Mícheál Ó Muircheartaigh, from the Irish Times

Started by seafoid, August 24, 2010, 04:12:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

OK. I'm not going to adopt the role of defender of Fintan O'Toole. I don't like the man and I have more deserving causes. Fire away.

I can't stop myself from mentioning my take on his "content getting in the way" remark. I took it to mean that you don't get the opportunity to luxuriate in the beauty of the commentary when you're absorbed in supporting one side or the other. That made sense to me as I know he's a Dublin supporter.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Whilst the great Mícheál deserves all the eulogies coming his way, especially before the elegies come their inevitable way, I can't make up my mind definitively about the piece. But on balance, I'll give him the benefit of my doubt given the subject matter.

Incidentally, I believe that F O'T spends a lot of his time these days at his place in County Clare, perhaps as much out of D4 as in it.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

spuds

Unless he has moved in the last few years Fintan O'Toole lives around the Ballymun rd/Mobhi rd area.
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

Tatler Jack

QuoteI still maintain the article is shite

I was going to write an 800 word piece with my views of FOT's piece but Iolar has summed it all up in 7. !!!

Kerry Mike

2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: spuds on August 25, 2010, 01:25:27 PM
Unless he has moved in the last few years Fintan O'Toole lives around the Ballymun rd/Mobhi rd area.

You may will be correct there spuds (he's from Crumlin originally), I was getting more at the D4 label that has been bestowed on him.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Orangemac

The likes of MOM, Jimmy Magee and Stuart Hall are legends and their like will probably never be seen again in terms of their description of games.

MOM can be irritating when you tune in and want to know the score in a game. Sometimes you can pick up whether a team is winning/ losing by a little/lot within 30 seconds but you can be waiting for a while before you get the actual score even as scores go over/in.

muppet

The irony of all this predictable 'D4' guff is that Miceal has far more association with D4 than O'Toole.

To me it is a very good 'intilligint' piece, not remotely patronising to anyone who doesn't have serious insecurity issues.

Breithla shona a Mhichil.
MWWSI 2017

seafoid

jimmy Magee lost it for me over Michelle Smith. MoM never would have gotten into that sort of shite. 

rrhf

Article aside what is evident on this thread is that Fintan O Toole or indeed the area D4 are perceived as having no love of the GAA from some on here.  The categorisation of Miceal in the article as iligint  is viewed as patronising, yet in response we are categorising whole swards of a city.  That to me is at least ironic and at worst double standarding. 
I think taken at face value the article is very good and surely we dont want to insist that top journalists write from our perhaps at times "biased" (in the way a mother loves her child) perspective, we want it from alternative perspective and even at times from a D4 perspective...  Just to see how we are in those other eyes perhaps.  But back to the article - Maithamh dublin 4!!     

Main Street

I watched the Semi Final on Sky and listened to Mícheál commentating on rte from another digibox, it was almost in sync for a change.
His commentary was ruined by the co-commentator, who took it upon himself to shout over Mícheál frequently and all too eager to interrupt Mícheál on other occasions.

Hardy

Who was that? I heard him briefly in a clip on the radio this morning.

cornafean

Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

johnneycool

Quote from: Hardy on August 25, 2010, 12:50:45 PM
OK. I'm not going to adopt the role of defender of Fintan O'Toole. I don't like the man and I have more deserving causes. Fire away.

I can't stop myself from mentioning my take on his "content getting in the way" remark. I took it to mean that you don't get the opportunity to luxuriate in the beauty of the commentary when you're absorbed in supporting one side or the other. That made sense to me as I know he's a Dublin supporter.

If O'Toole meant by the "content getting in the way" remark that Mícheál can make even the most mediocre game sound interesting then I'm in agreement with him whereas Mart Morrisey has the knack of making a good game shite by his poor commentary.

Billys Boots

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on August 25, 2010, 10:45:50 PM

You may will be correct there spuds (he's from Crumlin originally), I was getting more at the D4 label that has been bestowed on him.

He lives on 'The Rise' off the Ballymun Road.  I don't know where the D4 stuff is coming from - he couldn't be more D11 in spirit. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...