2010 All Stars

Started by 5 Sams, August 03, 2010, 04:37:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Over the Bar

If any Tyrone, Kerry or Cork keeper shipped 5 goals against the current Meath side they'd probably be lucky to wear their county jersey again never mind get an all-star nomination!

haze

Quote from: snoopdog on September 23, 2010, 09:25:11 PM
Quote from: haze on September 23, 2010, 09:19:46 PM
Quote from: snoopdog on September 23, 2010, 09:13:49 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on September 23, 2010, 07:08:16 PM
When Cluxton was omitted- really showed what a sham the whole process is

you dont get all stars for taking 45's.
All keepers mentioned are better than Cluxton.

Which do you mean- better this year, or better full stop?

I think Cluxton is a better keeper than all three but McVeigh had a better year than Cluxton and so deserves an All Star. Regardless of whether he has any saves to make, his kick outs and distribution from open play make him the stand out keeper in the country- the 45's are just an added bonus
i mean this year. in fairness though a keeper should be judged on his saves not whether or not 80% of his kickouts are won in midfield by his own team, should that all star not go to the man fielding the ball in the middle. imo

I dont know sure its a mix of both- Cluxton is more often than not landing the ball on a plate to the boys in midfield. Shane Ryan would not have got remotely as much possession of the ball if it were not for Cluxton. Obviously i agree that the main criteria should be shot stopping- otherwise Donal Og would have picked up a few more All stars over Cummins and Fitzhenry

INDIANA

Quote from: snoopdog on September 23, 2010, 09:13:49 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on September 23, 2010, 07:08:16 PM
When Cluxton was omitted- really showed what a sham the whole process is

you dont get all stars for taking 45's.
All keepers mentioned are better than Cluxton.

sorry to correct you but none of them are as good. None. The 2nd best keeper in the country didn't get a nomination either. He lays for Roscommon.

SLIGONIAN

Maybe the allstar commitee will pick 1 Connacht man, who will be that man? I think its between Shine and Harrison. Harrison at 4/7 is very tight odds, i was suprised as i thought Shine was more likely, but hes at 3/1...

Cant see Kelly getting in the FF line tbh.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

imtommygunn

It's funny how things turn round. The other year the all stars were a farce because Cluxton got an allstar and now they're a farce because cluxton didn't get a nomination...

heffo

Quote from: imtommygunn on September 23, 2010, 10:02:19 PM
It's funny how things turn round. The other year the all stars were a farce because Cluxton got an allstar and now they're a farce because cluxton didn't get a nomination...

The All-Stars are a farce full stop. It's an exercise in horse-trading that never ever comes close to picking the best and most deserving players

imtommygunn

It is getting worse every year though. The panel of people who pick those things need to be reviewed. I don't know exactly who is on it but I would suspect that a few of them, at least, wouldn't be seeing much, if any football, pre late July / early August.

There is a very large element of politics with who gets them which discredits them.

I will respect them a bit more if John Galvin gets one to be honest.

On an individual player by player basis I'm not convinced Cork deserve that many. In fact I think they deserve less than Down (Down had a few stand out individuals) but because they won they have to get quite a few.

I would also say Jordan was best HB in Ireland this year (IMO). Justin McMahon probably the best FB too. One of two will get an all star as a token gesture. Not sure which one...

Costello best HF in the game this year - outstanding. The fact that he is nowhere to be seen raises large questions for me. Cluxton is more high profile but Costello is the worst omission.

imtommygunn

I think you're being a bit harsh on Coulter there.

Another example there is David Kelly of Sligo. Great corner forward who had a great year. Probably deserves to get one but will be nowhere near it.

Shields should be the only Cork shoe in. Hughes and Clarke for Down. I don't think Goulding merits one this year nor Kerrigan. Potentially O'Connor and Kelly.

I'd pick:
McVeigh
Shields
McMahon
AN other between Kelly and McMahon
Jordan
McKiernan
Bolton
Keenan
Galvin
Clarke
Hughes
Doyle
O'Connor
Brogan
Unsure on the last spot - maybe Coulter

That'd be 2 cork players. Never gonna happen...

Mourne Rover

TYP, you have made many reasonable posts in the past, but comparing Paddy Bradley to Benny Coulter is laughable. Bradley is a very talented individual who relies on frees for most of his scores. He can hit points for fun when the mood takes him, but frequently he huffs with his team-mates or the referee and his disciplinary record has regularly been poor. Benny has carried some poor Down sides over the years without ever giving less than 100 per cent. He gets all of his scores from play and has more championship goals than any other Ulster player. Benny can turn a game which is going against his team, as he proved against Donegal in the USC, and every single one of his points in the three Croke Park matches at the climax of the season was a gem. It will be a travesty if he does not get his All Star.

Jinxy

Quote from: snoopdog on September 23, 2010, 09:21:17 PM
Quote from: Over the Bar on September 23, 2010, 09:15:15 PM
QuoteAll keepers mentioned are better than Cluxton.
]

same as every other year he got one then!
indeed. shipping 5 against an average meath side would be a reason for no selection.
in fairness though the all stars are a waste of time.

Your keeper wouldn't have stopped any of those goals.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Zapatista

Do all All Star thread have a 50% Quota of posts referring to Cluxton before they can be taken seriously?

I think I just reached 51% that percentage with this post.

