Referee's jaw broken at underage game

Started by tyroneman, August 15, 2010, 10:57:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

Problem is, just as freedom of speech means nothing unless extended to those with whom we most disagree, respect for referees has to apply particularly to the bad ones. There's usually no problem with the good ones. 

Billys Boots

My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

ONeill

Quote. Refs need to lead by example or else they'll garner no respect. Most refs are egotistical, and arent doing it for the love of the game. They were the lads who never got a game when they played, and they see this as a way to be involved and be centre of attention.

That's some generalisation.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Celt_Man

Quote from: ONeill on August 16, 2010, 01:43:21 PM
Quote. Refs need to lead by example or else they'll garner no respect. Most refs are egotistical, and arent doing it for the love of the game. They were the lads who never got a game when they played, and they see this as a way to be involved and be centre of attention.

but true enough at the same time
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

lynchbhoy

while some refs are just rubbish (esp when you go down the levels and leagues), this doesnt matter though as the lack of respect is shocking.
There should be a complaints section and procedure in each co board for such bad refs, but as Refs are in short supply, co boards dont really want to upset them.
Not right but unless we have more refs and the standards rise, theres not much will happen on this front.

However, custodial sentences and large fines should be the outcome of anyone that hits a ref or player.(massive bans for players that assault a player during a game or after it while still on the field of play).
The problem is we dont have the procedure of reporting thugs to the cops and the courts and judges are way too lenient on these thugs.
All the GAA can do is create/enfrce the procedure for reporting such thugs and handing them over to justice and let the law deal with them thereafter.
I would expect if we did this there would be less problems afterwards.
Clubs that didnt comply with identifying culprits would be banned and fined. If not banned, they would be demoted to lowest levels of competition in their counties for a period of say 3-5 years.
As well as being ht with massive fine - given to victim as compensation.

I still think we need some kind of retractable fencing for the likes of Croke park.
Fences obscure the views of paying spectators. Retractable fences would secure the pitch at end of game and snyone caught on the pitch inside this would be given over to the law and done for trespassing etc - fine and bann. Club also getting fine and ban out of it.

Tough measures required to knock some common courtesy and manners back into the 'me' generation !

Applesisapples

Quote from: Hardy on August 15, 2010, 04:16:05 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on August 15, 2010, 03:35:35 PM
What do you suggest hardy?

For a start we could stop the hypocrisy of pretending to be concerned about assaults on referees while at the same time demanding that spectators be allowed to go where they like. I appreciate the difficulty of preventing incursions if people are determined, but at least we could make it an offence. We want to protect officials or we don't.

Of course it should also be a rule that any assault in an official MUST be reported to the gardai/police, an official complaint MUST be made and every case MUST be pursued to prosecution.
There is a big difference between celebrating on the pitch and hitting a referee. One doesn't lead to the other. If memory serves me right a ref down the country was bundled into the boot of his car after he left the ground.

cadhlancian

Quote from: Celt_Man on August 16, 2010, 01:51:41 PM

Shane is correct, my father has refereed from 1985 and is still at it, and hes in his 60's! And NO he is not egotistical, and YES he does do it for the LOVE of the game and more importantly , he got plenty of games growing up, and represented Tyrone at EVERY level.!!!
So YES, you are generalising

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: cadhlancian on August 16, 2010, 04:17:19 PM

Shane is correct, my father has refereed from 1985 and is still at it, and hes in his 60's! And NO he is not egotistical, and YES he does do it for the LOVE of the game and more importantly , he got plenty of games growing up, and represented Tyrone at EVERY level.!!!
Ya maybe i should of said, but that is my generalisations of the bad refs only, there is probably 50/50 split on the games i go to on the ref being good or bad. Your father is more than likely a good ref.

This yr in senior level, maurice deegan, david coldrick were outstanding imo. I rate marty duffy, mcenamey highly aswell, condon from waterford another good one. I think at intercounty level were in not in bad shape bar changing the rules.

But its not the problem really, the problem is the supporters and we have to look at ourselves. As lads said there should be procedures in place to deal with a ref assault to ensure its dealt with properly and not pushed under the carpet like it always is.

"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Celt_Man

Well in my experience - such as it is - more than most enjoy being the centre of attention whether or not they played ball before some did and others didn't, it doesn't seem to matter.

One thing I can't stand about referees is the good ones who are well capable of referring in a fair and proper manner, set that aside and go out with an agenda about a certain club or team and ref that game according to that agenda not exactly what happens in front of them!!

Main Street

Quote from: Celt_Man on August 16, 2010, 04:37:49 PM

Well in my experience - such as it is - more than most enjoy being the centre of attention whether or not they played ball before some did and others didn't, it doesn't seem to matter.

One thing I can't stand about referees is the good ones who are well capable of referring in a fair and proper manner, set that aside and go out with an agenda about a certain club or team and ref that game according to that agenda not exactly what happens in front of them!!

