Irish on U.K. T.V.

Started by mayogodhelpus@gmail.com, August 12, 2010, 01:14:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deiseach

Quote from: muppet on August 13, 2010, 07:14:42 PM
What exactly does great country mean?

Naff all. Ireland is one of the better places in the world, but this incessant desire for validation of either the positive (Ireland sure is bootiful) or negative (now that we have divorce we have finally matured as a nation) variety gets tiresome

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: deiseach on August 12, 2010, 09:28:21 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on August 12, 2010, 01:14:01 AM
I see Irish bird on Country Tracks on BBC she talking "we" this "we" that and "us" "Royal Navy" defending "us" against the French, the girl is Irish and one of her parents is French FFS. Talk about sucking up for the Reddies.

Meh. Davy Fitz probably refers to Waterford as 'us' in interviews, does that bother you?

He is talking about a team, he is part of that team setup.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

mountainboii

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on August 13, 2010, 08:56:46 PM
Quote from: deiseach on August 12, 2010, 09:28:21 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on August 12, 2010, 01:14:01 AM
I see Irish bird on Country Tracks on BBC she talking "we" this "we" that and "us" "Royal Navy" defending "us" against the French, the girl is Irish and one of her parents is French FFS. Talk about sucking up for the Reddies.

Meh. Davy Fitz probably refers to Waterford as 'us' in interviews, does that bother you?

He is talking about a team, he is part of that team setup.

And Bonnin is part of the British broadcast media setup.

spuds

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on August 13, 2010, 08:55:26 PM
Quote from: spuds on August 12, 2010, 05:47:41 PM
QuoteLiz Bonnin (born September 16 1976) is an Irish television presenter who has worked on television in the Republic of Ireland and the United Kingdom. She currently works for the BBC.

[edit] Biography
Born in France to a French father and Trinidadian mother, the family moved to Ireland when she was 10 years old. She has a degree[clarification needed] in biochemistry from Trinity College, Dublin[citation needed] and also holds a master's degree in wild animal biology.[1]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liz_Bonnin

your bang out of order mayogodhelpus on this little cutie
i want you to apologise on here to her

Why? & No. OK she is part French and part Trinidadian. But its the same thing she larking on about the Royal Navy saving "us" from the French  ::)
She's on British TV and you expect her to refer to British services etc in the not belonging to herslf, what sort of connection would that create with her listeners ? I take it you haven't studied any form of communications or media studies !
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

pintsofguinness

Quote from: spuds on August 13, 2010, 11:58:38 PM
QuoteLiz Bonnin (born September 16 1976) is an Irish television presenter who has worked on television in the Republic of Ireland and the United Kingdom. She currently works for the BBC.

[edit] Biography
Born in France to a French father and Trinidadian mother, the family moved to Ireland when she was 10 years old. She has a degree[clarification needed] in biochemistry from Trinity College, Dublin[citation needed] and also holds a master's degree in wild animal biology.[1]

Why? & No. OK she is part French and part Trinidadian. But its the same thing she larking on about the Royal Navy saving "us" from the French  ::)
She's on British TV and you expect her to refer to British services etc in the not belonging to herslf, what sort of connection would that create with her listeners ? I take it you haven't studied any form of communications or media studies !
I take it you've never studied English in any form  ???
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

spuds

Quote from: pintsofguinness on August 14, 2010, 12:02:23 AM
Quote from: spuds on August 13, 2010, 11:58:38 PM

[edit] Biography

I take it you've never studied English in any form  ???
Take it any way you want
John Hubbard

pintsofguinness

btw I don't think anyone with a brain cell would expect her to use "we" or "us" if she's not British.
Would you expect an English person to refer to "we" or "us" on RTE if talking about the same thing? I wouldn't.

deiseach

Quote from: pintsofguinness on August 14, 2010, 10:28:29 AM
btw I don't think anyone with a brain cell would expect her to use "we" or "us" if she's not British.
Would you expect an English person to refer to "we" or "us" on RTE if talking about the same thing? I wouldn't.

George Hamilton refers to the Republic of Ireland soccer team as 'we' and 'us'. And don't tell me that's because he's a dyed-in-the-wool Taig, he's being professional just as the Irish on British TV are being professional.

spuds

Any one with a brain cell wouldn't be getting all worked up about someone doing their job on TV, she'll not be lasting too long by not creating a bond with her viewers and probably not following the script either. I know she wasn't in the GPO with you martyrs but she'll just have to survive without your approval !

What's the story with Philip Bromwell on RTE news ? Doesn't sound like he is from Achill or Finglas !
John Hubbard

pintsofguinness

Quote from: deiseach on August 14, 2010, 12:35:47 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on August 14, 2010, 10:28:29 AM

George Hamilton refers to the Republic of Ireland soccer team as 'we' and 'us'. And don't tell me that's because he's a dyed-in-the-wool Taig, he's being professional just as the Irish on British TV are being professional.
Is George Hamilton not Irish? I thought he was  ???

pintsofguinness

Quote from: spuds on August 14, 2010, 12:36:52 PM
Any one with a brain cell wouldn't be getting all worked up about someone doing their job on TV, she'll not be lasting too long by not creating a bond with her viewers and probably not following the script either. I know she wasn't in the GPO with you martyrs but she'll just have to survive without your approval !

What's the story with Philip Bromwell on RTE news ? Doesn't sound like he is from Achill or Finglas !
It's not part of her job and I don't think it's necessary for her to say "we" to create a bond.

deiseach

Quote from: pintsofguinness on August 14, 2010, 12:40:21 PM

I doubt if he would have grown up supporting the Republic of Ireland soccer team. Do you think he referred to them as 'us' when he worked for the BBC?

deiseach

Quote from: pintsofguinness on August 14, 2010, 12:43:44 PM
It's not part of her job and I don't think it's necessary for her to say "we" to create a bond.

Television producers would probably disagree, but what would they know about television?

spuds

How do you know it's not part of her job ?
Don't know anything about her but maybe she feels at home now in UK with you, good luck to her.
John Hubbard

pintsofguinness

Quote from: deiseach on August 14, 2010, 12:46:57 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on August 14, 2010, 12:40:21 PM

I doubt if he would have grown up supporting the Republic of Ireland soccer team
. Do you think he referred to them as 'us' when he worked for the BBC?
Why? I don't know much about his background but I see he was born in Belfast, I don't get your point. 
I've no idea what he done at the BBC. 

Quote from: deiseach on August 14, 2010, 12:48:47 PM

Television producers would probably disagree, but what would they know about television?
Would you expect an English person (for example) to say "we" when speaking about the Irish on RTE? I wouldn't, I'd think it was stupid, I wouldn't feel any less of a "bond" if they didn't do it, would you?

Quote from: spuds on August 14, 2010, 12:50:32 PM

How do you know it's not part of her job ?
Don't know anything about her but maybe she feels at home now in UK with you, good luck to her.
How do you know it is part of her job? How does Deiseach know what television producers think  ???
I'm the one applying common sense to the situation when you are trying to be a media expert.
I feel at home in England but I still wouldn't refer to the English soccer team or armed services as "we" or "us".