AI Football Final 2010: An Corcaigh vs An Dún

Started by under the bar, August 23, 2010, 02:25:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

It'll be interesting what Cork have in store for Marty Clarke. Talk all you want about Hughes, King and Benny but Marty is the x-factor that has transformed Down from a team that gets bate by Wicklow to possible All-Ireland champs. I'm really looking forward to seeing Marty on this stage. I watched him down at St Galls a few years ago playing a college game for Kilkeel and his natural talent was better than anything I saw coming through Tyrone at that time.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Cork do a Tadhg on him and try to eliminate him early.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

5 Sams

Paidi Se hasnt got one right all year...looking forward to his piece in the Indo Sun morning.

BTW No 1 leave my chauffeur alone...he can say what he wants!!
The Aristocrat Years

5 Sams

Quote from: ONeill on September 17, 2010, 12:05:02 AM
It'll be interesting what Cork have in store for Marty Clarke. Talk all you want about Hughes, King and Benny but Marty is the x-factor that has transformed Down from a team that gets bate by Wicklow to possible All-Ireland champs. I'm really looking forward to seeing Marty on this stage. I watched him down at St Galls a few years ago playing a college game for Kilkeel and his natural talent was better than anything I saw coming through Tyrone at that time.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Cork do a Tadhg on him and try to eliminate him early.

This didnt eliminate him....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeC83-99f0w

...so what are Cork gonna do...shoot him???
The Aristocrat Years

paddypastit

70minutes of the championship to go and I have to say that I can hardly wait for Sunday's game. I see it as a major clash of styles that will make for a classic game.

At the beginning of the year I had a fancy for Down to be involved in the August shakeup but I then downgraded their chances after the cave in against Tyrone. By the time they got as far as the Kerry game though, my sense that they had something going for them was restored and they have justified that expectation.

They have a really well organised defence in whiuch there is no 'star' but a great work ethic and co-ordinated response. I read somewhere that they conceded less scores than any other team in the league and the meanness has continued through most of the championship. They have a big ball winning, space dominating midfield that can play ball as well and a mercurial set of forwards that combine flair and grind – tons of natural football and a well developed  variety in their game.  Clarke and Coulter are well celebrated but Poland's probing and Hughes' pace are equally vital while McCummiskey is delivering consistently – it is a good balance.

Cork too have many merits.  Their size and strenght is well documented and they have one of the most forceful half back lines around, all of whom are a threat in attack as well as strong under the ball.  Again big strong midfielders are four a plenty.  Up front, Cork has a different style of forward than Down – there is more stong running and individual rather than team plays.

Looking a bit more critically, I think that there are two ways to make inroads to the Down defence – either work the ball slowly up a wing and then switch flanks quickly as they play a 'last man around' defensive system that is vulnearable to that quick switch in the point of attack. That though does require that the Cork FF line raise their game and show and win their own ball – more than we have seen this year so far.  The other big play is to 'clear out' the centre of the Down defence and get Kelly and Kerrigan (and probabaly Sheehan and Walsh) coming onto ball  through that central corridor.

At the other end getting Clarke, Poland and Hughes on the ball and playing football going forward is the big challenge for Down. They will have an advantage on their defenders in terms of mobility and pace but will not want to be fighting for dirty ball themselves too often if they are to be available to cause damge to Cork with the ball.

For Cork to win, they have to deliver up front and combine to punch holes, get in between the Down backs and isolate them in one on ones rather than get swallowed up in a well balanced and practiced defence.  For Down to win they have to hold the ball and be patient as the chances will come if they make sure to have the ball to take them.

In getting this far, Tyrone apart, Down has progressed from game to game and have impressed most in the last three games. Question is have they played to their limits or is there more to come? Cork on the other hand have progressed without impressing once. There is potentially a lot more to come and if it does it could be irresistable. I backed Down to beat Kerry and think that they have the game to win an All Ireland but they have to maintain an already high standard. Cork have a lot of ground to make up. If they get it right, could blow anyone away.  I have a slight (very slight) preference for Down but I've backed the draw at 8/1
come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word

nrico2006

Has anybody got stats for what the players of both sides have scored in this years championship and how much of it has been from play.  What's the craic with McComiskey, seemed to be a star in the making the past few years yet nobody bothers to mention him these days.  From what I have saw of him he is in the Mickey linden/JMC Jnr mould with his blistering pace, and I think he could actually be the match winner on Sunday.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Banana Man

some brave loyal soldier stormed my 4 foot high hedge, with a complete disregard for his own safety and caring not about his own health and removed my down flag, he then flirted with danger once more and climbed the 3 foot fence of my pensioner neighbour and librated the brazen down flag flying there too, with one swoop he managed to snap the bamboo cane holding it with his bare hands. No surrender  ::)

leenie

what does the down crest stand for, the corn/ship/spinning wheel?
I'm trying to decide on a really meaningful message..