Doesn't matter what the character of the ref is or how he is perceived by players or supporters. He is the appointed ref and that should, by definition, automatically garner respect for as long he is the appointed referee.
Subjective opinions about  - does he deserve respect -  he is a crap ref - he is totally one sided - two sided,  do not come into it. The charter of 'respect for the ref' should be beyond all that. 

snoopdog

Quote from: Hardy on August 15, 2010, 02:00:18 PM
Can some one explain what I'm missing here? Isn't there near unanimity in GAAdom and certainly on this board that the perceived right of spectators to invade the playing area at will is sacrosanct. I can never manage to get my head around the mentality that insists that this is a core value and fundamental to the enjoyment of games while at the same time bemoaning the continuing litany of vicious assaults on referees by spectators.

If we could rely on 100% of citizens to behave peacably, lawfully and sensibly we would have no need for police, courts and laws or for locks, security cameras and defensive weapons. Unfortunately, history and a basic understanding of humanity teaches us that we can't depend on that. A certain percentage of people will abuse any freedom they are afforded. A percentage of these, in turn, will have violent intent. If we refuse to recognise this and continue to insist that no curbs can be placed on the freedom of spectators to go where they please, we are effectively saying to referees (and players) "take your chances". I wish at least we'd be honest enough as an association to admit that, instead of trotting out a parade of hand-wringing officials to condemn the latest atrocity. We know it's bullshit. We know they don't care. They don't even care enough to co-operate with the gardai to ensure criminals who assault our referees are prosecuted.

I'm just sick of it.

An absolute disgrace. Pitch invasions should not be allowed at any level of games. All this bulls.hit about its tradition and its part of the day for an All Ireland final. I wonder when someone is killed will it still be a tradition. Present the cup and do a bloody lap of honour. Pitch invasions at All Ireland finals will end up killing some kid and then Croker will be closed.
This animal should have criminal charges brought on him.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Main Street on August 16, 2010, 04:45:28 PM

Doesn't matter what the character of the ref is or how he is perceived by players or supporters. He is the appointed ref and that should, by definition, automatically garner respect for as long he is the appointed referee.
Subjective opinions about  - does he deserve respect -  he is a crap ref - he is totally one sided - two sided,  do not come into it. The charter of 'respect for the ref' should be beyond all that.
You have to earn respect aswell, do you expect players and fans to respect a ref that is cheating out on the field? Your riding us but we still have to respect ya, excuse the pun. I expect fair play and once i get that no matter if we win/lose then a i respect that ref, once i get an inkling that hes bias for whatever reason then he loses all my respect.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Celt_Man

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on August 16, 2010, 05:25:53 PM

You have to earn respect aswell, do you expect players and fans to respect a ref that is cheating out on the field? Your riding us but we still have to respect ya, excuse the pun. I expect fair play and once i get that no matter if we win/lose then a i respect that ref, once i get an inkling that hes bias for whatever reason then he loses all my respect.

Same as

pintsofguinness

Quote from: snoopdog on August 16, 2010, 04:57:18 PM
Quote from: Hardy on August 15, 2010, 02:00:18 PM
Can some one explain what I'm missing here? Isn't there near unanimity in GAAdom and certainly on this board that the perceived right of spectators to invade the playing area at will is sacrosanct. I can never manage to get my head around the mentality that insists that this is a core value and fundamental to the enjoyment of games while at the same time bemoaning the continuing litany of vicious assaults on referees by spectators.

If we could rely on 100% of citizens to behave peacably, lawfully and sensibly we would have no need for police, courts and laws or for locks, security cameras and defensive weapons. Unfortunately, history and a basic understanding of humanity teaches us that we can't depend on that. A certain percentage of people will abuse any freedom they are afforded. A percentage of these, in turn, will have violent intent. If we refuse to recognise this and continue to insist that no curbs can be placed on the freedom of spectators to go where they please, we are effectively saying to referees (and players) "take your chances". I wish at least we'd be honest enough as an association to admit that, instead of trotting out a parade of hand-wringing officials to condemn the latest atrocity. We know it's bullshit. We know they don't care. They don't even care enough to co-operate with the gardai to ensure criminals who assault our referees are prosecuted.

I'm just sick of it.

An absolute disgrace. Pitch invasions should not be allowed at any level of games. All this bulls.hit about its tradition and its part of the day for an All Ireland final. I wonder when someone is killed will it still be a tradition. Present the cup and do a bloody lap of honour. Pitch invasions at All Ireland finals will end up killing some kid and then Croker will be closed.
This animal should have criminal charges brought on him.
No one has been killed in 125 years, what makes you think it's imminent?
Because some suit in Croke Park says it is?
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

tyssam5

Quote from: Celt_Man on August 16, 2010, 05:28:20 PM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on August 16, 2010, 05:25:53 PM

Same as

Some people see bias in a referee at every opportunity based on tenuous thing his brother or cousin might have done in 1974, my dad is one of these. 90% of the time there is no bias in a ref they are just a bit rubbish sometimes. Tough game to referee too, given the ambiguities in the rules.