Referee's jaw broken at underage game

Started by tyroneman, August 15, 2010, 10:57:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

Closed doors and burglar alarms and CCTVs won't deter the most determined of burglars, but does anyone seriously think the incidence of burglary wouldn't soar if we abandoned all these measures? Likewise, fenced fields and regulations preventing spectators from entering the playing area during the game and for some minutes afterwards and a serious intent to enforce those regulations would deter some percentage of potential criminal assailants. If a crazy father is hell bent of getting at the referee, a fence and a steward on every gate preventing access to the pitch will at least give him an opportunity to cool down and think a few seconds about whether he really wants a criminal record.

Do you think we should do nothing, apart from introduce severe penalties? I believe we should do both. Or else stop pretending we're outraged when a referee gets attacked.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Hardy on August 15, 2010, 06:53:39 PM
Closed doors and burglar alarms and CCTVs won't deter the most determined of burglars, but does anyone seriously think the incidence of burglary wouldn't soar if we abandoned all these measures? Likewise, fenced fields and regulations preventing spectators from entering the playing area during the game and for some minutes afterwards and a serious intent to enforce those regulations would deter some percentage of potential criminal assailants. If a crazy father is hell bent of getting at the referee, a fence and a steward on every gate preventing access to the pitch will at least give him an opportunity to cool down and think a few seconds about whether he really wants a criminal record.

Do you think we should do nothing, apart from introduce severe penalties? I believe we should do both. Or else stop pretending we're outraged when a referee gets attacked.
That isn't even realistic for senior club games never mind underage club games. 
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

andoireabu

At an average club game in the back end of nowhere would it really be likely that a steward could be put on each gate to patrol a crowd of maybe 100 people?  Most fields have fences around them.  our club has one about 5 foot high but it would be easy enough to hop if the notion took you that way. 

Private Cowboy: Don't shit me, man!
Private Joker: I wouldn't shit you. You're my favorite turd!

orangeman

Quote from: andoireabu on August 15, 2010, 07:05:57 PM
At an average club game in the back end of nowhere would it really be likely that a steward could be put on each gate to patrol a crowd of maybe 100 people? Most fields have fences around them.  our club has one about 5 foot high but it would be easy enough to hop if the notion took you that way.

Time for Cooney and co to raise them to at least 14ft high.

I expect a ruling this week. Sure it'll provide a bit of work for lads !

pintsofguinness

Quote from: orangeman on August 15, 2010, 07:09:38 PM
At an average club game in the back end of nowhere would it really be likely that a steward could be put on each gate to patrol a crowd of maybe 100 people? Most fields have fences around them.  our club has one about 5 foot high but it would be easy enough to hop if the notion took you that way.

With barb wire on the top.

andoireabu

Quote from: orangeman on August 15, 2010, 07:09:38 PM

Think that might be the problem.  Just because croke park men are doing it then the whole country should as well.  Kepping up with the Jones' (road). 
Private Cowboy: Don't shit me, man!
Private Joker: I wouldn't shit you. You're my favorite turd!

Hardy

Fine. Don't do anything. But continue to expect referees to be attacked. Simple really.

Funny how nobody thinks it's a ludicrous imposition that a flag has to be flown at every game or that names have to be in Irish but many can scoff at the idea that referees should be protected form hooligans. If clubs were made responsible for attacks on referees they'd soon find ways to keep the criminals away from them.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Hardy on August 15, 2010, 07:57:51 PM
Fine. Don't do anything. But continue to expect referees to be attacked. Simple really.

Funny how nobody thinks it's a ludicrous imposition that a flag has to be flown at every game or that names have to be in Irish but many can scoff at the idea that referees should be protected form hooligans. If clubs were made responsible for attacks on referees they'd soon find ways to keep the criminals away from them.
Now you're sounding like my housemate!

You've suggested something that's completely unrealistic and unworkable.

Hardy

At least I suggested something. If we don't change something, how will it be different? What do you suggest? That we can't do anything? Referees must accept being attacked and shouldn't expect the GAA to try to protect them?

midLouth

Has there ever been a successful prosecution for attacking a ref? If there hasn't I know we are going to see if happen shortly.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Hardy on August 15, 2010, 09:00:22 PM
At least I suggested something. If we don't change something, how will it be different? What do you suggest? That we can't do anything? Referees must accept being attacked and shouldn't expect the GAA to try to protect them?
You may as well suggest nothing as you know what you've suggested is unworkable. I suggest strong and swift punishment for any offender and support for the victim if want to go to the police/guards - the same for anyone who breaks a player's jaw with a thump.

Hardy

Why is it unworkable to make a rule that forbids entry onto the field of play? Do you think it's reasonable to wring our hands about attacks on referees when we won't even do that much about it? Do you think it's right to allow spectators unhindered access to the pitch when we know from experience that some (even infinitesimal) percentage of them are going to cause trouble? Why is it unworkable to fence every pitch? I'd say 90% of them are fenced already. To fence the remainder would cost probably 5% of the cost of one of the white-elephant 50,000-plus capacity stadiums we're building for the seagulls.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Hardy on August 15, 2010, 09:17:00 PM
Why is it unworkable to make a rule that forbids entry onto the field of play? Do you think it's reasonable to wring our hands about attacks on referees when we won't even do that much about it? Do you think it's right to allow spectators unhindered access to the pitch when we know from experience that some (even infinitesimal) percentage of them are going to cause trouble? Why is it unworkable to fence every pitch? I'd say 90% of them are fenced already. To fence the remainder would cost probably 5% of the cost of one of the white-elephant 50,000-plus capacity stadiums we're building for the seagulls.
Pointless having a rule about entry onto the field as it will be ignored and even if it wasn't it would not stop some idiot intent on having a go at the referee. So you want all fields fenced, there's a field fenced at my own club and a child would have no trouble getting on to the field never mind a adult intent on hitting someone, so what requirements would these fences have to meet?

As for stopping all people entering the field - some people can't drink in moderation, should we ban alcohol?
Some people can't drive within the speed limits, should be ban all vehicles?

AZOffaly

Hardy I see where you are coming from but to be honest that's a bit of a tenuous link, that the attitude to pitch invasions after an All Ireland final is tacit acceptance of incidents like this.

I believe that this would have happened in the car park afterwards if the lad couldn't get into the pitch. You're solving the wrong problem in this instance. I think the only sauce for referee assauly is criminal prosecution.

You know my stance on the Croke Park issue, but I truly believe these are, at best, extremely distant relations.

Jinxy

Sorry Hardy I think you've a bit of a straw man argument there.
It's entirely possible to abhor all assaults on referees without being particularly exorcised by people encroaching on the pitch.
I know I do.
One is an inherently aggressive action.
The other is not, despite what the Croke Park suits would like us to think.
If you were any use you'd be playing.