2010 All Stars

Started by 5 Sams, August 03, 2010, 04:37:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogball XV

Quote from: MCMLX on September 23, 2010, 12:46:31 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on September 23, 2010, 12:43:20 PM
He's one of the best midfielders in the country.

Down have 3 better midfielders. Cork 3 maybe 4. He wouldnt make the Kerry reserves. I could go on, but you get my drift. It is nothing more than a sympathy vote because of the Leinster final.
aye, you'd know that by the amount of ball they won in the second half on sunday

Man Marker

Quote from: Bogball XV on September 23, 2010, 02:43:46 PM

Down have 3 better midfielders. Cork 3 maybe 4. He wouldnt make the Kerry reserves. I could go on, but you get my drift. It is nothing more than a sympathy vote because of the Leinster final.
aye, you'd know that by the amount of ball they won in the second half on sunday

:D :D :D, MCMLX would be best advised to take his head out of where the sun don't shine :D

J OGorman

Quote from: Jinxy on September 23, 2010, 01:49:12 PM
If you didn't have people creaming themselves over him here and in the media would you really have thought he was that good this year?
I mean, outside of the Kerry game (where he was excellent) I genuinely don't think he was anywhere near as good as everyone else seems to think.

would you have Kerrigan on your team or Clarke?

Jinxy

Bringing a forward back into the half-back line should not qualify him for an All-Star as a half-back.
Was he even picking up an opposition half-forward?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

J OGorman

Quote from: Jinxy on September 23, 2010, 03:00:27 PM
I'd have Kelly.

would say Kelly and Clarke will be a shoe in for 2 of the half-forward slots

Mid Down Gael

Kevin McKernan was used as a sub against Longford in Newry after being dropped for Darren OHagan from the tyrone game even though he stil wore number 5, and again against Offaly in Tullamore. He started the Sligo game at centre half back wearing 18 and played a stormer at 6 in our last 3 outings in Croker. He played right half back in our ulster championship games. He is well worth his all star with 4 brilliant displays against Sligo, Kerry, Kildare and Cork. Class act.

MCMLX

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 23, 2010, 12:49:15 PM
Please don't presume to tell me why I think he deserves an All Star. Paddy Keenan is one of the best midfielders in the country, and during Louth's run this year he played at that level.

Jackie Lynch wiped the floor with the entire Louth midfield 2 years running in Division 3. No one has ever claimed that Lynch is all star material. If Keenan gets an all star it will be a sympathy vote and nothing more. The all star selection panel will try to right the wrong of the Leinster final fiasco, something the GAA should have had the balls to do. Keenan is the stand out player on a very average Louth team, nothing more.

Croí na hÉireann

Utter nonsense, I presume you're on the wind up. He'd be first choice for Kerry, Down and IMO Cork. Anyway my team is on the left and the team I think the commitae will pick is on the right:

1. Brendan McVeigh                              1. Alan Quirke
2. Peter Kelly                                       2. Peter Kelly
3. Rory O'Carroll                                   3. Michael Shields
4. Michael Shields                                 4. Rory O'Carroll
5. Philip Jordan                                    5. Noel O'Leary
6. Kevin McKernan                               6. Kevin McKernan
7. Emmet Bolton                                 7. Emmet Bolton
8. Michael D Macauley                           8. Aidan Walsh
9. Paddy Keenan                                 9. Paddy Keenan
10. Daniel Hughes                              10. Daniel Hughes
11. Johnny Doyle                               11. Martin Clarke
12. Graham Reilly                               12. Johnny Doyle 
13. Colm Cooper                                13. Bernard Brogan
14. Bernard Brogan                            14. Donncha O'Connor
15. Benny Coulter                              15. Benny Coulter

1 Cork  :o                                         5 Cork
4 Down                                           4 Down
3 Kildare                                          3 Kildare
3 Dublin                                          2 Dublin
1 Louth                                          1 Louth
1 Kerry
1 Tyrone
1 Eastmeath
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

ross matt

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on September 23, 2010, 02:42:04 PM
Quote from: Giveitlong on September 23, 2010, 11:30:47 AM
No disrespect to an outstanding servant of the game, but I am astonished that Padraig Joyce has received an All Star nomination. Losing provincial semi-finalist. Indifferent League form and matches against NY and Sligo, where he obviously did well but nothing worthy of a nomination in my view. I'm afraid it smacks of sentimentality.

