Joe Kernan Steps down

Started by norabeag, August 03, 2010, 11:54:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

norabeag

Just heard on news that Joe Kernan has tendered his resignation
No real surprise as his tenure has been a bit of a damp squib

ross4life

After one year.... make's one wonder why did he bother taking the job in the first place?
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

norabeag

Quote from: ross4life on August 03, 2010, 11:59:08 PM
After one year.... make's one wonder why did he bother taking the job in the first place?
yo yos? or maybe it was his family ties with Galway ;)

ross4life

Moran is getting plenty of yo yos from Leitrim & he's still there
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Maguire01

That's a bit ridiculous. Unless it's for personal reasons you really need to give it a go for a few years, no matter how bad the first year went.

clarshack

think he should have given it another lash tbh.

GalwayBayBoy

Seems a strange one. I would have thought he would have given it another year to be honest and I think most people were happy to give him another year. He didn't have much luck with injuries and the like this year so I assumed he would be back for another go. Maybe he just got sick of the travel.

stephenite

Apparently Kevin Walsh will be tendering his resignation to the Sligo County board also - looks like there's been a coup

Clarin Pearl

unless Walsh wants to stand in midfield i think he should do another year in sligo

ballinaman

Aer Arann will take a big hit so.... :P

The face

I'd say Monaghan will go after Kernan

Logan

Maybe Banty can get enough money in for next year to team up Grimley and Joe again
::)

Canalman

"Steps down" open to interperatation imo.

Pendulum swinging again towards "home grown " managers.

small white mayoman

Quote from: stephenite on August 04, 2010, 02:49:02 AM
Apparently Kevin Walsh will be tendering his resignation to the Sligo County board also - looks like there's been a coup

that should keep 1 sligo poster happy for a while
All Ireland Champions 2006 & 2007

mckieran

I suspect that Kernan was unaware of the lack of depth of talent in Galway at the moment. That + the travelling may have been a big factor in this. Once Galway had the injuries they endured this year, they just do not have the replacements. Personally, I would liked to have seen him give it one more year. We werent a million miles away from an AI Q/F this year (Bradshaws mistake for the goal was all that was really in it because I firmly believe this Galway team would have beaten Ros). And as people say, there isnt much point just doing it for 1 year. He wouldnt have known much about the fring e players before this year. Maybe the travelling just got too much for him...

A whole review needs to be done of Galway football; Similiar to what is planned in Mayo