DRIVING INSTRUCTOR

Started by Gaffer, August 05, 2010, 08:26:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gaffer

Mate of mine is thinking of becoming a driving instructor but hasn't a clue how to go about it or if there is any training required.
Haven't a foggiest meself.

Anyone know?
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

Puckoon

There is definite training required, I think it is a tough enough thing to get licensed in. My uncle did it a few years back around the time Tyrone Crystal was winding down and he needed a new career. Money for auld rope though after that at maybe 15 quid a lesson?

Wee Shea

Quote from: Puckoon on August 05, 2010, 08:33:22 PM
There is definite training required, I think it is a tough enough thing to get licensed in. My uncle did it a few years back around the time Tyrone Crystal was winding down and he needed a new career. Money for auld rope though after that at maybe 15 quid a lesson?

£15? Maybe about five years ago!

I just completed my test and was paying £20 a lesson booking them in blocks of ten, otherwise they were £23 a go.

That was about the cheapest I could get, there are a lot dearer out there.

Puckoon

I was allowing for inflation too - when I was learning it was 11 quid.

pintsofguinness

Of course there's training! Jesus Christ!

Watched a programme a while back about the whole thing and all these companies looking to recruit driving instructors - not all it's made out to be that's for sure, seems to cost a lot of money to do the training and good luck getting business.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Milltown Row2

think there is plenty of business about but the only hing is the unsociable hours!!!

Know a girl who's husband has done it for years. he loves it and has a steady stream of youngsters getting lessons at £25 a pop!!

think you need good patients as it would be nervous enough taking first timers out
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

ziggysego

Avoid joining Red Driving School. I know of someone who did and she lost a lot of money over them. Apparently not the first either.
Testing Accessibility

Maiden1

Don't use a driving school at all. You will pay 3k plus with red aa etc. With no guarantee or no money back if find after 3 lessons it's not for you. Pay someone 30 an hour then if not happy change. No contract no obligation. For your 3k you are getting 60 lessons and may be in a car with someone else
There are no proofs, only opinions.

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: Maiden1 on August 05, 2010, 09:38:31 PM
Don't use a driving school at all. You will pay 3k plus with red aa etc. With no guarantee or no money back if find after 3 lessons it's not for you. Pay someone 30 an hour then if not happy change. No contract no obligation. For your 3k you are getting 60 lessons and may be in a car with someone else
3k? ???

What are you on (about)?

I am getting 10 lessons starting later in the month for less than £200
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

Maiden1

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on August 05, 2010, 09:47:47 PM
3k? ???

What are you on (about)?

you are only learning to drive not learning to become a driving instructor
There are no proofs, only opinions.

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 05, 2010, 09:19:58 PM
think there is plenty of business about but the only hing is the unsociable hours!!!

Know a girl who's husband has done it for years. he loves it and has a steady stream of youngsters getting lessons at £25 a pop!!

think you need good patients as it would be nervous enough taking first timers out

what would you be driving, an ambulance !!
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

paco

You'd need good patience but it can't be good for you, they're usually fairly busy so chances are there are quite a few hairy moments in some of the journeys.

Tyrones own

3k? ???

What are you on (about)?

Jaysus I thought you were about 50 ???
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: Maiden1 on August 05, 2010, 09:50:18 PM
3k? ???

What are you on (about)?

you are only learning to drive not learning to become a driving instructor
Misread, sorry  :)
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

David McKeown

Like Ziggy I have a friend was being trained by Red said it was the worst decision of  his life and he hated it. Play football with another who took it up with Red about a year and is no longer an instructor never asked him why but I get the feeling it's something similar
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner