Masters Competition Cancelled

Started by Keyser soze, August 22, 2010, 11:02:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Would it have anything to do with insurance?

Next thing they'll be banning  GAA golf tournaments.

Keyser soze

Quote from: haranguerer on August 24, 2010, 09:11:49 AM
Quote from: Keyser soze on August 22, 2010, 11:02:15 AM
This year we had been training since start of June only to be informed last week, after a protracted series of meetings which went on for 3 months, that the competition would definitely not take place. I'm sure there were many other teams in a similar position.

I certainly think Croke Park should back it, but its hard to argue with their point about it being taken too seriously...

Think we met up 2 weeks before our first game was due to be played but it was cancelled. We were on the long finger after that thinking that the first game was due to be scheduled in the very near futures so we kept meeting up once a week for an hour. It wouldn't be difficult for me to argue with CP the point that it's taken too seriously.

Quite frankly i find it extremely patronising of some besuitted [sic] twat in CP telling me how seriously I can play sport at a certain age. Surely there are more important issues than finding frivolous reasons to stop committed gaels playing their sport.

magpie seanie

They won't sanction this but they'll sanction a TV competition with "celebrity" managers like failed Apprentice candidates who probably couldn't spell GAA.

ross matt

From my own personal experience there are major problems with this competition. Mainly the differences in quality of players each county selects and how serious each of them take it. Some sides play formers greats and current senior players. They might be old but they've still a very competitive streak in them. Other counties have lads who havent even played senior club. Some counties train twice weekly in the months leading up to commencement of the championship and some just get together a few hours before the game.

This results in a dangerous mix with a wide ranging desparity of ambition, preparation, skills and fitness. Serious injury has occured. Tempers flair and refs dont apply the rules as stricly as they do a club championship match. Therefore insurance is a big issue.

As is regulation/administration.... pitch availability.... fixture slotting plus difficulty of players missing junior matches with theor club to play masters etc.

It's a bone of contention surely but there are bigger issues the GAA need to concern themselves with such as the drop off in player participation from minor to senior in urban areas.... the appalling fixture management for senior club players in many counties..... the decline in many small rural clubs etc.

In other words the organisation would need to prioritise facilitating the young, present and future players over pandering to the dreams of past it guys to still wear a county jersey as they head in to middle age. Many of them have outlets with 2nd and 3rd tier squads in their clubs to pursue this and if they are up to that standard they are entitled to be icked and participate regardless of their age. But if not they should get off the stage and contribute in other ways like coaching or admin. think ssome of ye are looking at this competition with rose tinted glasses. just my opinion but its one with personal experience like I said at the outset of this post.

haranguerer

Quote from: Keyser soze on August 24, 2010, 10:49:02 AM
Quote from: haranguerer on August 24, 2010, 09:11:49 AM
Quote from: Keyser soze on August 22, 2010, 11:02:15 AM
This year we had been training since start of June only to be informed last week, after a protracted series of meetings which went on for 3 months, that the competition would definitely not take place. I'm sure there were many other teams in a similar position.

I certainly think Croke Park should back it, but its hard to argue with their point about it being taken too seriously...

Think we met up 2 weeks before our first game was due to be played but it was cancelled. We were on the long finger after that thinking that the first game was due to be scheduled in the very near futures so we kept meeting up once a week for an hour. It wouldn't be difficult for me to argue with CP the point that it's taken too seriously.

Quite frankly i find it extremely patronising of some besuitted [sic] t**t in CP telling me how seriously I can play sport at a certain age. Surely there are more important issues than finding frivolous reasons to stop committed gaels playing their sport.

I'd whole-heartedly agree with that, was just pointing it out!

mrgaa1

what were the 15 counties that played?  I agree its ridiculous to cancel it - better promotion of it is needed. Why is there a junior all-ireland title? 
Its just like the Railway Cup - it appears if there aren't enough people supporting it - scrap it.

But don't some counties have A,B,C grades - A would be seniors, B would those out of minor learning the trade - C would be those who are late 30's, early 40's who want to play without all the heavy training. 
Up in Ulster there is recreational football - again not recognised by CP (yet), where those who have quit playing and have never played take part - 2 touch football, no contact, no limit on subs etc... its great fun and clubs that are playing are finding past players and parents of current under-age members getting involved in the club which is a complete win-win.  All players are advised to take out their own personal insurance to cover themselves.

DoireGael

Quote from: mrgaa1 on August 24, 2010, 02:28:15 PM
what were the 15 counties that played?  I agree its ridiculous to cancel it - better promotion of it is needed. Why is there a junior all-ireland title? 
Its just like the Railway Cup - it appears if there aren't enough people supporting it - scrap it.

But don't some counties have A,B,C grades - A would be seniors, B would those out of minor learning the trade - C would be those who are late 30's, early 40's who want to play without all the heavy training. 
Up in Ulster there is recreational football - again not recognised by CP (yet), where those who have quit playing and have never played take part - 2 touch football, no contact, no limit on subs etc... its great fun and clubs that are playing are finding past players and parents of current under-age members getting involved in the club which is a complete win-win.  All players are advised to take out their own personal insurance to cover themselves.

Defo been very successfull. I know a few of the guys who played on the Derry masters and I cant understand why CP would stand in the way of these fella playing, strange an i feel yet again its prevention is financially motivated.

rosnarun

Does the 'not just a small elite' mean that  because there are not club teams at that age level that they  have a problem with it ?
As for mayo meath 96 relay bring it on.
there is a boil there that needs to be lanced on both side . its on victory meath never seem to have got over
see you in 2020 for Meath V louth Mark 2
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Hardy

player/coach

I am a current Masters player and obviously you dont know much about the players who play masters football.
For your info and everyone else reading this, over 95% of Masters players  are actual GAA Coaches, coaching kids from aged 6 to senior level, and masters games never interfere or collide with coaching those kids. And by keeping playing it keeps us more in touch with the current game and new rules as the change which in turn helps us in the coaching  of the future footballers, aswell as keeping us fit and healthy.
So CAN ANYONE explain to me what is wrong with us  Masters wanting to play the game we grew up with and love, in a competive competion which costs the GAA little or nothing. I am a mayo player and we like our other county colleagues PAY TO PLAY THE GAME i.e pay for phisio
food after games etc. And does not interfere with the coaching of our kids.
P.S. There is Masters Rugby, Soccer, Athletics, Golf, Tennis and more. WHY NOT FOOTBALL