Jinxy

Quote from: nrico2006 on September 24, 2010, 11:31:47 AM
Quote from: Mike Sheehy on September 24, 2010, 04:10:31 AM
Quote from: passedit on September 23, 2010, 09:35:10 AM
Quote from: Mike Sheehy on September 23, 2010, 05:19:25 AM
Quote from: passedit on September 16, 2010, 09:55:56 AM
Quote from: AFS on September 16, 2010, 12:22:35 AM
Quote from: INDIANA on September 16, 2010, 12:14:04 AM
As I said the Nordies are just jealous because they no longer have a player remotely in his class as a strike forward.

Fact.

What's a strike forward?

In fairness, it seems like the Downers are the only ones that have a problem with Brogan.

I have no problem with Brogan, I think he's a fine player and hopefully will get even better. This does not however, take from the fact that he dropped a bollock in the semi final. If Cluxton had made outstanding saves all year and then dropped a soft one in with 10 to go in the semi final would anyone be calling for him to get POTY? Cos that's the equivalent of what Brogan did. Does anybody think Ray Cosgrove should have got it in 2002?

How would you rate Benny Coulters performance on Sunday Passedit ?

Considering they scored 15 points on the back of a well beaten midfield, I can have no complaints about any of the forwards who started on sunday for Down. If you're implying that he blew his chance of player of the year, I don't think he was ever in the running for it. Brogan will now win it by default, however considering the Cork buck got MOM on sunday for kickin frees, he might get it for kickin frees all year.

You dont think Coulter choked ? or "dropped a bollock" as you might put it ?

A one point return is pretty poor performance for someone that a lot of you lads have been saying is one of, if not the, best forward in the Country. Also, he got plenty of ball , especially in the first half and kicked some very poor wides and was showing signs of bottling it from early on in the game. The Cork forwards would have been crucified by lads like you if they had put in a performance liike Coulters and they had lost. In fact, they were lambasted by many on here after last years AI for similar performances.

yet Coulter, and Clarke as well while we are at it,  get a pass when they fail to live up to expectations....you Nordies have some very strange double standards.

I have to agree.  What exactly did Coulter and Clarke score this year from play?  In two of their biggest games (against Tyrone and Cork) neither offered any real threat and were largely anonymous, so for me talk of both being certainties for All Stars or being POTY contenders really show up this awards process for the shambles it is.  It would be great for the best 15 to be given the awards, irrelevant of how far the team got. 

From what I have saw this year, the best scoring forwards from play would include Stevie McDonnell, Owen Mulligan, Padraig Joyce, Bernard Brogan, Jamie Clarke, Donnacha O'Connor and Shane O'Rourke.  Others in contention would be Danny Hughes, Donal Shine, Colm Cooper or Martin Penrose.

Walsh had a great AIF but did very little the rest of the year, so does he deserve an award in the middle for this alone - no.  Ambrose Rodgers was the best midfielder this year, and Kalum King was up there aswell.  Philip Jordan and Justin McMahon were the best players in their positions also.   

Graham Reilly was averaging 0-3 from play a game from wing-forward.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Dinny Breen

James Kavanagh. Eamon Callaghan and JD have all high scoring averages from play...
#newbridgeornowhere

haze

Check Keith Barr's team of the year out....

Stephen Cluxton (Dublin); Charlie Harrison (Sligo), Michael Shields (Cork), Philly McMahon (Dublin); Tomás Ó Sé (Kerry), Emmet Bolton (Kildare), Stephen Lavin (Limerick); Paddy Keenan (Louth), Michael Darragh Macauley (Dublin); Daniel Hughes (Down), Martin Clarke (Down), Graham Reilly (Meath); Daniel Goulding (Cork), Bernard Brogan (Dublin), Johnny Doyle (Kildare).

8 players from Leinster!

Jinxy

ross4life

How many of Barr's team are likely to get Allstars 5/6 maybe?

Seamus Duke (Roscommon writer/broadcaster) Team of the Championship

Claffey,O'Carroll,McMahon,Shields,Bolton,McKiernan,O'Leary,Walsh,Fitzpatrick,Clarke,O'Neill,Hughes,Gouding,Brogan,Doyle
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Jinxy

Quote from: ross4life on September 24, 2010, 04:27:59 PM

Claffey,O'Carroll,McMahon,Shields,Bolton,McKiernan,O'Leary,Walsh,Fitzpatrick,Clarke,O'Neill,Hughes,Gouding,Brogan,Doyle

Which O'Neill is this?
Please tell me it's not Pearse!

ExiledGael

Quote from: Jinxy on September 24, 2010, 05:59:43 PM

Which O'Neill is this?

Can't see who else it is, and Fitzpatrick? Is that Peter the Down midfielder who played in the semi-final and final alone?

INDIANA

Quote from: nrico2006 on September 24, 2010, 11:31:47 AM
Quote from: Mike Sheehy on September 24, 2010, 04:10:31 AM
Quote from: passedit on September 23, 2010, 09:35:10 AM
Quote from: Mike Sheehy on September 23, 2010, 05:19:25 AM
Quote from: passedit on September 16, 2010, 09:55:56 AM
Quote from: AFS on September 16, 2010, 12:22:35 AM
Quote from: INDIANA on September 16, 2010, 12:14:04 AM
As I said the Nordies are just jealous because they no longer have a player remotely in his class as a strike forward.

Fact.

What's a strike forward?

In fairness, it seems like the Downers are the only ones that have a problem with Brogan.

I have no problem with Brogan, I think he's a fine player and hopefully will get even better. This does not however, take from the fact that he dropped a bollock in the semi final. If Cluxton had made outstanding saves all year and then dropped a soft one in with 10 to go in the semi final would anyone be calling for him to get POTY? Cos that's the equivalent of what Brogan did. Does anybody think Ray Cosgrove should have got it in 2002?

