2010 All Stars

Started by 5 Sams, August 03, 2010, 04:37:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Please don't presume to tell me why I think he deserves an All Star. Paddy Keenan is one of the best midfielders in the country, and during Louth's run this year he played at that level.

Somebody else said it's a pity this vote is about rewarding decent players on good teams rather than good players on poor teams. I think Paddy Keenan is a very good player on an average team.

Cork would love to have a player like him to partner with Walsh, And to say he wouldn't make the Kerry reserves is a joke. Neither Scanlon, nor Quirke, would be the player he is.

SambaSaffron

McVeigh
Kelly Shields O'Carroll (I'd have Harrison in but doubt he'll get one)
O'Leary McMahon McKernan
Galvin McAuley
Doyle Clarke Hughes
Goulding Brogan Cooper

Aidan Walsh Young Player, Brogan Player.

magpie seanie

I think Paddy Keenan was the best midfielder in the country this season bar none. To suggest he didn't even deserve a nomination is ridiculous.

Goulding will get an allstar.

The two Sligo lads probably deserve ones but doubt they'll get them.

Zapatista

Quote from: MCMLX on September 23, 2010, 12:41:07 PM
Keenans nomination makes a mockery of the system. He is a good player on a poor Louth team, nothing more.

What is the system? They'll have to bring in a new award for sweeper. The All Star awards are never going to be right as the award system doesn't match the system of play.

Other than that it's usually a load of balls anyway.

Dinny Breen

Think the 5 for Kildare is about right, Daryl Flynn would be the obvious omission for Kildare fans but not surprised as his profile isn't particulary high...

From the nominations I'd pick

1. Brendan McVeigh
2. Peter Kelly
3. Justin McMahon (Although I can see gerrymandering in play and  Shields getting the nod)
4. Rory O'Carroll
5. Graham Canty (will be sentimental I think)
6. Kevin McKernan
7. Emmet Bolton   (Although either Noel O'Leary/Paudie Kissane will be selected as this will be more gerrymandering to Cork)
8. Aidan Walsh
9. Paddy Keenan
10. Daniel Hughes
11. Paul Kerrigan
12. Johnny Doyle
13. Bernard Brogan
14. Benny Coulter
15. Donncha O'Connor

4 Cork
4 Down
3 Kildare (Think we'll end up with two)
2 Dublin
1 Tyrone
1 Louth

By the way I don't mind saying this anyway who doesn't realise how good a midfiielder Paddy Keenan is, is just ignorant. One of the top midfielders in Ireland the last 4 years.
#newbridgeornowhere

Donnellys Hollow

I think Éamonn Callaghan will get one for the half-back line after he's been nominated there considering he wore #15 all year. He deserves one more than Emmet Bolton IMO.

1. Quirke (Cork)
2. Kelly (Kildare)
3. Shields (Cork)
4. McMahon (Dublin)
5. Callaghan (Kildare)
6. McKernan (Down)
7. Kissane (Cork)
8. Keenan (Louth)
9. Galvin (Limerick)
10. Hughes (Down)
11. Clarke (Down)
12. Doyle (Kildare)
13. Coulter (Down)
14. Brogan (Dublin)
15. O'Connor or Goulding (Cork)

4 Cork - Don't think they deserve anymore over the year as a whole IMO
4 Down - Should be five but I can see them going for Quirke ahead of McVeigh
3 Kildare - Maybe a bit ambitious but Johnny is a cert and I think the other two lads were superb this year
2 Dublin - Brogan is a shoe in for POTY and McMahon impressed at corner back after the Meath match
1 Louth - Nonsense to suggest Keenan's award would be a sympathetic one, a class act
1 Limerick - Ditto

I think Cooper will miss out but he probably deserves one more this year than he has in previous years. I think it would be a travesty if either Keenan or Galvin missed out on one of the midfield spots - if they give Aidan Walsh the YPOTY they might leave him off the All-Star team and pick the two best midfielders in Ireland this year.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

haranguerer

I dont think Benny Coulter deserves an all star this year. Nor does Kalum King. Paddy Kelly definitely does.

