The Spider

Started by DirtyDozen12, August 06, 2010, 09:24:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paco

Quote from: ziggysego on August 07, 2010, 05:07:17 PM
On the subject of spiders, I haven't seen one in nearly a year. Are the dying out? What's going on?

Thought the same myself with wasps up until about a week ago, now they seem to be everywhere! I don't even need an alarm clock anymore as there's always one manages to get into my bedroom and I'm up like a shot when I hear the **** buzzing. Haven't seen many spiders recently when I think about it.

ross4life

Isn't one of the Spiders in Ireland the most poisonous in the world? but there fangs are to short to bite... wanna be careful stepping on them  ;)

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

lurganblue

Ziggy the wife would tell ya that if there are no spiders about then you must have mice

ziggysego

Quote from: lurganblue on August 07, 2010, 07:46:14 PM
Ziggy the wife would tell ya that if there are no spiders about then you must have mice

Great, time to get the spiked mallet out again!
Testing Accessibility

Mac hinery

Quote from: ross4life on August 07, 2010, 05:35:38 PM
Isn't one of the Spiders in Ireland the most poisonous in the world? but there fangs are to short to bite... wanna be careful stepping on them  ;)

I think that's the daddy long legs you're on about.  Very potent venom but no delivery mechanism.

Spiders are great.  If you catch them by one back leg and lift them they go into a sort of freeze mode all splayed out.  You can them carry them out safely neither you not the spider get hurt.  Well as long as you don't jerk or snap when lifting cos you could pull the leg off.  They go clean mad then and will attack you with the same resolve and determination they show when building their web day in day out just cos some lad has to get his bike in and out the gate.

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: Mac hinery on August 07, 2010, 10:04:33 PM
Quote from: ross4life on August 07, 2010, 05:35:38 PM

I think that's the daddy long legs you're on about.  Very potent venom but no delivery mechanism.

Spiders are great.  If you catch them by one back leg and lift them they go into a sort of freeze mode all splayed out.  You can them carry them out safely neither you not the spider get hurt.  Well as long as you don't jerk or snap when lifting cos you could pull the leg off.  They go clean mad then and will attack you with the same resolve and determination they show when building their web day in day out just cos some lad has to get his bike in and out the gate.

Comes with the usual Wiki warnings:

QuoteThere is an urban legend stating that daddy long-legs spiders have the most potent venom of any spider, but that their chelicerae (fangs) are either too small or too weak to puncture human skin; the same legend is also repeated of the harvestman and crane fly, also called "daddy long-legs" in some locales. Indeed, pholcid spiders do have a short fang structure (called uncate). However, brown recluse spiders also have uncate fang structure, but are able to deliver medically significant bites. Either pholcid venom is not toxic to humans or there is a musculature difference between the two arachnids, with recluses, being hunting spiders, possessing stronger muscles for fang penetration.[5]
Hasta la victoria siempre

Hereiam

Well wouldn't you know it...... sat nite about to dose off when i felt this tinggling on my upper arm... light on and the 8 legged frigger tried to make a run for it. He stood no chance....dead in 10 seconds..... set it on the wifes pillow to see her reaction....priceless.

illdecide

Quote from: Hereiam on August 09, 2010, 09:19:47 AM
Well wouldn't you know it...... sat nite about to dose off when i felt this tinggling on my upper arm... light on and the 8 legged frigger tried to make a run for it. He stood no chance....dead in 10 seconds..... set it on the wifes pillow to see her reaction....priceless.

And what about the spider :D
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Hardy

It's wrong to kill a spider. That's what I was told when I was a kid. As a result, I can't bring myself to do it to this day.