15 County Team

Started by Dinny Breen, August 13, 2010, 07:00:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinny Breen

If you have to pick a team of the year but only 1 player per county allowed who would you pick...

Stuck in work so passing the time in case the thread police are wondering....

1. Brendan McVeigh (Down)
2. Philip McMahon (Dublin)
3. Justin McMahon (Tyrone)
4. Peter Kelly (Kildare)
5. Damien Freeman (Monaghan)
6. Graham Canty (Cork)
7. Aidan Flynn (Wexford)
8. Paddy Keenan (Louth)
9. John Galvin (Limerick)
10. Graham Reilly (Meath)
11. PJ (Galway)
12. Conor Lynam (Westmeath)
13. David Kelly (Sligo)
14. Donal Shine (Roscommon)
15. Colm Cooper (Kerry)
#newbridgeornowhere

lynchbhoy

jeez Dinny you are obsessed with Peter kelly. He's decent but thats all I have seen so far !
Kelly is lucky hes unknown and young as he fouls his man most of the time but thus far has not been penalised !
if you are picking a star man from each county then Smith has to be included from Cil Dara.

your HB line are not even imo the best in their own county lines
swap freeman for hughes, Canty for Miskella for a start (and switch from wing to centre)
neither canty or freeman played well this season - old age?

muppet

Quote from: lynchbhoy on August 13, 2010, 07:14:01 PM
jeez Dinny you are obsessed with Peter kelly. He's decent but thats all I have seen so far !
Kelly is lucky hes unknown and young as he fouls his man most of the time but thus far has not been penalised !
if you are picking a star man from each county then Smith has to be included from Cil Dara.

Kavanagh?

I'd have the full-back from Meath and Alan Costello in at 10.

Trying desperately to find an argument for a Mayo-man but only Freeman deserves a mention and he's only played twice at this level.
MWWSI 2017

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: lynchbhoy on August 13, 2010, 07:14:01 PM

your HB line are not even imo the best in their own county lines
swap freeman for hughes, Canty for Miskella for a start (and switch from wing to centre)
neither canty or freeman played well this season - old age?

??

Don't think there's a lot wrong with his tackling. Goes in hard but fair. Too many backs tackle when they've no chance of getting the ball and invariably give away frees. From what I've seen of Kelly, he waits until the forward goes to play the ball before getting the hand in.

If I was putting one Kildare man in on this year's form it would be Morgan O'Flaherty.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Dinny Breen

Quotejeez Dinny you are obsessed with Peter kelly. He's decent but thats all I have seen so far !

Would you go away, Smith has missed most of the championship and has been pretty average by his standards, I've seen a lot more of Kelly than you ever have or will and have yet to see a better corner-back this year, so the ref lets him away with fouling because he's young  ???

And as the boards resident Pat Spillane, lets have your team, you're only allowed one Derry player now, not 15  ;D
#newbridgeornowhere

ross4life

1. Claffey (Roscommon)
2. Justin MacMahon (Tyrone)
3. C Walshe (Monaghan)
4. R Donavan (Sligo)
5. D Murphy (Wexford)
6. Graham Canty (Cork)
7. Ray Finnegan (Louth)
8. John Galvin (Limerick)
9. B McElvaney (longford)
10 Pádraic Joyce (Galway)
11.Martin Clarke(Down)
12. Graham Reily (Meath)
13. Johnny Doyle (Kildare)
14. Bernard Brogan (Dublin)
15. Colin Cooper (Kerry)
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

upmonaghansayswe

Quote from: ross4life on August 13, 2010, 08:45:47 PM
1. Claffey (Roscommon)
3. C Walshe (Monaghan)
4. R Donavan (Sligo)
5. D Murphy (Wexford)
6. Graham Canty (Cork)
7. Ray Finnegan (Louth)
11.Martin Clarke(Down)
12. Graham Reily (Meath)
15. Colin Cooper (Kerry)

Didnt think anyone outside the county would recognise his performances this year.. Only the fact that Hughes got to play two games outfield he could have pushed him for a spot.. Dont know about the other 14 counties but you have the right Monaghan man on your team.. Good work..

ross matt

1. Claffey (Roscommon)
3. C Walshe (Monaghan)
4. R Donavan (Sligo)
5. D Murphy (Wexford)
6. Graham Canty (Cork)
7. Ray Finnegan (Louth)
11.Martin Clarke(Down)
12. Graham Reily (Meath)
15. Colin Cooper (Kerry)
Good call on Claffey. Has'nt received half enough recognition for his role in Roscommon's good championship run. Excellent saves, confident claiming of high balls in to the square, intelligent passing when in possession and strong kickouts. He did it all this year fair play to him.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Dinny Breen on August 13, 2010, 08:36:18 PM
Quotejeez Dinny you are obsessed with Peter kelly. He's decent but thats all I have seen so far !

Would you go away, Smith has missed most of the championship and has been pretty average by his standards, I've seen a lot more of Kelly than you ever have or will and have yet to see a better corner-back this year, so the ref lets him away with fouling because he's young  ???