omagh_gael

Has this been posted yet? Interview with yer man on top of the nally stand that was being discussed a while back.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/northern_ireland/9003181.stm

Quarterback

Really looking forward to Sunday... Ive a feeling its going to be a very close game with Down's firepower mayb just shading it.  I think Paddy Tally has to take alot of credit for where this down team has come from and where that are now.  His team setup, conditioning etc has been invaluable to the down setup.  The team sets up very much like the Tyrone team of old....Clarke in the Mc Guigan role, Hughes in the Dooher role, Coulter as the O'Neill role etc....Lets hope the lads can bring Sam north again....

Mourne Rover

I think the game O'Neill is talking about was St Louis v Omagh CBS in a MacRory group match at Milltown in late 05/early 06. There were only a handful of spectators on a wet Saturday morning but it was a privilege to see Marty's full range of skills on the day. Even apart from his ability in possession, his pace and his determination to take the right early option meant that Omagh never laid a hand on him. St Louis won the game, but sadly did not manage to go all the way. Here's hoping that he gets one step further on Sunday.

rrhf

Agree quarterback - A Tally and Mc Ivor (Down) win would leave debate on the Tyrone management in years to come very interesting.  On the game I fancy Down big time in a game of football.  I fancied Cork in the same way last year.  Cork felt they could be cynical with Tyrone last year and play football with Kerry in the final.  Kerry ate them alive, decapitating their title challenge with decapitating hits.  Who in Cork will try for Clarke on Sunday... Maybe there is no one?  A young inexperienced team would lose direction without 1 or 2 of their talismen.  If Clarke gets hit bad and early Id fancy the Cork men.  I hope Im wrong here but if you were looking at losing your third ai final, after 2 watery efforts, what would you do? 

J OGorman

Quote from: ONeill on September 17, 2010, 12:05:02 AM

thats it, Martin Clarke strikes ye as the kind of chap that wont be phased by the big occasion and thus we can near expect a big game from him..so it will be very interesting to see how Cork approach the MC dilemma. There could be a lot of space for the likes of Coulter, hughes etc to exploit if they use the ball long and fast

are Cork gonna produce the kind of display in the final that they have been hinting at for the last few years?

My heart hopes for a Down win, but my head is taking me into Wizzy Brown's for a Cork by 5 / Benny Coulter first goal double....

Cannot wait

AZOffaly

Best of Luck to Down, I'd love to see them win another one. Nothing particularly against Cork at all, but I would prefer Down.

Cork, on paper and in terms of physicality, have the edge, but do they have it between the ears? And can they finally deliver on their promise? If they don't then Down have every chance. If they do, then Cork should, repeat should, be too much.

western exile

Quote from: Quarterback on September 17, 2010, 12:27:22 PM
  I think Paddy Tally has to take alot of credit for where this down team has come from and where that are now.  His team setup, conditioning etc has been invaluable to the down setup.  The team sets up very much like the Tyrone team of old....Clarke in the Mc Guigan role, Hughes in the Dooher role, Coulter as the O'Neill role etc....Lets hope the lads can bring Sam north again....
Quote from: rrhf on September 17, 2010, 01:43:48 PM
Agree quarterback - A Tally and Mc Ivor (Down) win would leave debate on the Tyrone management in years to come very interesting. 
Calm down there lads!  ;)
Everyone in Down knows exactly the contribution that Tally has made to the county team over the last 4 years.  And we understand that Tyrone people are proud of one of their own.  But you are overstating him a tad with your credits.  Don't forget his is not a new appointment as he was part of the previous management right up to, and including, that Saturday evening in Aughrim last summer!  The real credit is more deserving on the newcomers to the whole set-up.