AI Football Final 2010: An Corcaigh vs An Dún

Started by under the bar, August 23, 2010, 02:25:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StGallsGAA

QuoteDown don't lose finals. I expect the pressure to get to Cork and Down to win.

Yes the Down teams of the 60's & 80's didn't lose finals but the same can't be saied of the current team, in fact other than the McKenna Cup in 1998 they've lost every senior final they have played in!

PatDaly

I'll put my house on it that Down will win Sam in 3 weeks time. Its a guaranteed fact, stonewall certainty.

- Its exactly 50 years since they first brought Sam across the border in 1960, they'll win it again in 2010
- They've never lost an All-Ireland final (5 out of 5 record), they'll make it 6 out of 6 on Sept 19th
- In 1991 Down used a league final defeat in Croke Park to their advantage by turning around a year later and winning Sam
- In 2010 they lost a league final in Croke Park and will again use this to their advantage by turning around and winning Sam 5 months later
- With the exception of 1994 (when they beat Cork) they've always beaten Kerry on route to winning Sam. Again Kerry were slayed on route to the 2010 final

Strangely enough history plays a massive part in determining the eventual outcome in sport. Down have always scored goals in their previous all-Ireland semi final and final appearances in 1960, 1961, 1968, 1991, 1994. Down to score a goal in the All-Ireland final in 3 weeks time is another certain guaranteed bet.

I predict Down to win by 4 or 5 points and score at least 1 goal but most likely 2 goals. Cork don't have a prayer, they're up against a team who have destiny on their shoulders.

thejuice

Quote from: jas376 on August 29, 2010, 10:14:58 PM
Quote from: omagh_gael on August 29, 2010, 10:04:53 PM
According to Benny Coulters interview after the game (on RTE website) down will be playing in their away kit. How is this decided so early?

I think that the last time these sides met (1994) both sides played in their 'away' colours. It might be the same this time.Maybe!

If I heard correctly Cork will be wearing white and Down will be wearing yellow!!!  :P Yellow just doesn't seem right at all.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Billys Boots

Will Cork not be wearing the Blue of Munster?
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

snoopdog

Quote from: thejuice on August 30, 2010, 04:00:17 PM
Quote from: jas376 on August 29, 2010, 10:14:58 PM
Quote from: omagh_gael on August 29, 2010, 10:04:53 PM
According to Benny Coulters interview after the game (on RTE website) down will be playing in their away kit. How is this decided so early?

I think that the last time these sides met (1994) both sides played in their 'away' colours. It might be the same this time.Maybe!

If I heard correctly Cork will be wearing white and Down will be wearing yellow!!!  :P Yellow just doesn't seem right at all.
the sunday game said last night the cccc would decide this today when they meet the 2 counties.
Down will more than likely have to wear that horrible yellow thing. How can o'neills not see the profitability in bringing out an all black jersey for Down away.Are we the only county left that still uses the provincial colours as an away kit.

Dromara Gael

Played Cork years ago in NFL in all black jerseys, looked well. I think the game was a draw

TacadoirArdMhacha

From www.bbc.co.uk/ni

Down and Cork must change colours for All-Ireland final

Down's players will not wear their traditional red and black jerseys in the All-Ireland Football final because of a clash of colours with Cork.

The GAA's Central Competitions Control Committee ruled on Monday that both teams would wear alternate colours.

Cork will wear white jerseys with a red trim while Down will don mainly yellow shirts with a red and black trim.

Down wore the same strip in last year's All-Ireland under 21 final when Cork triumphed after a last-gasp goal.

Cork wore their traditional red shirts in that game.

The 19 September decider will be the first time since the 1982 final between Offaly and Kerry that both the finalists will be forced to wear alternative strips.

When Down and Cork met in the 1994 All-Ireland SFC semi-final, Down wore a gold and black strip, while Cork played in white jerseys.

The last occasion a team in the final wore a change of strip was in the replayed 1996 decider, when Meath wore a gold jersey against Mayo.

On three occasions when Kerry and Mayo met in finals recently - 1997, 2004, '06 - Croke Park were happy to let both counties wear their traditional green strip despite the clash of colours.

For some reason I've a feeling that this isn't the first time since 1982 that changed strips have been worn. I have a vague recollection that Mayo and Meath wore their alternative colours for the 1996 AI final replay though no doubt more eminent posters can give an authoritive answer to that one.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

ross4life

Kerry/Mayo didn't change in 1997

With the barriers in place i wonder will it keep the Cork/Down fans off the field? i guess we'll see next Sunday with the Hurling
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

seafoid

Why do they have to change jerseys anayway? Is there anyone left in the country with a black and white television?

The Worker

down have a good record in the yellow jerseys as far as i believe

ross4life

Quote from: seafoid on August 30, 2010, 04:52:53 PM
Why do they have to change jerseys anayway? Is there anyone left in the country with a black and white television?

Cork/Galway minors didn't change yesterday i wonder how that would have looked on black and white television?
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Midlands Man

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: ross4life on August 30, 2010, 04:50:01 PM
Kerry/Mayo didn't change in 1997

Kerry did actually, but only slightly. The gold hoop on their jersey was considerably bigger than it had been previously: http://www.inpho.ie/cgi-bin/WebObjects/INPHO-Shop.woa/wa/p?p=EhDBP1L6lUsrx76m4KTOQ8lBi1BPdLr8nA9kgEW9fK0.a

Very hard to call this final. I think Down would be wise not to read too much into yesterday. Kildare were without both their first choice midfielders for the majority of the match and this allowed Down to boss proceedings around the middle. I think they'll find it much tougher against whatever combination of O'Connor/O'Neill/Murphy/Kavanagh/Goold that Counihan selects. Any combination from that five would be far superior to Hughie Lynch and Roli Sweeney.

Cork have hardly been setting the world alight either and I thought their semi-final was more a case of Dublin handing it to them then Cork quarrying out a win themselves. If they finally click, I'd give a hesitant vote to Cork but I wouldn't be surprised if Down won it. Cork's experience in finals in recent years should stand to them but it could also be a double edged sword. Will some of their key men freeze again on the big day in September?
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

5 Sams

Quote from: The Worker on August 30, 2010, 04:55:37 PM
down have a good record in the yellow jerseys as far as i believe

We beat Cork in the All Ireland semi final in 1994 wearing Yella and Cork were wearing white. Check out Aidan Mallon's videos on youtube to see Niall Cahalane trying to catch Mickey Linden :D :D
The Aristocrat Years

Canalman

Hope as a neutral that Cork win it as I genuinely think that they deserve it more than Down. Not that I would be too bothered either way.
Always love seeing teams getting up off the ropes after heavy/ sickening beatings and going on to win Sam.

Personally think Down will win it though if they get an early lead.