And as the boards resident Pat Spillane, lets have your team, you're only allowed one Derry player now, not 15  ;D
dont think kelly has played too many more championship games this year than Smith !
Doyle a v good player but poacher/out and out score getters  like Smith are like gold dust

DH - cant agree that kelly is a good tackler. Puts himself in and is not afraid, but thats not enough. Yes Dinny - youth and being unknown to refs enables players to get away with certain tackles. If ryan mcmenimin and others who are watched more closely by refs performed the same tackles - they would be penalised!

there could be no Derry member of such a Xv this season, the only thing consistent about them has been that they all were well below par. So undeserving of a place or nomination here.

as for better corner backs, you must not have seen too many games from Dublin, Cork, Sligo, Armagh,Meath, Down corner backs then over the season then ..!!!!

The Forfeit Point

you would think as GAA fans people here would know the first name of footballs current greatest player.

it's COLM cooper  ;D

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: lynchbhoy on August 14, 2010, 04:51:38 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on August 13, 2010, 08:36:18 PM

dont think kelly has played too many more championship games this year than Smith !
Doyle a v good player but poacher/out and out score getters  like Smith are like gold dust

DH - cant agree that kelly is a good tackler. Puts himself in and is not afraid, but thats not enough. Yes Dinny - youth and being unknown to refs enables players to get away with certain tackles. If ryan mcmenimin and others who are watched more closely by refs performed the same tackles - they would be penalised!

there could be no Derry member of such a Xv this season, the only thing consistent about them has been that they all were well below par. So undeserving of a place or nomination here.

as for better corner backs, you must not have seen too many games from Dublin, Cork, Sligo, Armagh,Meath, Down corner backs then over the season then ..!!!!

Alan Smith has missed 3 championship games this year due to an ankle injury (Antrim in Newbridge & Belfast and the Leitrim match). He didn't start up in Derry but came on after a few minutes when Tomás Connor got injured.

Peter Kelly wasn't even on the panel for the Louth defeat but has started all six matches since. I have seen him play a good bit for TMH and I don't agree re his tackling. We are all entitled to our opinions though.

My own stab at a team:

1 Geoffrey Claffey (Roscommon)
2 Colin Walsh (Monaghan)
3 Justin McMahon (Tyrone)
4 Johnny McCarthy (Limerick)
5 Morgan O'Flaherty (Kildare)
6 Graham Canty (Cork)
7 Ray Finnegan (Louth)
8 Ambrose Rogers (Down)
9 Brendan Murphy (Carlow)
10 Graham Reilly (Meath)
11 Kevin McGourty (Antrim)
12 Paul Galvin (Kerry)
13 David Kelly (Sligo)
14 Bernard Brogan (Dublin)
15 Niall McNamee (Offaly)

Dinny Breen

That's half your problem LB, ya don't think, Kelly has started 6 championship games, Smith has only started 3 championship games, it's comparing apples and oranges, you get an idea in your head about a player good or bad and that's it, same with McGeeney you thnk he's a poor manager yet results prove he's a damn good manager, but your not for changing. Fair enough you don't  rate Kelly but the Dublin full back-line got cleaned out by Meath, Meath by Kildare and Armagh by Monaghan yet you rate those boys higher and still play the youth card, give us a break.....

Quotethere could be no Derry member of such a Xv this season, the only thing consistent about them has been that they all were well below par

Below par, na that's their level... ;)
#newbridgeornowhere

Zulu

How is Micheal Meehan in a team of the year? And how is Bernard Brogan not in everyone's, is he not the curent front runner for POTY?

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Zulu on August 14, 2010, 06:58:38 PM
How is Micheal Meehan in a team of the year? And how is Bernard Brogan not in everyone's, is he not the curent front runner for POTY?

Not a team of the year Zulu - a pick of 15 with only one player per county allowed.

EDIT: Oops just reread Dinny's opening post. Put Brogan in for Meehan and sub Cluxton for the Rossie lad so. Wouldn't be sure about Andy Mallon or Michael Murphy in my team either then on this years form. I've brought in Colin Walshe and David Kelly.

Paul Galvin and Brendan Murphy played very little football in the Championship but were outstanding in their brief cameos. Easily could have had Gooch in ahead of Kelly with Costello instead of Galvin. McElvanney from Longford a possible alternative to Murphy at midfield.

Shrewdness

Quote from: ross matt on August 14, 2010, 11:13:06 AM
1. Claffey (Roscommon)
3. C Walshe (Monaghan)
4. R Donavan (Sligo)
5. D Murphy (Wexford)
6. Graham Canty (Cork)
7. Ray Finnegan (Louth)
11.Martin Clarke(Down)
12. Graham Reily (Meath)
15. Colin Cooper (Kerry)
Good call on Claffey. Has'nt received half enough recognition for his role in Roscommon's good championship run. Excellent saves, confident claiming of high balls in to the square, intelligent passing when in possession and strong kickouts. He did it all this year fair play to him.

Yes, Claffey did have a very good year, but for the purposes of this thread, if there is only one player per county allowed, then Donal Shine was the stand out player for Roscommon in 2010.

He scored prolifically in both the National League and Championship.