2010 All Stars

Started by 5 Sams, August 03, 2010, 04:37:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Brian Dooher has redfined the wing half forward position but Jordan is just an excellent attacking wing half back. There's been many before him and will be many after him.

Other teams model their wing half forwards on Dooher. I wouldn't say anyone models their wing half backs on Jordan...

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on September 23, 2010, 03:25:11 PM
Quote from: MCMLX on September 23, 2010, 12:46:31 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on September 23, 2010, 12:43:20 PM
He's one of the best midfielders in the country.

Down have 3 better midfielders. Cork 3 maybe 4. He wouldnt make the Kerry reserves. I could go on, but you get my drift. It is nothing more than a sympathy vote because of the Leinster final.

Utter nonsense, I presume you're on the wind up. He'd be first choice for Kerry, Down and IMO Cork. Anyway my team is on the left and the team I think the commitae will pick is on the right:

1. Brendan McVeigh                              1. Alan Quirke
2. Peter Kelly                                       2. Peter Kelly
3. Rory O'Carroll                                             3. Michael Shields
4. Michael Shields                                 4. Rory O'Carroll
5. Philip Jordan                                    5. Noel O'Leary
6. Kevin McKernan                                         6. Kevin McKernan
7. Emmet Bolton                                           7. Emmet Bolton
8. Michael D Macauley                                    8. Aidan Walsh
9. Paddy Keenan                                 9. Paddy Keenan
10. Daniel Hughes                              10. Daniel Hughes
11. Johnny Doyle                               11. Martin Clarke
12. Graham Reilly                                         12. Johnny Doyle 
13. Colm Cooper                                13. Bernard Brogan
14. Bernard Brogan                            14. Donncha O'Connor
15. Benny Coulter                              15. Benny Coulter

1 Cork  :o                                         5 Cork
4 Down                                           4 Down
3 Kildare                                          3 Kildare
3 Dublin                                          2 Dublin
1 Louth                                          1 Louth
1 Kerry
1 Tyrone
1 Eastmeath

Even trying to second guess the commitae is near impossible...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

haze

Quote from: imtommygunn on October 14, 2010, 09:28:41 AM
Brian Dooher has redfined the wing half forward position but Jordan is just an excellent attacking wing half back. There's been many before him and will be many after him.

Other teams model their wing half forwards on Dooher. I wouldn't say anyone models their wing half backs on Jordan...

Could not agree more with the above post.

Jordan redefining the position of half back is hyperbole gone mad... Our of interest, was it this year he became the Tyrone playmaker or was it when McGuigan initially got injured?

Louth Exile

All the talk about Canty, I am not surprised with the sentimental all star that he got, even though Mc Kiernan was clearly the man for this spot. They did their best not to give Down more than Cork. His all star at FB in 2007 was even worse, as he was destroyed on several occasions that year and still got the nod, if he didn't deserve one this year, he definitely didn't deserve on in 07!
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

imtommygunn

To those who think Jordan redefined the position...

To redefine the position would that not then mean that other teams then model some of their players on him?

Name one team who does this?

You could name quite a few with Dooher.

Jinxy

Well if they're in the business of giving out sentimental All-Stars they should have given John Galvin one too.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

screenexile

Hmmmmm not sure about this years All Stars to be honest.

I would probably switch McKernan with Canty and I would also agree with Jordan getting one. He is outstanding, not "redefined the position" outstanding as I don't think he does anything new but he is very good at what he does.

Midfield is baffling about Walsh. One good game well one exceptional game does not deserve an All Star and the medioctiry and poor play that came before the final through the year means he shouldn't get one.

I would have given Galvin one and no MD McAuley. McAuley had a good year but never really dominated a game I feel but he is still young and a bit rough around the edges. He will come good soon.

Up front it's hard not to give Cork an Allstar and I feel Goulding should have gotten one but I can't make up my mind who in place of.

Either way it's a hard call and there is no way everyone is going to agree with it. I love the people who crazily over react to it as if it's a curse on their mothers that a certain player didn't get an award. . . catch yourselves on!!

Louth Exile

Quote from: Jinxy on October 14, 2010, 12:27:26 PM
Well if they're in the business of giving out sentimental All-Stars they should have given John Galvin one too.
Difference there Jinxy is that I think Galvin would have won his on merit!!

Quote from: screenexile on October 14, 2010, 01:27:05 PM
I love the people who crazily over react to it as if it's a curse on their mothers that a certain player didn't get an award. . . catch yourselves on!!

:D
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

seafoid

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on October 13, 2010, 11:13:43 PM
I would have though Donie Shine might have gotten one to mark Roscommon's Connacht title.

Ros would need to win a QF to start thinking about allstars.

ross4life

Quote from: seafoid on October 14, 2010, 04:01:20 PM
I would have though Donie Shine might have gotten one to mark Roscommon's Connacht title.

So what OF did louth,Tyrone,Sligo & kerry win this year to get allstars? & Kevin Walsh got one in 2003 for not winning a QF

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

ross matt

Quote from: ross4life on October 14, 2010, 05:02:49 PM
Quote from: seafoid on October 14, 2010, 04:01:20 PM

So what OF did louth,Tyrone,Sligo & kerry win this year to get allstars? & Kevin Walsh got one in 2003 for not winning a QF
Well argued Ross4life. Donie maybe didnt quite deserve one but the quarterfinal argument is a case of "Seafoid talking Seafoid".

sammymaguire

Some good debate on here fair play folks
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Kerry Mike

QuoteSo what OF did louth,Tyrone,Sligo & kerry win this year to get allstars?

We beat Cork, anyone else do so this year in Championship? A fact that pisses off many a Cork man and woman when they mention they have won the double this year, "yerra", says I, "ye still can't bate Kerry when it matters". In fact I think we deserved more than the Gooch's All Star  :P
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

ross4life

Quote from: Kerry Mike on October 14, 2010, 09:34:19 PM
QuoteSo what OF did louth,Tyrone,Sligo & kerry win this year to get allstars?

We beat Cork, anyone else do so this year in Championship? A fact that pisses off many a Cork man and woman when they mention they have won the double this year, "yerra", says I, "ye still can't bate Kerry when it matters". In fact I think we deserved more than the Gooch's All Star  :P

Short memory Kerry Mike? last year only Cork beat you..
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Kerry Mike

QuoteShort memory Kerry Mike? last year only Cork beat you..

not when it mattered in the All Ireland final they didn't  ;)
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football