another brainwave by the greens

Started by the Deel Rover, August 24, 2010, 09:48:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pintsofguinness

Quote from: no mo do yakamo on August 24, 2010, 09:13:02 PM
My advice to anyone making a declaration for commercial tax disc is to state your business as  Builder/ mechanic/ farmer etc  AND child minder.
No need for that when you can tell them you're on the way to/from a job and how are they going to prove you're not?
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Bogball XV

Quote from: armaghniac on August 24, 2010, 05:47:52 PM
This rule is not new, it has existed for many years, but Irish style people have been happy to sign that their vehicle was only being used commercially when in fact this was not true.
exactly, it's just clarifying the existing law.  The more I think about it, the more I'm in favour, there's far too many lads running about in huge 4x4's etc that's been bought for the imaginary business, not only that, but they're probably getting the vat back on the diesel and claiming the running expenses against tax too.

Just to say, that I hope there's a bit of common sense in the application of this, whilst it's hard to police, you have to allow a certain minimal amount of private usage.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Bogball XV on August 24, 2010, 09:21:20 PM
This rule is not new, it has existed for many years, but Irish style people have been happy to sign that their vehicle was only being used commercially when in fact this was not true.
exactly, it's just clarifying the existing law.  The more I think about it, the more I'm in favour, there's far too many lads running about in huge 4x4's etc that's been bought for the imaginary business, not only that, but they're probably getting the vat back on the diesel and claiming the running expenses against tax too.

What about genuine fellas like myself?
I don't have a 4x4 I have a 4 year old Renault Trafic van..

Should I really be fined €900 for driving to the shops in my van that I already pay tax on?
I also give the revenue €1000's every two months in vat returns..ie free money for the goverment that I have to charge for every job I do and then hand it over to them..and thats before I even pay my tax in November.
Now they want to screw us for using a van for going to the shops?
A load of BOLLIX

You'll Never Walk Alone.

mylestheslasher

If a man is on his way to work in his van can he drop the child to school or does the missus need a 2nd car to do that.
If a man is on his way to work in his van can he drop the missus to work or does the missus need a 2nd car to do that.
If a man is on the way home in his van can he go into the shop to buy the groceries or should he go home, get the 2nd car and go back to the shop.

Finally, why are the greens always talking such shite about crap like this that would be impossible to police and is a total waste of time. Is there nothing else these fools can be at.

On the radio today TD Andrews from FF thought it a good time to blather on about Ireland having some system for honouring its citizens like the British mbe thing. Again, has this fool nothing better to be at?

Farrandeelin

Sooner the Greens are demolished the better.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: mylestheslasher on August 24, 2010, 09:39:55 PM

Finally, why are the greens always talking such shite about crap like this that would be impossible to police and is a total waste of time. Is there nothing else these fools can be at.

On the radio today TD Andrews from FF thought it a good time to blather on about Ireland having some system for honouring its citizens like the British mbe thing. Again, has this fool nothing better to be at?

They could get all these work dodgers who have no interest in looking for a job because they are getting to much on the dole out cleaning the streets or something to earn their dole rather than putting extra taxes on the likes of me who are actually out earning a honest living and giving the government thousands in revenue every two months.
You'll Never Walk Alone.

armaghniac

There is a simple solution to this. Vans that are locked in a compay yard pay the commericial rate, those that go home with the driver or the self employed pay an extra €100 or so for occasional social use. But you continue to put your rsi number on the form, if you have a business then you would be taxed as such.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

mylestheslasher

Quote from: armaghniac on August 24, 2010, 09:49:49 PM
There is a simple solution to this. Vans that are locked in a compay yard pay the commericial rate, those that go home with the driver or the self employed pay an extra €100 or so for occasional social use. But you continue to put your rsi number on the form, if you have a business then you would be taxed as such.

If your base is in say Dublin and you are on a job in say Cork do you have to go back to Dublin every evening? Unworkable i'm afraid and anyway there are much bigger fish to fry like why the top 400 earners in ireland only pay taxes from 15-25% as they are getting tax relief for hotels and flats that no one wants

Bogball XV

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on August 24, 2010, 09:26:00 PM

Should I really be fined €900 for driving to the shops in my van that I already pay tax on?
I also give the revenue €1000's every two months in vat returns..ie free money for the goverment that I have to charge for every job I do and then hand it over to them..and thats before I even pay my tax in November.
A load of BOLLIX
what's the engine size?  is the trafic van even included in this, it doesn't strike me as being a small van?

You don't give the revenue a penny in vat by the way, the revenue use you as a collector of vat, that money is and never was yours.

