2010 All Stars

Started by 5 Sams, August 03, 2010, 04:37:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TacadoirArdMhacha

I would have though Donie Shine might have gotten one to mark Roscommon's Connacht title.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Jinxy

Quote from: J OGorman on October 13, 2010, 09:13:55 PM
Quote from: southsidejohnny on October 13, 2010, 08:26:35 PM
What is it about Kildare that gets All Stars on a quiet year? They got three in 1997 for winning one match and losing a Leinster semi final. Journalists are like politicians, they throw things out to gain access and influence, Harrison of Sligo an All Star and Galvan from Limerick not? Its a joke. But it was long ago most people saw them for what they were. David Heaney from Mayo was outstanding all season in 2004 and had a poor final. Canty was injured all this season and had a good twenty minutes in the final and gets one, was it because he was Corks captain?. All Stars...more like All S****. How can Canty get one and Nicholas Murphy not get one? How come Donie Shine who's team actually won something in Connacht this year as opposed to a shower who were blinded by their own wind and letters from important people like TDs ! ,didnt get one?

explain the bit in bold if you get a minute

you cant please everyone sir. Canty is the obvious questionable recipient in fairness

Philip Jordan is the best half-back in the country and was a shoe in for an award

As someone said earlier, thats a serious front 6

No he isn't.
Tomás Ó Sé is the best half-back to have played the game.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

ONeill

Quote from: Jinxy on October 13, 2010, 11:22:26 PM

No he isn't.
Tomás Ó Sé is the best half-back to have played the game.

Feck me. Are you 125?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

DuffleKing

Quote from: omagh_gael on October 13, 2010, 09:10:18 PM
Quote from: DuffleKing on October 13, 2010, 08:50:33 PM

I couldn't work out how jordan got nominated never mind getting one

You obviously haven't watched many Tyrone games this year. He played well in every single one, scored in them all, or vast majority.

Everyone thinks they have the most beautiful wife at home.

ross4life

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on October 13, 2010, 11:13:43 PM
I would have though Donie Shine might have gotten one to mark Roscommon's Connacht title.

Yup we usually get at least one after winning a Connacht title & Shine didn't even get a nomination for the YPOTY - Graham Reilly, Peter Kelly ,Adian Walsh.

IMO that's a joke not getting a nomination! without a doubt he was one of the best young players this year

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Zulu

A few lads are being very harsh on Aidan Walsh, while he kicked some awful wides he actually played very well all year and deserves his All Star. While I accept Keenan played very well, he was poor against Dublin and was out of the championship before the really big games started so I'd give the nod to McAuley and Walsh. R. O'Connell (Dublin) would also make my team I think.

I suppose these things can always be debated and as someone else said Canty is the only glaring mistake.

Zapatista

ExiledGael
QuoteGoes to show how you can never please people with these types of awards.

You'll never please everybody with any award due to the fact that it is awarded (usually by someone other than yourself).
The only way to solve it is to put all the nominees in a field and tell them that the last 15 standing are the winners. There could be no argument as they would have actually won something rather than be awarded something.

topo d rite

Of the 4 provincial winners, there are only 2 awards, none for Ros or Meath, 1 each for Kerry and Tyrone. You'd imagine that Joe sheridan would be a shoe-in for his dramatic and technically brilliant execution in the Leinster final !!!!! Joking aside it's great to see that the 'real' leinster champs have an all-star, scant consolation but there is an element of poetic justice for the Louth gaels. Something for the Royals to ponder on though, deservedly nada for them only a tarnished leinster medal. Shine should have got one for Ros!

highball

Not sure how John Galvin didn't make that team, he almost pulled Limerick back to get a win vs Kerry and dominated the Cork midfield in the qualifiers, and a Walsh gets one ahead of him. Nuts!  ???

ross4life

Quote from: highball on October 14, 2010, 12:10:28 AM
Not sure how John Galvin didn't make that team, he almost pulled Limerick back to get a win vs Kerry and dominated the Cork midfield in the qualifiers, and a Walsh gets one ahead of him. Nuts!  ???

Walsh was also very poor v us.. he was taken off at half time replaced by Murphy
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

nrico2006

Goulding did not deserve an award, hit a few frees but didn't set the world alight from play.  Graham Canty shouldn't have got one, barely played any football this year and he was hardly outstanding when he did.  As for Colm Cooper, anybody that criticises him being selected on the team clearly don't have a clue, because if they had watched the games he played this year and seen that he was in top form and was practically unmarkable.

I thought that Justin McMahon should have got the full-back award too.

I don't understand how people are questioning Philip Jordan's selection either; he has been the best wing back in the Country over the past 10 years and has basically redefined the position.  He had a poor 2009 but after surgery has came back stronger this year and didn't give his man a sniff in all the games and actually contributed a handsome tally himself.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Banana Man

QuoteNot sure how John Galvin didn't make that team, he almost pulled Limerick back to get a win vs Kerry and dominated the Cork midfield in the qualifiers, and a Walsh gets one ahead of him. Nuts!   

not being smart highball but how many games did Limerick play this year? you need to be there or thereabouts at the end of the season to be in with a strong shout , having said that I don't know how canty deserved one

Final Whistle

Well Done Philly-for the haters across the water :-* :-* :-*

haze

Quote from: nrico2006 on October 14, 2010, 09:01:11 AM
I don't understand how people are questioning Philip Jordan's selection either; he has been the best wing back in the Country over the past 10 years and has basically redefined the position.  He had a poor 2009 but after surgery has came back stronger this year and didn't give his man a sniff in all the games and actually contributed a handsome tally himself.

Yeah anyone giving out about Philip Jordan or Cooper didnt watch enough matches.

Though any chance you can explain how Jordan redefined the position? - Jordan is a super half back but as examples Sean Og De Paor, Paul Curran and Tomas O Se played/play the game in the same fashion as Jordan. Though Moynihan for me is the best half back over last 15 years

Final Whistle

Quote from: haze on October 14, 2010, 09:23:45 AM
Quote from: nrico2006 on October 14, 2010, 09:01:11 AM

Yeah anyone giving out about Philip Jordan or Cooper didnt watch enough matches.

Though any chance you can explain how Jordan redefined the position? - Jordan is a super half back but as examples Sean Og De Paor, Paul Curran and Tomas O Se played/play the game in the same fashion as Jordan. Though Moynihan for me is the best half back over last 15 years

Watch More Matches-Philly has now redefined the playmaker position to the half back line. Albeit in Brian McGuigan's absense, the tactic was forced upon Tyrone, but the no.7 is now the Tyrone playmakerl.