AI Football Final 2010: An Corcaigh vs An Dún

Started by under the bar, August 23, 2010, 02:25:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

naka

great to see newry all decked out in red and black but pity that come monday it will be back to being a soccer town.

5 Sams

Quote from: naka on September 15, 2010, 03:25:16 PM
great to see newry all decked out in red and black but pity that come monday it will be back to being a soccer town.

Just a matter of interest Naka....is your handle in honour of a certain Japanese hoop wearing SOCCER player??
The Aristocrat Years

Leo

Quote from: naka on September 15, 2010, 03:25:16 PM

Good luck message in Newry Democrat from Newry City FC - fair play to them.
Fierce tame altogether

MCMLX

western exile

Quote from: jas376
            Also, to all those people who have been critical of Cork football here and elsewhere, let me just cite one statistic that is sustaining us all in hope down here in Cork  i.e. only one county has defeated Cork in championship football since 2004.

Now, if only we could maintain that record for just one more game then our mission would be accomplished and everything else would be irrelevant.
valid stat okay. Nor, in same years,  have Cork played a team good enough to have beaten Kerry   8) until next Sunday

jas376

Quote from: western exile on September 15, 2010, 08:00:40 PM
Quote from: jas376
            Also, to all those people who have been critical of Cork football here and elsewhere, let me just cite one statistic that is sustaining us all in hope down here in Cork  i.e. only one county has defeated Cork in championship football since 2004.

Now, if only we could maintain that record for just one more game then our mission would be accomplished and everything else would be irrelevant.
valid stat okay. Nor, in same years,  have Cork played a team good enough to have beaten Kerry   8) until next Sunday

Fair play, Good point! The answer is no, it hasn't. Sunday will be the first time,as far as I know, which makes it all the more intriguing.

In the Onion Bag

What's this crap about wee James being a Lish man, a point man or a Burren man and what does it matter esp on this thread. 

I couldn't give a fiddler's feck. I wouldn't care if he's from timbuctoo so long as he keeps on with the unbelieveable job he has done so far this year. I for one cetainly didn't think we would be where we are this Sunday when he was appointed -I was wrong big time.

CompulsoryTillager

Quote from: Mourne Rover on August 30, 2010, 11:29:20 PM
Dromara Gael is quite right about Down wearing an all black strip against Cork in the NFL but it is going back quite a while - probably around 25 years. My recollection is that the game may have been played in Castlewellan and I have a notion that the great Tommy McGovern might have got a rare score for us late on.

1982 it was, and Tommy McGovern scored 1-1, it finished Down 1-6 Cork 2-3

Pangurban

Does anyone else think it unwise for the Down players to be attending so many functions in the week before a final. Between fund raising functions, School visits and media gatherings, they must be sapping up their mental and physical energy.  The increased sense of expectation which they are being exposed too throughout the County, must also be increasing the pressure on them, and diverting their focus.

stephenite

I fancy Cork for this match - just have a feeling that all this talk about 100% records might have an impact on the Down players, if only subconsciously.

whiskeysteve

Quote from: Pangurban on September 16, 2010, 02:14:06 AM
Does anyone else think it unwise for the Down players to be attending so many functions in the week before a final. Between fund raising functions, School visits and media gatherings, they must be sapping up their mental and physical energy.  The increased sense of expectation which they are being exposed too throughout the County, must also be increasing the pressure on them, and diverting their focus.

I totally agree with this comment and was considering making the point myself. I've been struck by the amount of press the playes have been involved in, even for the run up to an all ireland final, their seems to be a 2/3 functions attended every issue of the Irish News ive glanced through!!

The media really are getting great mileage out of them, if I were a Down man I wouldnt mind them being at a few functions as they should be relaxed in the run up, but this carte blanche approach to everything going media wise would worry me!

Really hope Down do it by the way, big admirer of the way they play when they get the swagger back
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

passedit

Quote from: CompulsoryTillager on September 16, 2010, 02:11:47 AM
Quote from: Mourne Rover on August 30, 2010, 11:29:20 PM
Dromara Gael is quite right about Down wearing an all black strip against Cork in the NFL but it is going back quite a while - probably around 25 years. My recollection is that the game may have been played in Castlewellan and I have a notion that the great Tommy McGovern might have got a rare score for us late on.

1982 it was, and Tommy McGovern scored 1-1, it finished Down 1-6 Cork 2-3

Think I was at that game, do you have the full teams Tillager? I have a vague recollection of a less than svelte Christy Ryan playing full forward for Cork.
Don't Panic

angermanagement

Quote from: whiskeysteve on September 16, 2010, 09:22:55 AM
Quote from: Pangurban on September 16, 2010, 02:14:06 AM

I totally agree with this comment and was considering making the point myself. I've been struck by the amount of press the players have been involved in, even for the run up to an all ireland final, their seems to be a 2/3 functions attended every issue of the Irish News ive glanced through!!

The media really are getting great mileage out of them, if I were a Down man I wouldnt mind them being at a few functions as they should be relaxed in the run up, but this carte blanche approach to everything going media wise would worry me!

Really hope Down do it by the way, big admirer of the way they play when they get the swagger back

Have to agree with all of that it looks like there doing the functions most teams do after winning the All Ireland rather than before it. You can agree with the breakfast/golf function in order to raise funds but to be going back to there old schools, promoting new businesses its ridiculous. Hopefully it doesn't come back to bite them.

mountainboii

Are the same players going round all the functions though? If they're spreading the load around a bit then it shouldn't bother them too much.

maldini

wat happened to the media ban wee James imposed before the semi final on the players?