Jinxy

If Callaghan can get one at wing-back then Graham Reilly should get one of the corner back slots.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: Dinny Breen on September 23, 2010, 01:02:17 PM
Think the 5 for Kildare is about right, Daryl Flynn would be the obvious omission for Kildare fans but not surprised as his profile isn't particulary high...

From the nominations I'd pick

1. Brendan McVeigh
2. Peter Kelly
3. Justin McMahon (Although I can see gerrymandering in play and  Shields getting the nod)
4. Rory O'Carroll
5. Graham Canty (will be sentimental I think)
6. Kevin McKernan
7. Emmet Bolton   (Although either Noel O'Leary/Paudie Kissane will be selected as this will be more gerrymandering to Cork)
8. Aidan Walsh
9. Paddy Keenan
10. Daniel Hughes
11. Paul Kerrigan
12. Johnny Doyle
13. Bernard Brogan
14. Benny Coulter
15. Donncha O'Connor

4 Cork
4 Down
3 Kildare (Think we'll end up with two)
2 Dublin
1 Tyrone
1 Louth

By the way I don't mind saying this anyway who doesn't realise how good a midfiielder Paddy Keenan is, is just ignorant. One of the top midfielders in Ireland the last 4 years.

I'd be amazed if Marty Clarke didn't get one.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Jinxy

If you didn't have people creaming themselves over him here and in the media would you really have thought he was that good this year?
I mean, outside of the Kerry game (where he was excellent) I genuinely don't think he was anywhere near as good as everyone else seems to think.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Donnellys Hollow

He played about 80% of his football in the half-backs this year Jinxy. It actually shows that at least some of the selection panel actually watched some football this year.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Hardy

Quote from: MCMLX on September 23, 2010, 12:46:31 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on September 23, 2010, 12:43:20 PM
He's one of the best midfielders in the country.

Down have 3 better midfielders. Cork 3 maybe 4. He wouldnt make the Kerry reserves. I could go on, but you get my drift. It is nothing more than a sympathy vote because of the Leinster final.

Leaving the All-Stars and their impenetrable selection process aside, if I was picking the best team in the country for a competitive match, my midfield would be Paddy Keenan and John Galvin.

DuffleKing

haze

Cant remember a harder year to pick all stars- torn between picking my favourite team and forcing a few Cork players on to it. Only Shields on the Cork team would be an automatic choice for me, with Goulding next in the list. After that any other Cork all stars will be lucky calls based on ensuring they get a fair representation.

Alan Quirke wrongly could take all star off McVeigh and John Doyle could miss out for Paddy Kelly. Both would be totally unjustified. Paddy Kelly in my opinion had a solid year but was overall quite in the semi final and final. I know he is probably nailed on, but if he gets in Clarke should miss out not John Doyle.

McVeigh
Kelly                                                            Shields                                            McMahon
Kissane (though hope Canty gets it)                 McKernan                                        Jordan
                              Galvin                                            Keenan
Doyle                                                             Clarke                                                Hughes
Goulding                                                         Brogan                                              Cooper (just ahead of Kavanagh)

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Giveitlong on September 23, 2010, 11:30:47 AM
No disrespect to an outstanding servant of the game, but I am astonished that Padraig Joyce has received an All Star nomination. Losing provincial semi-finalist. Indifferent League form and matches against NY and Sligo, where he obviously did well but nothing worthy of a nomination in my view. I'm afraid it smacks of sentimentality.

You're obviously well informed. PJ didn't even play in the league due to injury which might explain his "indifferent" league form. Every game he played in the championship he was superb. He was either man of the match or very close to it. Early in the Summer he would have been nailed on for an All-Star. Only pity is he only had four games and Galway going out so early means he is never going to get that All-Star but I can't believe anyone would query his nomination.