All Ireland Fleadh 2010

Started by Dougal Maguire, August 23, 2010, 11:16:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dougal Maguire

Just back from the All Ireland Fleadh in Cavan. Have been to quite a few but this one was the best yet. Full marks to the people of Cavan Town. They had a hard act to follow after the last 3 great Fleadhs in Tullamore but they were up for it big time. Roll on Cavan 2011
Careful now

ExiledGael

Maybe I chose a very bad time but I went down on Saturday night and I thought it was awful. Unbelievable amount of teenagers in a terrible state falling over the streets, was in three pubs between ten o'clock and two in the morning and the only music I heard was a crowd of doses signing the stupid song out of the darts from Sky.
Maybe during the day or early evening would have been better. Serious crowds though and no real trouble that I seen.

Denn Forever

Glad you enjoyed it Dougal.  Not my cup of tea but the joint was really buzzing. 
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Celt_Man

Holy jaysus.... never again... I've never seen the like of it around Cavan. Roll on next year
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

haranguerer

Quote from: ExiledGael on August 23, 2010, 11:21:29 PM
Maybe I chose a very bad time but I went down on Saturday night and I thought it was awful. Unbelievable amount of teenagers in a terrible state falling over the streets, was in three pubs between ten o'clock and two in the morning and the only music I heard was a crowd of doses signing the stupid song out of the darts from Sky.
Maybe during the day or early evening would have been better. Serious crowds though and no real trouble that I seen.

Those were the days, eh?!  ;)

Dougal Maguire

There were some unreal crowds in the town and while there was a lot of teenagers drinking it was no worse than any other year. Plenty of good sessions both in the pubs and on the street, more so during the day rather than at night but then there's always the gig rig at night
Careful now

Dougal

was in at it most of the day saturday and spent most of the day in a pub ive never been in before,and it was great craic,great music,good weather,what more do ya want.ill be booking the week off work next year for it.
Fcuk you I won't do what ya tell me!!!

boojangles

An unreal week and serious credit has to go to everybody involved in organising what was a brilliant week. The Town was looking superb and I heard of one arrest all weekend. I didnt venture in Saturday nite and I hear I was better off as it was just too jammers but Friday and Sunday nites were superb and even yesterday, finishing off with a brilliant concert with Martin Donohoe, Sean O Se, Seamus Fay and Friends in the Town Hall. Roll on 2011.
The last time I seen such crowds was when we won Ulster in 97.

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ONeill

And they still do lilting and whistling competitions.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Dougal Maguire

They do indeed. WAs talking to a chap from Derry who was competing in the whistling. Looks like the old tradition of lilting won't be dying out for some time either if the following is anything to go by:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rlivgoy5i4&feature=related
Careful now

Tatler Jack

Made the trip up from Cork for Friday night and was there Saturday and Sat night - went on to the match on Sunday. Great crowds, everything well organised and good music for the most part. Well done to all involved and Cavan was shown off in a good light.

There was good music in the pubs on Saurday - music on street was OK but quite a lot of very young musicians with their cases open for money!! Met quite a few old musicians and singers including the great John Kennedyfrom Cullybackey who is still fit and well.

Gather its in Cavan again next year and hope to go for a few extra days and get to some of the concerts.

ballinaman

Any reason why host towns hold it for a few years in succession?Apart from not being arsed to organise the logistics of it every year?

Tatler Jack

Quote from: ballinaman on August 25, 2010, 07:39:36 AM
Any reason why host towns hold it for a few years in succession?Apart from not being arsed to organise the logistics of it every year?

The host town is decided each year but the practice in recent years has been to allow towns to host it for 2 or 3 years (assumig it was a success in year 1).  It takes huge organisation and the experience gained in year one makes organising subsequent years a little easier. Personally I think a maximum of 2 years is enough as its nice to see other parts of the country. However Cavan deserve to be allowed to host it again next year.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: the Deel Rover on July 07, 2011, 01:31:34 PM
Quote from: Ulick on July 07, 2011, 11:00:41 AM
You've left it pretty late Rover. Try the Facebook page or Accomodation Office from the website. I got the loan of a camper van last year and stayed at the equestrian centre campsite - would throughly recommend that, very well organised with electricity points for all vans, showers, restaurant, clean toilets, shuttle bus, etc...

thanks for that ulick do you pre book or can you just turn up on the day

I'm not sure will they let Mayo people in driving such a large vehicle, the last time that happened at a horse fair in the equestrian centre 10 cars were written off and it took hours to mend all the damaged paddocks and locate the escaped animals!