Councillor Martin Connolly

Started by Myles Na G., August 07, 2010, 06:44:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Myles Na G.

Martin Connolly, independent republican councillor, refuses to condemn an attempt to murder his niece, a PSNI officer.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-10902438
Hopefully Martin's brother / sister will call round and see him to explain to him why they're not too pleased that he would support the blowing to pieces of their daughter.

pintsofguinness

and if he condemned it you'd be starting a thread calling him a hypocrite.  ::)
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Myles Na G.

Quote from: pintsofguinness on August 07, 2010, 06:51:08 PM
and if he condemned it you'd be starting a thread calling him a hypocrite.  ::)
And he would be a hypocrite, but at least he'd be human.

orangeman

Sure Connolly is using the same old language that Adams, Mc Guinness etc used when they deemed that RUC officers were "legitimate targets". What's the big deal ?.

Myles Na G.

Quote from: orangeman on August 08, 2010, 01:51:34 AM
Sure Connolly is using the same old language that Adams, Mc Guinness etc used when they deemed that RUC officers were "legitimate targets". What's the big deal ?.
Councillor Connolly has his political views, just like the rest of us. Unlike the rest of us, however, Connolly thinks his political views are so important, so special, that he's prepared to sanction the killing of a family member in pursuit of his politics. You don't think that's a big deal? Maybe it's just me then. Personally, I think it underlines the complete moral bankruptcy of physical force republicanism.

orangeman

Sinn Fein have accepted that physical force replucianism didn't work. That is their now accepted view.

But that was the line they peddled for years so there's no point picking out this guy for special criticism. Gerry and the boys sang this same song for a long time and there wasn't a word about it.

Timinig is everything.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Myles Na G. on August 08, 2010, 09:32:44 AM
Councillor Connolly has his political views, just like the rest of us. Unlike the rest of us, however, Connolly thinks his political views are so important, so special, that he's prepared to sanction the killing of a family member in pursuit of his politics. You don't think that's a big deal? Maybe it's just me then. Personally, I think it underlines the complete moral bankruptcy of physical force republicanism.
He didn't sanction anything, he wouldn't get involved in condemnation.  Get off your high horse, as I've already said if he condemned it you'd be calling him a hypocrite and giving him abuse about not condemning other attacks etc

Speaking of condemnation, you still haven't condemned comments made on owc last week. Why not?

Myles Na G.

Quote from: orangeman on August 08, 2010, 10:05:25 AM
Sinn Fein have accepted that physical force replucianism didn't work. That is their now accepted view.

But that was the line they peddled for years so there's no point picking out this guy for special criticism. Gerry and the boys sang this same song for a long time and there wasn't a word about it. Timinig is everything.
Er...no. I had plenty of words for it. I don't think Gerry and the boys are any better than Connolly, it's just that he provides the latest and most glaring example of an ideology without a moral compass.

Myles Na G.

Quote from: pintsofguinness on August 08, 2010, 10:11:49 AM
Quote from: Myles Na G. on August 08, 2010, 09:32:44 AM
He didn't sanction anything, he wouldn't get involved in condemnation.  Get off your high horse, as I've already said if he condemned it you'd be calling him a hypocrite and giving him abuse about not condemning other attacks etc

Speaking of condemnation, you still haven't condemned comments made on owc last week. Why not?
Christ almighty, you call it a 'high horse' because I criticise a man who can't bring himself to condemn the attempted murder of his niece? You must view life from a very low perspective, my friend. And then you try and link this with comments on a message board? I think I liked it better when you threw a hissy fit and refused to engage with me for 15 minutes.

pintsofguinness

and you've said you'd also criticise him if he did condemn it so I don't see the point in the thread. 

You won't condemn someone saying they are going to wreck a stadium so I don't think you're anyone to be preaching about condemnation. 

Main Street

But that was the line they peddled for years so there's no point picking out this guy for special criticism. Gerry and the boys sang this same song for a long time and there wasn't a word about it.

Timinig is everything.
Where is it accepted by Sinn Fein that physical force republicanism did not work?

imtommygunn

Myles you changed your language mid way from refused to condem to sanction.

Quite a difference between the two and quite an accusation.

Myles Na G.

Quote from: pintsofguinness on August 08, 2010, 11:46:20 AM
and you've said you'd also criticise him if he did condemn it so I don't see the point in the thread. 

You won't condemn someone saying they are going to wreck a stadium so I don't think you're anyone to be preaching about condemnation.
I haven't condemned it, because noone said it. If you'd checked on OWC (and I know you can't, because you can't remember your username  ;)) you'd have seen a few posters blowing off steam and expressing how they felt. Here's a typical example:

'The image I now have in my head is not one which I would normally admit, but to hell with it.

I'm thinking of seats being ripped up and thrown, terrified corporate guests from the glitterati of the Irish corporate fraud banking and construction industries being assisted in escaping down corridors away from the maelstrom, Gardai turning away and running in the face of never before encountered violence, the pitch being invaded and coated in industrial strength weedkiller leaving it drier and more parched than Bairbre de Brun's clitoris, the posts being discharged in the direction of the dressing room, Liam Brady struggling to escape over a fence, and all of a sudden flames starting to lick up the back wall of the stand.

That's the sort of thing which will get me banned and probably arrested, but f**k it, it's a more satisfying thought than boycotting a second rate friendly tournament.'

Angry, certainly, OTT without a doubt. But does anyone seriously think that's the onset of a plan to vandalise a stadium? Do me a favour. A few posters subsequently told the author of the above to mind what he posted, because even though it was obviously tongue in cheek, someone from the GAA Board was bound to pick it up and present it as evidence of bigoted, brutal, OWC fans, etc etc. And in you steam, just as predicted. It would be comical if it wasn't a bit sad at the same time.

Nally Stand

Can we expect you to start a thread on the release of Torrens Knight now? Or is it only republican "moral bankruptcy" that appalls you?
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Nally Stand

Timinig is everything.

That's the first I knew of that. I would suggest that SF sees physical force as not being a suitable tactic TODAY, but feel that previous armed campaigns were both necessary and justified due to the circumstances of the times.

"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore