Choking dog

Started by winsamsoon, August 25, 2010, 12:09:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

winsamsoon

Was away there for a couple of days and since i have came back my dog has developed what can only be described as a choking syndrome. The dog is constantly choking and making funny noises as if something is stuck in it's throat. It has done this before after eating grass but this has been two days now. It is boking and sometimes coughs up white foam. It is eating and drinking ok and the general behaviour seems ok. Any ideas as to what may be causing this?
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

The Real Laoislad

You'll Never Walk Alone.

Orior

Has your dog a handy supply of grass? I thought they only ate grass when they knew they wanted to be sick.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

caughtredhanded

Your dog has an upset stomach and is trying to make himself sick. Don't worry its normal although not charming to listen to.

Puckoon

You dog could have twisted its stomach - which is really serious. My dogs had all the symptoms you described and the emergency vet wanted me to take them into the hospital. $$$$$$$$$ - thankfully it resolved itself the few times it happened within a few (nervous) hours.

Is it a big dog? Does he/she eat out of the bowl on the floor? Does it eat to fast?

My boy stopped having this when I bought a dog bowl in a stand that stood up well off the floor so they didnt have to eat so low down. Also I started feeding them twice a day which wasnt as crazy an inhalation of food as feeding them once a day.

lolafrola

Do you call your dog Krang?
Be nice to the people you meet on the way up, because you may meet them on the way back down.

StGallsGAA

small drop of laxative in his food will sort it out.

Maiden1

Quote from: winsamsoon on August 25, 2010, 12:09:37 AM
Was away there for a couple of days and since i have came back my dog has developed what can only be described as a choking syndrome. The dog is constantly choking and making funny noises as if something is stuck in it's throat. It has done this before after eating grass but this has been two days now. It is boking and sometimes coughs up white foam. It is eating and drinking ok and the general behaviour seems ok. Any ideas as to what may be causing this?

Maybe he has something stuck in his throat (like a bone)?
There are no proofs, only opinions.

redboots

Sounds like kennel cough to me, did you leave them in the kennels while you were away by any chance? If you give the dog a spoonful of Benadryl cough formula it should do the trick, that what the vet will advise you to do....
Red Boots

flog the lot

Quote from: Orior on August 25, 2010, 12:28:59 AM
Has your dog a handy supply of grass? I thought they only ate grass when they knew they wanted to be sick.

heard somewhere that if you see a dog eating grass it is a sign of rain....

StGallsGAA

QuoteMaybe he has something stuck in his throat (like a bone)?

Or a small cat?

beer baron

Like someone previously mentioned it sounds like kennel cough,bring to the vets sooner rather than later because the longer it's left the harder it is to get rid of!

supersarsfields

Keyser soze

Quote from: Puckoon on August 25, 2010, 06:29:28 AM
You dog could have twisted its stomach - which is really serious. My dogs had all the symptoms you described and the emergency vet wanted me to take them into the hospital. $$$$$$$$$ - thankfully it resolved itself the few times it happened within a few (nervous) hours.

Is it a big dog? Does he/she eat out of the bowl on the floor? Does it eat to fast?

My boy stopped having this when I bought a dog bowl in a stand that stood up well off the floor so they didnt have to eat so low down. Also I started feeding them twice a day which wasnt as crazy an inhalation of food as feeding them once a day.

Disregard this as Puck was plastered when he wrote this, as he has cheerfully admitted on a number of other posts he has made at the same time as this one.

winsamsoon

Sounds like that kennel cough alright lads. Going to the vet at 4 so will see what the experts say. Opinions welcomed even yours puckoon lol
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.