Mackerel

Started by Bud Wiser, August 11, 2010, 11:49:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bud Wiser

Does anyone on here do a spot of fishing, just wondering does anyone know if mackeral are in yet or where you can hire boats along the coast to nab a few to go with the spuds.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

Hardy

No sign of them around here yet. There'd usually be a run in the harbour before now. Some people suggesting they've all been hoovered up by the factory ships.

There's a few lads around here that do fishing trips - pilot provided. I'm not sure about self-drive boats.

Canalman

Can hire boats in Dalkey harbour for the day if you want. Mackerel imo has to be eaten on day of catch or not at all imo.

the Deel Rover

making me hungry Bud hard to beat Mackeral , spuds and mushy peas
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Hardy

Sorry, folks, but I have to do this. I meant to leave it alone and I know I'm going to annoy people, but I'm like a man with boxing gloves and an itchy bum looking at it. It's giving me that nails scraping a blackboard sensation. Other people get irritated by bad refereeing decisions or crooked politicians or important stuff like that, but me ...

So, sorry Bud - it's not you, it's me. But it's mackerEl.

I straighten pictures in my time off from correcting spelling and fixing apostrophes.

I agree with Canalman anyway - straight out of the water and onto the pan is the only way.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: Hardy on August 11, 2010, 12:16:52 PM
Sorry, folks, but I have to do this. I meant to leave it alone and I know I'm going to annoy people, but I'm like a man with boxing gloves and an itchy bum looking at it. It's giving me that nails scraping a blackboard sensation. Other people get irritated by bad refereeing decisions or crooked politicians or important stuff like that, but me ...

I straighten pictures in my time off from correcting spelling and fixing apostrophes.

:D :D :D
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Geoff Tipps

I agree with Canalman anyway - straight out of the water and onto the pan is the only way.

Was just about to do it myself  :)

Bud Wiser

I can almost picture you walking across some Aldi car park and whipping out a hankerchief and giving someones dusty indicators a good old wiping for them in their absence.   

Hardy, what harbour?

" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

Hardy

Quote from: Bud Wiser on August 11, 2010, 12:31:09 PM

I can almost picture you walking across some Aldi car park and whipping out a hankerchief and giving someones dusty indicators a good old wiping for them in their absence.   

I know what you mean, but that wouldn't bother me at all. It's just letters and numbers for some reason. Well, apart from bad pints, of course. And crooked pictures. And fellas talking shite about football. And reality TV. And phoney accents. And noisy people. And the GPA and Cork strikers. And diving and injury-feigning. And Ger Canning, Marty Morrissey, McStay, Davis, etc. And slow horses. So I'm easy-going enough really.

Billys Boots

Rossaveal pier (Ros a Mhíl) in Connemara - down to the pier in the late afternoon, should be able to buy them (for a pittance) off the trawlers as they come in.  Used to be that way anyway.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Billys Boots

You forgot soccerball Hardy.  I see the muttering is coming along nicely though.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Hardy

Quote from: Bud Wiser on August 11, 2010, 12:31:09 PM
Hardy, what harbour?

Cork Harbour. I live in the Lower Harbour area. I know a couple of lads in Glenbrook and Passage West who take out fishing trips. They do a lot of deep-sea stuff, but I'm sure they'd be happy to do a mackerel trip in the harbour (or outside either).

This time of year, people would be fishing off the pier or the harbour wall for mackerel, though when they're not close in you'd obviously have a better chance in a boat. Not that I know much about fishing, but, as I say, people are saying they're scarce.

I can ask the lads about fishing trips or where you could hire a boat to use yourself, if you like. But I don't suppose it makes much sense coming all the way down here if there are not many fish anyway.

Hardy

Quote from: Billys Boots on August 11, 2010, 12:39:12 PM
You forgot soccerball Hardy.  I see the muttering is coming along nicely though.

Ah I was just trying to keep the list down.

I'm getting real good at the mutterin now that both my teams have been seen to.

downredblack

They are in , got some last week off a lad who got them off Balbriggan .

caughtredhanded

No Mackeral on the North Coast yet but I caught some nice plaice on Monday night. Another month should see the Mackeral in.