Rossfan

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on August 24, 2010, 09:46:51 PM
[rather than putting extra taxes on the likes of me who are actually out earning a honest living and giving the government thousands in revenue every two months.
Jasus you'll save the Country all on your own  ;D
By the way next time a relative of yours is getting free treatment in hospital ( or do your people only go PRIVATE ) ask yourself where the money to pay for it is got?
I was damn effin glad recently to get looked after when I had a bit of a "turn" , got the best of care and am right again but have to keep takin' th'oul tablets.
I won't be complaining about contributing taxes or levies in future .....unless of course someone tells me it's all going to the cnuts who have to be bailed out of Anglo and Nationwide !!!
As for Gormless ....he is only stating the law as it is .
It was a laugh today to hear a Dublin 4 accented BMW salesman complaining about his customers who might get hit with more road tax   :D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

sammymaguire

Driving a 4x4 and paying lower road tax, does not make sense but shocking bad post there Bogball, state uses people as collectors of VAT ;-( awful
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Bogball XV on August 24, 2010, 09:55:00 PM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on August 24, 2010, 09:26:00 PM

A load of BOLLIX
what's the engine size?  is the trafic van even included in this, it doesn't strike me as being a small van?

You don't give the revenue a penny in vat by the way, the revenue use you as a collector of vat, that money is and never was yours.

Thats my point,I am making them money then then want to take more off me for a stupid tax of the pleasure of using my Van to drive to the shops?
As I said its a load of bollix
Van is a 2.5 litre Dci
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Bogball XV

Quote from: sammymaguire on August 24, 2010, 10:00:39 PM
Driving a 4x4 and paying lower road tax, does not make sense but shocking bad post there Bogball, state uses people as collectors of VAT ;-( awful
don't understand what was awful, it's a fact, any vat registered trader is effectively a vat collector for the state.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Rossfan on August 24, 2010, 09:56:16 PM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on August 24, 2010, 09:46:51 PM
[rather than putting extra taxes on the likes of me who are actually out earning a honest living and giving the government thousands in revenue every two months.
Jasus you'll save the Country all on your own  ;D
By the way next time a relative of yours is getting free treatment in hospital ( or do your people only go PRIVATE ) ask yourself where the money to pay for it is got?
I was damn effin glad recently to get looked after when I had a bit of a "turn" , got the best of care and am right again but have to keep takin' th'oul tablets.
I won't be complaining about contributing taxes or levies in future .....unless of course someone tells me it's all going to the cnuts who have to be bailed out of Anglo and Nationwide !!!
As for Gormless ....he is only stating the law as it is .
It was a laugh today to hear a Dublin 4 accented BMW salesman complaining about his customers who might get hit with more road tax   :D

My People  ??? Laois people ? good looking people? what could you mean I wonder...
As a matter of fact I do have my own health insurance,if your happy to get free treatment thats good for you, I'm happy to pay for Private.
Good on you having a laugh at the D4 contingent,never mind though the thousands of Carpenters,Plumbers etc that this will affect but sure we already knew you have a chip on your shoulder about almost everything already though.
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Bogball XV

LL looks like you'll be safe, you'll just have to produce your businesses registration number when going to the guards for your certificate verifying that the vehicle is used for commercial purposes.  All in all, much ado about absolutely nothing.

QuoteNo rules have changed or are likely to change in relation to the taxation of commercial vehicles, the Department of the Environment said today.

The department was commenting on reports that Minister for the Environment John Gormley had initiated a crackdown on private usage of commercial vehicles, in a move which could cost owners up to €900 per year in increased road tax.

The department said those availing of reduced levels of road tax for commercial vehicles had been required "for decades" to sign a declaration at their local Garda stations that they would not use the vehicle "for social domestic or pleasure purposes".

However, it acknowledged a circular issued to motor tax offices this month contained a change in the requirements for proof that the applicant was engaged in commercial activity.

The change required the applicant should produce their Revenue registration identity number, to confirm they had a business registered for tax purposes, when taxing a commercial vehicle for the first time.

A spokesman for Mr Gormley insisted that this was not a change in the taxation rules, but simply a requirement for supporting proof of an applicant's commercial status.

While the spokesman acknowledged the rules forbade the use of commercial vehicles for social, domestic and pleasure purposes, he said this situation had been in place under many different governments.

The circular was issued to reinforce the existing position in relation to goods vehicles, in the light of growing numbers of private cars being reclassified as goods vehicles, including 4X4 vehicles which are often expensive to tax.

Speaking in Dublin, Minister for Energy Eamon Ryan also insisted that there have been no changes to the current motor tax system.

"There's nothing new in what Minister Gormley is doing. The Department of the Environment regularly put out circulars just setting out the rules," he said. "That's done on absolutely a routine basis, that's what happened in this case, there's no new regulations, no new changes, there is nothing new, there is no change, no additional tax by the Green Party or anyone else.

"It is the law as was yesterday, as was last year as was for many years. There has been no change, nothing different in what people should do under the law."

http://news.ie.msn.com/article.aspx?cp-documentid=154488236