You're obviously well informed. PJ didn't even play in the league due to injury which might explain his "indifferent" league form. Every game he played in the championship he was superb. He was either man of the match or very close to it. Early in the Summer he would have been nailed on for an All-Star. Only pity is he only had four games and Galway going out so early means he is never going to get that All-Star but I can't believe anyone would query his nomination.
Giveitlong - As stupid a post as ever I read on this board. First of all they're individual awards so Galway's exit from the championship is not a factor. Joyce carried a malfunctioning team on his back and gave an exhibition of ball winning, distribution, shooting, skill and character.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Jinxy on September 23, 2010, 03:00:03 PM
Bringing a forward back into the half-back line should not qualify him for an All-Star as a half-back.
Was he even picking up an opposition half-forward?

Started centre-half back in both Antrim matches and against Leitrim. Played mostly at left half-back against Derry and seemed to be given more of a free role when we got to Croke Park.

Doyle wore #13 most of the year yet played in the half-forwards and Kavanagh wore #10 and played as part of a two man full-forward line. I'd say they have the positions of the Kildare players spot on.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Giveitlong

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on September 23, 2010, 02:42:04 PM
Quote from: Giveitlong on September 23, 2010, 11:30:47 AM
No disrespect to an outstanding servant of the game, but I am astonished that Padraig Joyce has received an All Star nomination. Losing provincial semi-finalist. Indifferent League form and matches against NY and Sligo, where he obviously did well but nothing worthy of a nomination in my view. I'm afraid it smacks of sentimentality.

You're obviously well informed. PJ didn't even play in the league due to injury which might explain his "indifferent" league form. Every game he played in the championship he was superb. He was either man of the match or very close to it. Early in the Summer he would have been nailed on for an All-Star. Only pity is he only had four games and Galway going out so early means he is never going to get that All-Star but I can't believe anyone would query his nomination.

Apologies Galwaybayboy, I knew Joyce was unavailable for a lot of the League but thought he managed a couple of league appearances. Apologies again.

Championship:

vs New York - I'm afraid that doesn't count as it's a pitch no larger than my back yard, and certainly no All Star was ever handed out for a performance in NY on a pitch barely bigger than a tennis court, where a FF literally does not have to move to receive the ball. And even if PJ scored 1-03 odd from play, I recall Dan Doona of NY was awarded Man of the Match.
And it also helps when you are playing 14 men. A FF will ultimately benefit from the overlap created by the extra man.

And on to the real stuff:

vs Sligo (draw): PJ=3 pts from play, but David Kelly of Sligo awarded Man of the Match
vs Sligo (replay): PJ=2 pts from play, but Mark Breheny of Sligo awarded Man of the Match
vs Wexford (qualifiers): PJ= 4pts from play, but Ciaran Lyng of Wexford awarded man of the Match

3 pts equivalent from play over three games against the likes of Sligo and Wexford is the very least I would expect from my full forward. And in those games, he scored no goals and won not one Man of the Match award.

In my earlier post I put forward some names that I deemed more worthy of nomination based on them playing in more games and against stronger opposition in my view.

My final point is that I am putting forward a neutral point of view as I hail from none of the counties, whereas you are from Galway so you may be approaching this with maroon-tinged spectacles.

mountainboii

Giveitlong has a point. Stevie McDonnell ran up tallies similar to Joyce in an equally underpreforming team, and arguably against better opposition. On top of this McDonnell was also one of the top 2 or 3 forwards in the country during the league.

Giveitlong

You watched a very different championship to me so. All Stars are individual awards, nothing whatsoever got to do with how far a team gets. Had Joyce got one more game in the championship and replicated his outstanding form he'd be close to the All Star team. Now while that would smack of sentimentality a nomination certainly does not. He's there on merit.
[/quote]

Gotcha, so by that reasoning Dan Doona of NY should feel very hard done by

ross4life

Do we really need two threads on the same subject?
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open