GAA measures in place to stop pitch invasions

Started by Peter Solan the Great, August 28, 2010, 08:22:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David McKeown

Yeah wasn't at all impressed today, the one man who made it over from the hill was immediately tackled by 4 gardai and thrown out.  Then an entire row of people stood on something, I couldnt see what and started banging and kicking the fence whilst others straddled it, looked decidedly unsafe to me and a bad accident waiting to happen.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

All of a Sludden

You had half the stadium celebrating while the other half were making their way out. Normally you wouldnt notice this as those celebrating would be on the field, but it just felt wrong to me. Let the fans on the pitch, its our pitch.
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

Orior

Everyone is saying it was a disaster.

But if the reason they stopped the pitch invasion was because of injury claims for sprained ankles etc, then can we hear from someone who knows someone who made an injury claim?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

DoireGael

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 05, 2010, 09:46:58 PM
Also as the talking heads were doing their analysis, I'm sure I heard 'The Galtee Mountain Boy' being sung, or was it played over the PA? If it was sung, RTE should have shown it. They are the iconic moments.

Thought I heard that.... who was singing it, anyone know?

Jinxy

I'd say they have a meeting scheduled tomorrow to discuss ways of stopping people singing songs that have not been pre-approved by the corporate sponsors.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: DoireGael on September 05, 2010, 11:18:36 PM
Also as the talking heads were doing their analysis, I'm sure I heard 'The Galtee Mountain Boy' being sung, or was it played over the PA? If it was sung, RTE should have shown it. They are the iconic moments.

Sounded like Eoin Kelly himself to me.

What a delicious choice of song, on a day when the GAA tried to crush the freedom of spirit, one of the freest Irish spirits of all time (amongst others) is exalted inescapably in highest glory on central stage  :D
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

ONeill

Jaysus lads I must have a different TV to the rest of yiz. As much as I wanted the fans to scale the walls and for the whole shebang of a presentation to be a disaster, it seemed fine. The players didn't appear care a jot and the supporters shown seemed to be partying away more so than ever.

I assume most of the comments on here are from those who were in attendance? I'd listen to that.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

All of a Sludden

I was there. It just seemed wrong. Hard to put your finger on it, but if I was a Tipp fan I would have wanted to get on the field.
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

Treasurer

I was there and I've a major problem with it.  Getting on the pitch was always a big part of the celebrations.  Ordinary members of the GAA rightly feel an ownership of Croke park and it was appalling today to see youngsters today held back behind the hill 16 fence in particular.

Interesting to see the change of stewards from the end of the minor game to the end of the senior game.  After the minor game there was an amiable looking bunch including women and elderly gents, well spread out with their temporary barrier.  After the senior game they turned into burly bouncer types almost shoulder to shoulder. 

And the minor team presentation was a farce.  Bad enough that we've stopped minor captains from making acceptance speeches, but now we need to drown out the presentation speech with totally inappropriate music?  Great song that it might be, the black eyed peas blaring out about "Getting spaced out" and "losing all control" and "going out and smashing it" etc etc is hardly an appropriate victory anthem for a group of under 18s -  from an association that keeps going on about ASAP programmes etc.

rosnarun

it looked patheic on TV.
the spastics flag carrying and the tickertape looked a poor attept at aping the chaampions league of the eggchasers all that was missing was the forworks and the Sonsors picture of them singing 'champiomi champiomi ole ole ole'
Romantic Irelands dead and gone .
might as well post the fecking cup out to them
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

ONeill

Quote from: All of a Sludden on September 05, 2010, 11:39:31 PM
I was there. It just seemed wrong. Hard to put your finger on it, but if I was a Tipp fan I would have wanted to get on the field.

Well, I swung from 'pro-invasion' to being rather neutral about it after today's events.

The players had the chance to celebrate with each other in the immediate aftermath without thousands of fans, some of whom were maybe attending their first game of the year, slapping the heads off them. The backroom teams etc weren't squashed onto a narrow staircase for the presentation. The Kilkenny players and management weren't herded into either the small semi-circle or away altogther. The fans all got to experience the lap of honour - before this the players just simply disappeared. And the pitch will be in good shape for Benny Coulter.

Just some thoughts.

Jinxy

Quote from: ONeill on September 05, 2010, 11:37:00 PM
Jaysus lads I must have a different TV to the rest of yiz. As much as I wanted the fans to scale the walls and for the whole shebang of a presentation to be a disaster, it seemed fine. The players didn't appear care a jot and the supporters shown seemed to be partying away more so than ever.

I assume most of the comments on here are from those who were in attendance? I'd listen to that.

You could say the same thing about '99 when we won the All-Ireland.
Players and fans will look happy because they have won, but there is a horrible sense of detachment.
You smile and clap, but it's just not the same.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

DoireGael

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on September 05, 2010, 11:24:50 PM
Quote from: DoireGael on September 05, 2010, 11:18:36 PM

Sounded like Eoin Kelly himself to me.

What a delicious choice of song, on a day when the GAA tried to crush the freedom of spirit, one of the freest Irish spirits of all time (amongst others) is exalted inescapably in highest glory on central stage  :D

Yeah thought that myself, that it was a player, some set of lungs on whoever it was! Great to hear

Whats the story with the priest handing over the Minor hurling trophy? Secularity?

ONeill

Quote from: Jinxy on September 06, 2010, 12:22:33 AM

You smile and clap, but it's just not the same.

Don't understand that. I was on the pitch in 03 but didn't bother in 05 and 08. 05 was probably most enjoyable for me.

I do understand the whole aesthetics of the supporters on pitch etc so maybe some kind of delay required if fans are eternally depressed about it. Treasurer talks of the new set of stewards for the senior game. I read somewhere that the stewarding had to be upped from 200-400 because of minor injuries to spectators at both finals last year. Also, I believe some missiles rained down on the Hill stewards today so perhaps those women and elderly gents might need back-up!!