La Liga 2010/11 season

Started by ross4life, August 23, 2010, 06:50:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David McKeown

Quote from: Applesisapples on November 30, 2010, 02:40:43 PM
Quote from: paco on November 30, 2010, 08:49:35 AM
I would definitely argue that it was one of the biggest games in his career. When you take into consideration the fact that Barcelona's most hated person was coming to the Nou Camp as manager of their most hated team, Mourinho's comments in the days and weeks before, the whole Messi v Ronaldo thing, the meda's build up to the match, and the fact that the 2 clasicos have decided the league for the past 2 seasons, I would say it really is that important. I see Guardiola is his usual modest self this morning, reckons "it's not true that we are much better than Real Madrid."
I don't think Barca give a fcuk about Mourinho, and Ronaldo is no Messi...never wil be....Oh and yes I would be a fan.

No hes not but for me neither of them are as good as one of the other players on show last night, that being Xavi who completely dominated the tempo of the game and was the key building block in Barca's success.

2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Evil Genius

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on November 29, 2010, 09:59:10 PM
Quote from: sammymaguire on November 29, 2010, 09:54:24 PM
You just dont see football like this in England

No, but watch Stephen Watson try and big up the Linfield v Glentoran game on Boxing day. He will have you believe it will just be as good.
I don't doubt that Watson will try to "big up" the meeting of the "Big Two" on Boxing Day - it's part of his job, after all.

But I somehow doubt that he will do so by asserting that it will be "just as good as" El Classico.

Though if it were me personally, I'd be saying it will be even better! After all, whilst Barca and Real might have some decent enough players, could any of them manage anything like this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzAZTdyOXcA
;)
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Evil Genius

Quote from: Applesisapples on November 30, 2010, 12:15:39 PMOne thing pisses me of though is Sky commentators continuing to promote the premiership as something for La Liga players and coaches to aspire to. Get Real (no pun intended) the best league in soccer is La Liga at the moment.
There can be little doubt that Barca are better than enything in the EPL right now and it might plausibly be argued that Real are*, too.

However, if you look at the rest of the respective Leagues, 3rd downwards in Spain are a long way behind the top two;
http://www.skysports.com/football/league/0,19540,11826,00.html
Indeed the way things are going, La Liga could end up like eg the Scottish or Dutch Premier Leagues (albeit with several more 000's on the end)

Whereas England can argue that they have five teams who are strong and competitive in global terms, with the middle ranking teams being capable of beating any of those on occasion.

Perhaps the best guide will be found after the Champions League has ended? Barca have got to be strong favourites, but depending on the draw, I suspect the four English clubs could well outdo Valencia (esp) and Real.

* - Not quite so sure myself, mind.
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

paco

Messi is the best player in the world, but Xavi will pick up all the player of the year awards, I think. He's been consistently excellent for 5 or 6 seasons and they usually give it to a WC winner in a WC year. Madrid are definitely better than anyone in England and the "La Liga is a glorified SPL" argument is one I've seen argued on numerous forums. Firstly, I think it's important to remember that the EPL is a 2 horse race as well, the last time any team outside Madrid or Barcelona won the league was the same year anyone but Chelsea or United won it in England. We can argue all day about the gap in quality in Spain, but I think we should be thankful we get to see record breaking players/teams and fantastic battles between the best club team of the past 30 years and Real Madrid, who always provide entertainment/controversy. I think I know who I'd rather have out of Gary Hooper and Leo Messi anyway!

ross4life

Quote from: paco on November 30, 2010, 06:49:51 PM
Madrid are definitely better than anyone in England

Real Madrid could get Spurs in the Champions league & knock them out to continue their poor record in this competition for 7 years

& having watched them last night they haven't improved much from the hammering they got off Liverpool or the 6-2 defeat to Barcelona over a year ago.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

paco

I can't see that happening Ross. Spurs don't have anywhere near the quality of Barcelona and, as bad as they were last night, Ronaldo et al would destroy Spurs shaky defence. Although it would be the same at the other end with Bale v Ramos, but they would need more than him to beat them. Real Madrid recieved the sort of hammering they've been handing out all season, Mourinho is right when he says the league isn't over, but it'll be interesting to see how they recover with some tough fixtures over the next few weeks and some heavily battered egos.

ross4life

Mourinho needed couple of season to find the right balance/defence at Inter & Spurs won't fear them having watched this
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

paco

That was last year! Also, IIRC Higain missed an open net when it was still 0-0. As much as it might not have looked it last night, Carvalho has added solidity and discipline to Madrid's defence and has played against a lot of Tottenham's players before. If such a fixture materialised, any hope of a Spurs victory would be largely dependant on Gareth Bale's performance, as Ramos can be easily exploited defensively.

ross4life

Was only 8 months remember when Rooney was scoring from open play, "Madrid crashed out of the Champions League at the first knockout round for the sixth year in succession"

I'm sure with all the millions spent & with Mourinho in charge they can improve on that stat this season.

paco

Quote from: ross4life on November 30, 2010, 07:45:57 PM
Was only 8 months remember when Rooney was scoring from open play, "Madrid crashed out of the Champions League at the first knockout round for the sixth year in succession"

I'm sure with all the millions spent & with Mourinho in charge they can improve on that stat this season.

Here's hoping they don't :) Reading on Marca here that they're apparently weighing up the possibility of signing Hugo Almeida or Emmanuel Adabayor in January, nothing like signing another striker to keep the fans happy!

Minder

Why are you talking about Rooney?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

ross4life

Quote from: Minder on November 30, 2010, 07:52:48 PM

Why are you talking about Rooney?

That match was played in March the same time Wayne was scoring from open play

Orangemac

I wouldn't bet against Mourinho turning it round yet.This defeat will give him an argument for bringing in extra defenders in January.

Barca on song can live with anyone but as Inter showed last year, a team set up to hit them on the break can beat them.

Premiership has got weaker and it is hard to see any of them winning it.

Applesisapples

Quote from: Orangemac on November 30, 2010, 11:51:13 PM
I wouldn't bet against Mourinho turning it round yet.This defeat will give him an argument for bringing in extra defenders in January.

Barca on song can live with anyone but as Inter showed last year, a team set up to hit them on the break can beat them.

Premiership has got weaker and it is hard to see any of them winning it.
Watch that match again, on another night Barca could have had 5 or 6 goals, Inter rode their luck a bit.

Clown

Quote from: David McKeown on November 30, 2010, 04:39:49 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on November 30, 2010, 02:40:43 PM
Quote from: paco on November 30, 2010, 08:49:35 AM
I would definitely argue that it was one of the biggest games in his career. When you take into consideration the fact that Barcelona's most hated person was coming to the Nou Camp as manager of their most hated team, Mourinho's comments in the days and weeks before, the whole Messi v Ronaldo thing, the meda's build up to the match, and the fact that the 2 clasicos have decided the league for the past 2 seasons, I would say it really is that important. I see Guardiola is his usual modest self this morning, reckons "it's not true that we are much better than Real Madrid."
I don't think Barca give a fcuk about Mourinho, and Ronaldo is no Messi...never wil be....Oh and yes I would be a fan.

No hes not but for me neither of them are as good as one of the other players on show last night, that being Xavi who completely dominated the tempo of the game and was the key building block in Barca's success.

Disagree - Messi is the best player on the planet at the minute by a distance,his goal scoring record in recent seasons is unreal
he can do everything, showed on monday night his great vision, and i love his attitude
a sublime player, the best since Maradona and he's still only 22 isn't he?

i would have Xavi and Iniesta at 2 and 3 on the worlds best list though, it must be easy playing in defence behind these fellas, they never lose the ball