The Real Laoislad

Quote from: ross4life on January 13, 2011, 04:15:15 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on January 13, 2011, 11:05:47 AM
Quote from: ross4life on January 12, 2011, 05:22:16 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on January 12, 2011, 09:19:04 AM
Quote from: Boycey on January 11, 2011, 07:10:20 PM
Quote from: gallsman on January 11, 2011, 07:02:39 PM
Quote from: Boycey on January 11, 2011, 02:30:51 PM
Not a fan of Andy Gray but I'm not sure thats exactly what he said.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gop7ZLIL-g&feature=player_embedded

Thanks for proving my point
My comment was tongue in cheek, I knew exactly what Gray had said, however to contend that La Liga is not as good as the PL is just crap, even Gerry Armstrong broke ranks with his fellow Brits on Sunday evening when he stated that the ball control and ability of even the lesser teams in La Liga was superior. I watch both leagues every week there is no comparison, yet British commentators insist on perpetrating this shite of the best league in the world. Take out the foreign players and its crap, just look at the English performance in the World Cup. But even the foreign players are battered into submission.

Understand what your saying but the bit in bold is not a good example? during the late 70s early 80s when the English league was at the best in Europe the England team was still crap! failing at major tournaments.
I remember watching one of Liverpools European Cup Finals from the 80's, a while back, there was 1 English Player might have been Clements the others were Welsh Scots and Irish. But there is definitely a gap in ability between "British" players and the Continentals. I do accept that soccer allows a team to play a flat back 11 which even Barca or Real would struggle at times to break down in certain circumstances...That's why I prefer GAA the best teams win more often.

Yes by the mid 80s Liverpool were Welsh Scots and Irish team. first team to start a Fa cup final without any English players in 1986,

Mark Lawrenson is English sometimes,depends on which show he is on...
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Puckoon

I dont know how relevant this is - but I play a lot of soccer over here in the city  - and its primarily against hispanic fellas, from all over Latin America. Even the worst of them is very comfortable on the ball, and some of them who have played in the professional leagues in the smaller south American countries just amaze you with their control, touch - and most impressive of all - the power in their shots. I play with some ex pats, ex Rangers youth player, ex Lisburn Distillery player, and some NCAA-1 college soccer players and 1 ex MLIS player and in an indoor game, we have to set up very defensively to play these guys as they will tear you to shreds in a small sided game. In the outdoor full sided game however they are just not able to cope with the physical aspect of team play. Play a solid back 4 against them and hit them on the break with quick ball movement (very little of the fancy technical stuff) and you'll beat them every time.

These types ("Continental") of players are coached from a very early age with close ball control - whereas a lot of the English and Irish guys I play with who were coached soccer are ingrained with the defence first and quick solid passing. Two completely different philosophies and you can see it as clear as day when you put a bunch of ex pat gringos up against a hispanic team. That and the fact that there is a good foot of height difference across the field.

ross4life

Andy Gray at it again in the Star newspaper today.

He doesn't understand how Messi who failed to shine in the World cup won the Ballon D'Or & he thinks La-liga games are testimonial like (too easy for R Madrid,Barca) & thinks it's one of the least competitive leagues in Europe. even the SPL is tougher  :o

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

paco

I really want to like Andy Gray, but he repeatedly insists on making a fool out of himself, just because Messi didn't score at the WC doesn't mean he didn't play well. He didn't score in the Clasico either, but I think it's fair to say his performance that night wasn't too shabby. La Liga is becoming worryingly uncompetitive, although I think it's a far cry from the SPL at this stage. I could imagine Valencia or Villareal winning La Liga in the next few years, as unlikely as that is, there's a far better chance of it happening than anyone outside Celtic or Rangers winning the SPL.

gallsman

Madrid dropped two points away to bottom club Almería. Ronaldo crashed a free kick off the bar at the death to almost snatch it.

Iniesta has but Barca 1-0 with a cracking first time strike at home to Málaga.

ross4life

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

sammymaguire

UNBELIEVABLY quiet at the Camp Nou during play and they are 2-0 up  ???
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

gallsman

2-0 up and not twenty minutes gone. God knows what it will end up.

gallsman

ross4life

Can't really call it a good game? more like a practice stuff for Barca.

Coming up the thoughts of Guillem Balague i'd rather watch the All-Ireland talent show.

Minder

Quote from: ross4life on January 16, 2011, 08:51:52 PM

Coming up the thoughts of Guillem Balague i rather watch the All-Ireland talent show.

What did Balague do on you?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

gallsman

Quote from: Minder on January 16, 2011, 08:53:10 PM

Coming up the thoughts of Guillem Balague i rather watch the All-Ireland talent show.

Apparently he's the Spanish Eammon Dunphy.

ross4life

One of those "what did the romans ever do for us" comments?

Hole in one Galls.

gallsman

Quote from: ross4life on January 16, 2011, 09:07:26 PM

Hole in one Galls.

I'm not agreeing with you - I'm just pointing out what you gave as your reason a few days ago (or at least tried to).

Most people would say Balague is an excellent journalist.

Perhaps you could give us some specific examples as to why exactly you dislike his punditry?

ross4life

Quote from: gallsman on January 16, 2011, 09:12:41 PM
Quote from: ross4life on January 16, 2011, 09:07:26 PM

Hole in one Galls.

I'm not agreeing with you - I'm just pointing out what you gave as your reason a few days ago (or at least tried to).

Most people would say Balague is an excellent journalist.

Perhaps you could give us some specific examples as to why exactly you dislike his punditry?

Who's the most Liverpool or Barcelona fans? & some also think Dunphy is a good journalist/pundit

Look for examples? look yourself I'm not your messenger boy.