GAA measures in place to stop pitch invasions

Started by Peter Solan the Great, August 28, 2010, 08:22:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MCMLX

Minor injuries? Surely one of these "claims" would be reported in the media? Bulls**t in the extreme.

tyrone86

Peter McKenna will get an awful 'f**k you' email from me tomorrow, it would be a phone call but I seriously doubt I'd make it through to him. Thon was a joke. i only watched it on TV but it was a blatant atmosphere killer.

Minder

Now that Cooneys plan succeeded we will see the sponsors coming out to play more in the next few years. Most likely a presentation in the middle of the pitch with all the associated logos, Champions League style.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

RadioGAAGAA

Get a motion put before congress; "supporters must be allowed on the pitch after the AI final".

Simple. If its voted through, they've no choice but to enforce it.
i usse an speelchekor

Banana Man

Don't worry about the motion, from what I've heard from talking to other down supporters if down win then the pitch will be invaded, simple as that

as one wag said to me ''what do i care about free state laws''  :D

So lads in the interest of freedom everyone should root for a Down win to stick it up chairman Mao sorry cooney

No doubt there will now be a high level investigation by Croke Park to find out who I am, infilitrate the group, issue me with a handler and bring it down from the inside  ::)

Hardy

Quote from: Jinxy on September 06, 2010, 12:22:33 AM
Quote from: ONeill on September 05, 2010, 11:37:00 PM
Jaysus lads I must have a different TV to the rest of yiz. As much as I wanted the fans to scale the walls and for the whole shebang of a presentation to be a disaster, it seemed fine. The players didn't appear care a jot and the supporters shown seemed to be partying away more so than ever.

I assume most of the comments on here are from those who were in attendance? I'd listen to that.

You could say the same thing about '99 when we won the All-Ireland.
Players and fans will look happy because they have won, but there is a horrible sense of detachment.
You smile and clap, but it's just not the same.

It's all personal taste, then Jinx. 99 to me was the best celebration of all. Went on for nearly an hour, unrushed and I got my hands on the cup. It seemed to me the players were hugely enjoying the whole thing yesterday, especially the lap of honour, which they could do and soak up the whole feeling without being mobbed by yahooing bandwaggoners.

The only sour note for me was the yellow-bibbed bouncers running around with the lap of honour. They can f*** off - they have no business in the middle of the celebration. I wasn't mad about the ticker-tape either. We don't need any artifical aids to help us celebrate. The Tipp lads knew how to do it themselves, hence The Galtee Mountain Boy.

Maroon Heaven

Jaysus lads I must have a different TV to the rest of yiz. As much as I wanted the fans to scale the walls and for the whole shebang of a presentation to be a disaster, it seemed fine. The players didn't appear care a jot and the supporters shown seemed to be partying away more so than ever.

I assume most of the comments on here are from those who were in attendance? I'd listen to that.

Was also there - Was pathetic.... Within 2 year's we'll have a big platform in the centre of pitch with the sponsors getting their logo and probably a sign where the team will all stand behind popping champagne with the words "All Ireland Champions - Sponsored by Centra, Guinness etc etc.

There is no reason why the GAA could not allow a controlled access onto the pitch and also have a presentation in the centre of the field

In relation to players not giving a Jot, What do you expect them to do, stand aound after winning an All-Ireland looking at themselves?

The Amber ticker tape was a joke. Thought Kilkenny had won it when I saw it

Bogball XV

the big blue and yellow flags were rubbish, as someone said, it'll only be a matter of time before they've a logo on them, maybe etihaad, maybe promoting the croke park conference centre, who knows.....

I don't get the whole thing, as I've said earlier in this thread, McKenna has only ever thrown out vague rubbish about the amounts paid out in this compensation, would it really be more than the amounts being paid to an army of scary looking bouncers to police the thing?

What's the story with the hill barriers, surely they obstruct vision?  Now, I remember being in the hill when there was wire and you couldn't see a thing depending on where you were, are we on our way back to that?

As someone says, if ordinary members really want this changed, we can put forward motions - it'll not happen though, I don't know if people care that much.

As for the next day, if Down win there could be problems and maybe our first bit of violence after a match as some of the bouncers start kicking shite out of the nordies, if Cork win, it'll be grand - they've plenty of big days after all.

Jinxy

Quote from: Hardy on September 06, 2010, 10:44:35 AM
Quote from: Jinxy on September 06, 2010, 12:22:33 AM

You could say the same thing about '99 when we won the All-Ireland.
Players and fans will look happy because they have won, but there is a horrible sense of detachment.
You smile and clap, but it's just not the same.

It's all personal taste, then Jinx. 99 to me was the best celebration of all. Went on for nearly an hour, unrushed and I got my hands on the cup. It seemed to me the players were hugely enjoying the whole thing yesterday, especially the lap of honour, which they could do and soak up the whole feeling without being mobbed by yahooing bandwaggoners.

The only sour note for me was the yellow-bibbed bouncers running around with the lap of honour. They can f*** off - they have no business in the middle of the celebration. I wasn't mad about the ticker-tape either. We don't need any artifical aids to help us celebrate. The Tipp lads knew how to do it themselves, hence The Galtee Mountain Boy.

The point is Hardy, you could have jammed them all into a phonebox and they would still have enjoyed it.
They'd just beaten the greatest team of all time.
But they'll have no memories of seeing their neighbours and clubmen down on the pitch.
The distance between players and supporters will continue to grow if we continue on this path.
And we'll lose something special and unique.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

gallsman

Has anyone here been at the bottom of the hill watching a game yet? Can't imagine it's too easy to look through the windows with rain teaming down.

Maroon Heaven

There is the orgional barricade in front of the screens and thee is a row of stewads between the Hill and these new screens. For someone to get over they needed to jump over the first barridace and onto the screens. Once match was over the first row of stewads were stopping anyone coming close to the screens and few if any got close to getting over...

In relation to watching the match, give it a year and you will not see much through them. Certainly hinders view from lower in Hill.

During the lap of honor many fans got crushed from what I saw (and you can see in the pics) when the Tipp players started coming towards the Hill. I would have thought this was very dangerous. Free standing area and massive waves of Tipp Fans pushing towards the players celebrating.

I wasn't there on the Hill, but was close on the Hogan to witness it.

In relation to the Hogan, during the game they had plastic mesh on the front row and with the match in injury time we had a wall of stewards lift this mess up with their hands, which built a 6 foot wall right round the pitch. Few if any around me tried to even engauge with getting through

Jinxy

I thought the whole thing of the players and fans on the Hill being separated by a sheet of perspex looked terrible.
This isn't Dublin Zoo FFS.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

ross4life

Imagine if pitch invasions were stopped years ago, we would have missed out on scenes like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fleVeSjB24w&feature=player_embedded
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open