stop my local club closing off the pitch unless for authorised gaa activities.  Will I still be able to go up for an unsupervised and unauthorised kick about with my nephews , or would that constitute an insurance risk too (i can't see that it wouldn't).  Will it matter that my granda gave the field to the club?

In short, if they can provide me with some hard facts instead of the usual vague and nebulus bullshit I might listen to them and whilst I may yearn for the colour and atmosphere provided by the invasion, I can accept its demise if there is a valid health and safety concern.
Somehow, though, a bit like the rubbish they used to propagate about attendance breakeven figures, I don't believe what they've told us so far.

I'd agree with all that BB. If they could actually provide figures to back up their claims then I think alot of reasonable minded people would accept what they have done. Course there will always be people that won't accept it either way no matter what they are shown.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on September 07, 2010, 09:38:05 PM
Well I was at the game and you are wrong all the rows in the stands were occupied. I think, mind you, that your comment speaks for itself. Many of the posts about this matter appear to have come from people who weren't at the match and didn't savour the atmosphere at first hand. OK I'll admit that the screens are awful, as are the rows of security men ( although I have it on good authority that these were all GAA men working on a voluntary basis) and yes the streamers were a bit crass. However the atmosphere was great, the spontaneous singing of the Galtee Mountain Boy ( although 2 verses would have sufficed), the playing of Slievenamon after the presentations and the crowd all joining in and the playing of Beautiful Day as the team made their way to Hill 16 all added to the occasion. I think the main problem appears to be the fact that RTE chose not to show any of this thus ensuring that its viewers were robbed of the sense of occasion that we all experienced

That is not correct. There are a number of volunteer stewards, but these are supplemented with professional 'event' security firm staff. You can tell the difference.

Hardy

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 08, 2010, 12:21:02 PM
Quote from: Dougal Maguire on September 07, 2010, 09:38:05 PM
Well I was at the game and you are wrong all the rows in the stands were occupied. I think, mind you, that your comment speaks for itself. Many of the posts about this matter appear to have come from people who weren't at the match and didn't savour the atmosphere at first hand. OK I'll admit that the screens are awful, as are the rows of security men ( although I have it on good authority that these were all GAA men working on a voluntary basis) and yes the streamers were a bit crass. However the atmosphere was great, the spontaneous singing of the Galtee Mountain Boy ( although 2 verses would have sufficed), the playing of Slievenamon after the presentations and the crowd all joining in and the playing of Beautiful Day as the team made their way to Hill 16 all added to the occasion. I think the main problem appears to be the fact that RTE chose not to show any of this thus ensuring that its viewers were robbed of the sense of occasion that we all experienced

That is not correct. There are a number of volunteer stewards, but these are supplemented with professional 'event' security firm staff. You can tell the difference.

The sight of these goons running around with the "lap of honour" was hard to take.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Minder on September 07, 2010, 09:47:18 PM
I always like the pitch invasion because when you are in the Cusack and are dying with a hangover you can cut across the pitch and go out the exit between the Hogan and Nally.

It was similar minded people doing likewise that lead to a bottleneck on Jones Road last year (I think it was last year anyway) and was probably the straw that broke the camels back that led to the screens being erected. Was anyone in that crush and has anyone heard any reaction from the Tipp players on how they perceived the non pitch invasion. lap of honour, etc?
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Banana Man

I was both shocked and impressed by Mickey Harte's column today, he didn't sit on the fence and for once flew against the establishment with a well reasoned and well balanced article.

hats off to you mickey

Mhic Easmuint

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on September 08, 2010, 02:44:49 PM
Quote from: Minder on September 07, 2010, 09:47:18 PM
I always like the pitch invasion because when you are in the Cusack and are dying with a hangover you can cut across the pitch and go out the exit between the Hogan and Nally.

It was similar minded people doing likewise that lead to a bottleneck on Jones Road last year (I think it was last year anyway) and was probably the straw that broke the camels back that led to the screens being erected. Was anyone in that crush and has anyone heard any reaction from the Tipp players on how they perceived the non pitch invasion. lap of honour, etc?

I was in that crush/crowded area.  It was bloody mad.  Came out of the Canal end side of the Hogan wanting to go towards the Cloniffe College as thats the direction I was parked in.  Most of the crowd going the other way and the guards trying to make the whole crowd go the one way but it just wasn't happening.  Would have bee stuck in the middle of it for a good 20 minutes or more. 

artisan2010

Have been in the Cusack stand on the last couple of occassions and to be honest getting away fom the semi final was hairy enough through the gate that was opened and it wasnt a full house.  In a perverse way perhaps a pitch invasion is a better option than a potential crush situation at the back of the Hogan and Cusack stands immediately after the match.

The worst I ever experienced was trying to get out of the Old Canal end after a game which was near capacity.  The road bottlenecked and it was 10-15 minutes before there was any movement. 

orangeman

Quote from: 45 metres on September 19, 2010, 09:29:00 PM
It felt sterile today.

Christy descried it as "special" !  ;) :D I'm serious about that too.

Canalman

Celebrations today post game were magnificent imo. Pitch invasions finished for good. Cork lads rigtly lapped the adulation from the hill afterwards and both teams mingled prior to presentation in front of the CE.

Maroon Heaven

Completely different opinion for me today.....

Cork team looked to enjoy it more and much more emhasis on the team. Got a few family on field which I'm sure meant a lot to the players. Atmosphere looked better

No - I'm won over slighty. Still the stupid amber streamers which were again sh1t

Maguire01

Maybe they'll go for the presentation in the middle of the field next year - a bit of pyrotechnics. I don't think they actually believed it would work this year. But yeah, there's probably no going back at this stage.

Jinxy

Quote from: orangeman on September 19, 2010, 09:32:45 PM
Quote from: 45 metres on September 19, 2010, 09:29:00 PM
It felt sterile today.

Christy descried it as "special" !  ;) :D I'm serious about that too.

Christy also described the sausages he had for breakfast today as "special".
If you were any use you'd be playing.