La Liga 2010/11 season

Started by ross4life, August 23, 2010, 06:50:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paco

Quote from: David McKeown on December 03, 2010, 02:52:22 PM
Can't find anything on the net about it but heard a radio bulletin there saying the final three for the Ballon D'or are Sjnedier Iniesta and Xavi

If true, that's a complete farce. Someone will probably disagree with me, but I don't think Sneijder had that good a season. They won the CL with Milito's goals and the solidity/discipline of their defence, he got to a WC final and scored 5 goals, but IIRC at least 2 of them were own goals/deflections and Holland never really impressed during the tournament. He won't win it, surely they have to give it to Xavi, but the fact that Messi didn't make that shortlist after 47 goals in 49 games (never mind his stats this season!) is ridiculous.

David McKeown

Quote from: Puckoon on December 03, 2010, 03:10:08 PM
Quote from: David McKeown on December 03, 2010, 01:33:16 AM

I completely disagree and would actually say the opposite Xavi creates as much if not more out of nothing than Messi, the difference being Xavi creates chances for others and therefore doesn't get the same credit.

Yes - provided there is sufficient quality on the other end to complement the work he does. That is my point. Xavi creates a lot of chances - and is a joy to watch - but if he was playing with a poor team much of what he would create might go down the shitter, whereas Messi would create it and and finish it himself.

All opinions I suppose but without good players round him feeding him the ball I don't think Messi would have anywhere near the same impact he does at Barca. For me Xavi could be the lifeblood of a poor team more than Messi.

As for the Ballon D'or I would have had Messi in there but personally would rate those three as three of the best four players in the world this year
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Puckoon

I mean when all is said and done David - I'd take either of them at the Emirates!  :D

ross4life

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

paco

1st time I've seen Xavi top on the betting websites, good to see. I would agree that Sneijder would be in the top 4 best players in the world, but IMO the top 3 (Messi, Xavi, Iniesta) are a lightyears ahead of the rest (Sneijder, Villa, Ronaldo, etc.), anyone who has watched them week in week out for the past few years would agree. That list can't be taken seriously anyway, Miroslav Klose made it after all!

gallsman

Have stayed away from this thread for a while due to the inevitable invasion of "sure he wouldn't do that in England" brigade. One of my friends turned round to me last night when we were watching the highlights for the umpteenth time and said "I'm not sure Villa would have made it in England." Felt an almost irresistible urge to smack him.

There was a comment earlier about Spain having a dominant "Big 2" and that La Liga isn't as competitive as the Premiership. The reason for that is that in recent years Chelsea an United have both regressed considerably - both have clearly poorer squads than three seasons ago. Yet nobody realistically looks outside either of them for likely champions. The next tier of teams in Spain (Valencia, Sevilla etc.) would all comfortably compete with Spurs/Arsenal/Liverpool.

Ross, the chance of Tottenham beating Real Madrid over two legs is about as likely as anyone believing any of the crap you ever come out with on this forum. They're a stunning team with a brilliant manager - they just happened to get beaten by a better one. Everyone on here laughs at the thought of Bale attacking Ramos. Neither of the da Silva twins are hardly top quality players now, are they? Wes Brown had Bale in his pocket. I'd imagine Ronaldo running at Alan Hutton would be a lot more terrifying than Bale running at Ramos.

gallsman

Quote from: Declan on December 03, 2010, 03:00:12 PM
QuoteMy favourite would probably be the one at 2:14.
Agreed - genius

Sid Lowe raved about that one last year. Get's better with each viewing. Iniesta's on Monday for Xavi's goal wasn't too dissimilar.

ross4life

Gallsman if you chosen to read right you would have seen i was talking about Madrids poor record in the Champions league in recent years (just using Spurs as example)

If they don't buy some good defenders in the Jan transfer window they will be heading for a early exit again.

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

gallsman

Quote from: ross4life on December 03, 2010, 05:16:02 PM
Gallsman if you chosen to read right you would have seen i was talking about Madrids poor record in the Champions league in recent years (just using Spurs as example)

If they don't buy some good defenders in the Jan transfer window they will be heading for a early exit again.

It's not about buying defenders - that's what's been their problem over the last seven seasons. The squad changes so often there's no consistency. Dani Alves can't defend for shit and Barcelona have won two league titles and a Champions League with him.

This year Mourinho appears to be actually have turned them into something of a team as opposed to a collection of galacticos. I fancy them to break the hoodoo this year and while they're capable of going the whole way, I don't think they will.

ross4life

Thats the thing about Barcelona defenders how good are they really? barca have on average 70% possession of the ball in games as result the defenders don't get tested as much as others!

gallsman

Quote from: ross4life on December 03, 2010, 05:38:11 PM
Thats the thing about Barcelona defenders how good are they really? barca have on average 70% possession of the ball in games as result the defenders don't get tested as much as others!

Depends who your talking about. At the minute Pique is probably the best defender on the planet. I've loved Puyol ever since he broke through but he's chronically slow these days.

paco

Dani Alves makes up for his defensive shortcomings with incredible stamina and pace, I've never seen a man cover as much ground during a match. Annoying as his theatrics etc are, he puts in some shift every week.

gallsman

Quote from: paco on December 03, 2010, 05:45:42 PM
Dani Alves makes up for his defensive shortcomings with incredible stamina and pace, I've never seen a man cover as much ground during a match. Annoying as his theatrics etc are, he puts in some shift every week.

Agreed, but doesn't mean he can't be attacked. If someone gets at him he's vulnerable.

ross4life

Pique looks like the Rolls Royce defender while Puyol (was never blessed with pace) is a pure warrior though If Xavi,Iniesta got injured it would be interesting to see how good they really are?

Minder

Iniesta has been injured a lot in the last 12-18 months.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"