INDIANA

Quote from: Zapatista on September 24, 2010, 12:01:07 AM
Do all All Star thread have a 50% Quota of posts referring to Cluxton before they can be taken seriously?

I think I just reached 51% that percentage with this post.
absolutely. When discussing the countrys best keeper its a shortlist of one with his name on it.

Zapatista

Quote from: INDIANA on September 24, 2010, 12:13:36 AM
absolutely. When discussing the countrys best keeper its a shortlist of one with his name on it.

Good.

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: passedit on September 23, 2010, 09:35:10 AM
Quote from: Mike Sheehy on September 23, 2010, 05:19:25 AM
Quote from: passedit on September 16, 2010, 09:55:56 AM
Quote from: AFS on September 16, 2010, 12:22:35 AM
Quote from: INDIANA on September 16, 2010, 12:14:04 AM
As I said the Nordies are just jealous because they no longer have a player remotely in his class as a strike forward.

Fact.

What's a strike forward?

In fairness, it seems like the Downers are the only ones that have a problem with Brogan.

I have no problem with Brogan, I think he's a fine player and hopefully will get even better. This does not however, take from the fact that he dropped a bollock in the semi final. If Cluxton had made outstanding saves all year and then dropped a soft one in with 10 to go in the semi final would anyone be calling for him to get POTY? Cos that's the equivalent of what Brogan did. Does anybody think Ray Cosgrove should have got it in 2002?

How would you rate Benny Coulters performance on Sunday Passedit ?

Considering they scored 15 points on the back of a well beaten midfield, I can have no complaints about any of the forwards who started on sunday for Down. If you're implying that he blew his chance of player of the year, I don't think he was ever in the running for it. Brogan will now win it by default, however considering the Cork buck got MOM on sunday for kickin frees, he might get it for kickin frees all year.

You dont think Coulter choked ? or "dropped a bollock" as you might put it ?

A one point return is pretty poor performance for someone that a lot of you lads have been saying is one of, if not the, best forward in the Country. Also, he got plenty of ball , especially in the first half and kicked some very poor wides and was showing signs of bottling it from early on in the game. The Cork forwards would have been crucified by lads like you if they had put in a performance liike Coulters and they had lost. In fact, they were lambasted by many on here after last years AI for similar performances.

yet Coulter, and Clarke as well while we are at it,  get a pass when they fail to live up to expectations....you Nordies have some very strange double standards.

nrico2006

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on September 24, 2010, 04:10:31 AM
Quote from: passedit on September 23, 2010, 09:35:10 AM
Quote from: Mike Sheehy on September 23, 2010, 05:19:25 AM
Quote from: passedit on September 16, 2010, 09:55:56 AM
Quote from: AFS on September 16, 2010, 12:22:35 AM
Quote from: INDIANA on September 16, 2010, 12:14:04 AM
As I said the Nordies are just jealous because they no longer have a player remotely in his class as a strike forward.

Fact.

What's a strike forward?

In fairness, it seems like the Downers are the only ones that have a problem with Brogan.

I have no problem with Brogan, I think he's a fine player and hopefully will get even better. This does not however, take from the fact that he dropped a bollock in the semi final. If Cluxton had made outstanding saves all year and then dropped a soft one in with 10 to go in the semi final would anyone be calling for him to get POTY? Cos that's the equivalent of what Brogan did. Does anybody think Ray Cosgrove should have got it in 2002?

How would you rate Benny Coulters performance on Sunday Passedit ?

Considering they scored 15 points on the back of a well beaten midfield, I can have no complaints about any of the forwards who started on sunday for Down. If you're implying that he blew his chance of player of the year, I don't think he was ever in the running for it. Brogan will now win it by default, however considering the Cork buck got MOM on sunday for kickin frees, he might get it for kickin frees all year.

You dont think Coulter choked ? or "dropped a bollock" as you might put it ?

A one point return is pretty poor performance for someone that a lot of you lads have been saying is one of, if not the, best forward in the Country. Also, he got plenty of ball , especially in the first half and kicked some very poor wides and was showing signs of bottling it from early on in the game. The Cork forwards would have been crucified by lads like you if they had put in a performance liike Coulters and they had lost. In fact, they were lambasted by many on here after last years AI for similar performances.

yet Coulter, and Clarke as well while we are at it,  get a pass when they fail to live up to expectations....you Nordies have some very strange double standards.

I have to agree.  What exactly did Coulter and Clarke score this year from play?  In two of their biggest games (against Tyrone and Cork) neither offered any real threat and were largely anonymous, so for me talk of both being certainties for All Stars or being POTY contenders really show up this awards process for the shambles it is.  It would be great for the best 15 to be given the awards, irrelevant of how far the team got. 

From what I have saw this year, the best scoring forwards from play would include Stevie McDonnell, Owen Mulligan, Padraig Joyce, Bernard Brogan, Jamie Clarke, Donnacha O'Connor and Shane O'Rourke.  Others in contention would be Danny Hughes, Donal Shine, Colm Cooper or Martin Penrose.

Walsh had a great AIF but did very little the rest of the year, so does he deserve an award in the middle for this alone - no.  Ambrose Rodgers was the best midfielder this year, and Kalum King was up there aswell.  Philip Jordan and Justin McMahon were the best players in their positions also.   
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'