How would you rate Benny Coulters performance on Sunday Passedit ?

Considering they scored 15 points on the back of a well beaten midfield, I can have no complaints about any of the forwards who started on sunday for Down. If you're implying that he blew his chance of player of the year, I don't think he was ever in the running for it. Brogan will now win it by default, however considering the Cork buck got MOM on sunday for kickin frees, he might get it for kickin frees all year.

You dont think Coulter choked ? or "dropped a bollock" as you might put it ?

A one point return is pretty poor performance for someone that a lot of you lads have been saying is one of, if not the, best forward in the Country. Also, he got plenty of ball , especially in the first half and kicked some very poor wides and was showing signs of bottling it from early on in the game. The Cork forwards would have been crucified by lads like you if they had put in a performance liike Coulters and they had lost. In fact, they were lambasted by many on here after last years AI for similar performances.

yet Coulter, and Clarke as well while we are at it,  get a pass when they fail to live up to expectations....you Nordies have some very strange double standards.

I have to agree.  What exactly did Coulter and Clarke score this year from play?  In two of their biggest games (against Tyrone and Cork) neither offered any real threat and were largely anonymous, so for me talk of both being certainties for All Stars or being POTY contenders really show up this awards process for the shambles it is.  It would be great for the best 15 to be given the awards, irrelevant of how far the team got. 

From what I have saw this year, the best scoring forwards from play would include Stevie McDonnell, Owen Mulligan, Padraig Joyce, Bernard Brogan, Jamie Clarke, Donnacha O'Connor and Shane O'Rourke.  Others in contention would be Danny Hughes, Donal Shine, Colm Cooper or Martin Penrose.

Walsh had a great AIF but did very little the rest of the year, so does he deserve an award in the middle for this alone - no.  Ambrose Rodgers was the best midfielder this year, and Kalum King was up there aswell.  Philip Jordan and Justin McMahon were the best players in their positions also.   

Cant agree on Clarke. Scored plenty for a half forward. In the modern game most of the scores come from the full forward line. Bullshit to award the best scoring forwards from play when they are inside forwards. When will the numbskulls here get it through their heads that good corner forwards couldn't play wing forward in the modern game. So since the game involves wing forwards they should be awarded to wing forwards.

So in a nutshell. Hughes -Clarke- Reilly\Kelly.

For me Paddy Kelly has been the best wing forward in Ireland for 2 years now. I'd love to transfer him to Dublin. BUt Reilly was excellent all year.

ross4life

Quote from: Jinxy on September 24, 2010, 05:59:43 PM

Which O'Neill is this?

Yep it's Pearse O'Neill i guess Seamus picked him because he played well vs us  ::) &  yes Peter Fitzpatrick
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

clubland

Charlie harrison sligo a cert,

Shrewdness

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on September 23, 2010, 09:41:39 PM
Maybe the allstar commitee will pick 1 Connacht man, who will be that man? I think its between Shine and Harrison. Harrison at 4/7 is very tight odds, i was suprised as i thought Shine was more likely, but hes at 3/1...

Cant see Kelly getting in the FF line tbh.

Sligonian, i would agree with you on most of what you said. I agree that Donovan should be in ahead of Harrison in the nominations, and as a Rossie, i'm pleasantly surprised that Cathal Cregg has been nominated.
The omissions of Geoffrey Claffey and Alan Costello are a disgrace, and it's decisions like that which undermine the credibility of the modern day All Star 'selection' process.

Re David Kelly, whilst he definitely deserved his nomination, it must be pointed out that he received it for his performances against Mayo and Galway only.
He failed to score in the Connacht Final against Roscommon, and nearly had to be surgically removed from Seanie Mc Dermott's pocket after the game.
He did then score 0-2 against Down , but from my info, didn't pull up any trees in the process.

His best form was in the earlier rounds of the Connacht Championship, and unfortunately nowadays, a Connacht player nearly has to perform miracles to get an All Star....Just ask Claffey and Costello.

But, as you said Sligonian, there might be one token Connacht All Star this year.

Mourne Rover

There appears to have been a rush of money for Benny Coulter in the All Star betting over the last 24 hours. According to Paddy Power, he has come in from 8/1 to 9/4. He is still only fifth in line for the three positions, but it would seem that many punters think he was initially well over-priced. It's also possible that Benny has put a few bob on himself.

Thursday prices (no quote for Brogan).
D Goulding 1/12
D O'Connor 2/7
C Cooper 4/6
D Shine 3/1
J Kavanagh 11/2
B Coulter 8/1
D Kelly 20/1
P Joyce 33/1

Friday prices.
B Brogan    1/500
D Goulding    1/12
D O'Connor    4/11
C Cooper    5/6
B Coulter    9/4
D Shine    9/2
J Kavanagh    7/1
D Kelly    20/1
P Joyce     33/1

MCMLX

what has Cooper done this year to be included in the nominations never mind get an  All Star? D Raff kept him very quiet from play.

BarryBreensBandage

There's always a glaring omission from these type of awards, (already has happened with the nominations and Cluxton) and I have a really bad feeling that this year its gonna be Benny that is left out.

The man is a champion - we all know we wouldn't have even got out of Ballybofey were it not for his performance.
And where would Down's championship have gone then?
"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: MCMLX on September 25, 2010, 12:26:40 AM
what has Cooper done this year to be included in the nominations never mind get an  All Star? D Raff kept him very quiet from play.

..are you still here...?

Gooch has done a lot more than Benny Coulter in this years championship,  thats for sure.