Horrific Story from Saudi

Started by SLIGONIAN, August 27, 2010, 11:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SLIGONIAN

A word of caution for anyone going out to the middle east for work. Sick b**tards.

Fom independent.ie
http://www.independent.ie/world-news/asia-pacific/maid-tortured-as-nails-hammered-inside-her-body-2313660.html

Maid tortured as nails hammered inside her body

A Sri Lankan maid returned from her job in Saudi Arabia with 24 nails inside her body -- after being tortured by the family who employed her.

LG Ariyawathi's body is riddled with needles and nails, which are scheduled to be removed today, a doctor confirmed yesterday.

Ms Ariyawathi (49) returned to Sri Lanka last Saturday from Saudi Arabia and was hospitalised the next day with severe pain. She told a local newspaper that her employers tortured her with the nails as punishment.

"They (employer and his family) did not allow me even to rest. The woman at the house had heated the nails and then the man inserted them into my body," Ms Ariyawathi was quoted as saying in the 'Lakbima', a newspaper published in local Sinhalese language.

She told the paper that she went to Saudi Arabia in March and was paid only two months' salary, with her employer withholding three months' salary to buy a ticket to send her home.

Dr HKK Satharasinghe of Kamburupitiya hospital said X-rays showed Ms Ariyawathi had 24 nails and needles in her body. The nails range from 1-2 inches.

Her initial puncture wounds had healed over, the doctor said. However, she found it difficult to walk because she had two nails in her knee and two in her ankles. Another needle was in her forehead, and the rest were in hands, he said.

The 24 nails are "inside the body due to torture meted out by her Saudi employer," Lakshman Yapa Abeywardena, deputy minister of economic development, said.

Mr Abeywardena said the government would "report about this matter to the Saudi government and provide her adequate compensation".

It is understood that Ms Ariyawathi had been too afraid to complain about the abuse to Saudi authorities, fearing her employers might not let her return home.

About 1.5 million Sri Lankans work abroad, nearly 400,000 of them in Saudi Arabia alone
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Minder

I was reading last week about a court case in Saudi. Two men got into a fight and one stabbed the other in the back and left him paralysed so the judge was asking around hospitals to see if they would admit the defendant and break his back to paralyse him. An eye for an eye. I think under Sharia law the victim can request the punishment/ sentence and this is what he asked for.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Zapatista

Slavery and the torture of slaves is rife in SA. I'm surprised it happened to a foriegn national though. Horrific stuff.

thebigfella

Bit of an overreaction to tar everyone in the middle east with the same brush though. If it was the English posting on a forum  Irish scum at it again after some dissident bomb or something, this board would be lit up like a Christmas tree giving out about it  :P

I fully expect the usual posters to be along soon to hijack the thread and somehow blame it on the yanks with a few carefully chosen publications too ;)

bloodybreakball

did any of yous see the twp teenagers getting ebaten to death in pakistan, there was footage on tv3 there this week. what was the story there?

aontroim

Change the thread title Sligonian. If you feel compelled to highlight the story, then put Saudi in the title in place of Middle East.

give her dixie

Absolutely shocking story, and the b**tard who did it should rot in jail for such a cruel act.
However, given the laws in Saudi, I suspect nothing will happen to him.
next stop, September 10, for number 4......

under the bar

Are the mods going to do anything about the racist title of this thread??

Gaaboardmod3

Title changed. I notice that the 'Are the Mods going to do anything?' posts were made before you actually reported it. At least give us a chance by reporting it first :D

Franko

Quote from: under the bar on August 27, 2010, 01:18:31 PM

The people who did this are from the middle east and are scum.

Hence the title 'Middle east scum'.

Fcukin PC brigade at it again. Get a grip.

under the bar

QuoteAre the mods going to do anything about the racist title of this thread??

Get a grip yourself.  It's stating that everyone in the middle east is scum.  If you can't see the difference go back to school.  I expect you read the Sun and have no problem with headlines like "Irish Scum"?

mountainboii

Quote from: Franko on August 27, 2010, 01:26:56 PM
Quote from: under the bar on August 27, 2010, 01:18:31 PM

PC brigade or people with the wit to realise the idiocy of attempting to generalise a region the size of Europe?

Geoff Tipps

Quote from: bloodybreakball on August 27, 2010, 12:32:09 PM
did any of yous see the twp teenagers getting ebaten to death in pakistan, there was footage on tv3 there this week. what was the story there?

Yeah saw that story. These 2 boys were returning from a cricket game. They were carryimg hold alls. They passed through an area that had experienced a spate of robberies and were presumed to have been the culprits. The locals beat them to death as police stood around and refused to intervene.
Shocking story and certainly stories of this ilk from Pakistan have resulted in the
apathetic nature of the flood appeal response.

ziggysego

Horrific story, but as dixie says, with Sharia Law, probably nothing will be done about it.
Testing Accessibility

Franko

Quote from: under the bar on August 27, 2010, 01:53:41 PM
QuoteAre the mods going to do anything about the racist title of this thread??

Get a grip yourself.  It's stating that everyone in the middle east is scum.  If you can't see the difference go back to school.  I expect you read the Sun and have no problem with headlines like "Irish Scum"?

You expect wrong.  But I do have the 'wit' to know that the story does not refer to the whole of the middle east - just a specific incident.  I dont need some busy body to come on here and decide that for me.  Oh MODs MODs look what the bad boy did...  Wise up, we are not children.