2010 All Stars

Started by 5 Sams, August 03, 2010, 04:37:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ross4life

I'll be surprised if any Connacht man gets a All star this year but at least they got recognized unlike the Sunday game panel
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: passedit on September 16, 2010, 09:55:56 AM
Quote from: AFS on September 16, 2010, 12:22:35 AM
Quote from: INDIANA on September 16, 2010, 12:14:04 AM
As I said the Nordies are just jealous because they no longer have a player remotely in his class as a strike forward.

Fact.

What's a strike forward?

In fairness, it seems like the Downers are the only ones that have a problem with Brogan.

I have no problem with Brogan, I think he's a fine player and hopefully will get even better. This does not however, take from the fact that he dropped a bollock in the semi final. If Cluxton had made outstanding saves all year and then dropped a soft one in with 10 to go in the semi final would anyone be calling for him to get POTY? Cos that's the equivalent of what Brogan did. Does anybody think Ray Cosgrove should have got it in 2002?

How would you rate Benny Coulters performance on Sunday Passedit ?

ross matt

Delighted for Donie and Cregg. Cregg had a fine connacht semi scoring 2 great points and a brilliant final. He had a massive hard working AI semi before he ran out of steam and was substituted. Claffey the keeper unlucky not to get a nomination. Very authoritive with some fine saves and clever kick outs all season.

The omission of Sligo's Alan Costelloe is quite simply a disgrace. How could he be deemed not worthy of even a nomination. Apart from the Connacht final which he single handedly nearly won for Sligo he had a brilliant drawn match v Galway in the semi and before that he was the driving force when they took out Mayo. The main hallmark of his season was spectacular long distance shooting.... a welcome but rarely seen answer to massed defences.

Its pretty obvious there was little research put in to these nominations and little respect for Connacht football. Hope Joyce nails a 4th one but going on this I doubt it.

Dinny Breen

Think the 5 for Kildare is about right, Daryl Flynn would be the obvious omission for Kildare fans but not surprised as his profile isn't particulary high...

From the nominations I'd pick

1. Brendan McVeigh
2. Peter Kelly
3. Justin McMahon (Although I can see gerrymandering in play and  Shields getting the nod)
4. Rory O'Carroll
5. Graham Canty (will be sentimental I think)
6. Kevin McKernan
7. Emmet Bolton   (Although either Noel O'Leary/Paudie Kissane will be selected as this will be more gerrymandering to Cork)
8. Aidan Walsh
9. Paddy Keenan
10. Daniel Hughes
11. Paul Kerrigan
12. Johnny Doyle
13. Bernard Brogan
14. Benny Coulter
15. Donncha O'Connor

4 Cork
4 Down
3 Kildare (Think we'll end up with two)
2 Dublin
1 Tyrone
1 Louth
#newbridgeornowhere

Leo

Quote from: Dinny Breen on September 23, 2010, 09:11:35 AM
Think the 5 for Kildare is about right, Daryl Flynn would be the obvious omission for Kildare fans but not surprised as his profile isn't particulary high...

1. Brendan McVeigh
2. Peter Kelly
3. Justin McMahon (Although I can see gerrymandering in play and  Shields getting the nod)
4. Rory O'Carroll
6. Kevin McKernan
7. Emmet Bolton   (Although either Noel O'Leary/Paudie Kissane will be selected as this will be more gerrymandering to Cork)
8. Aidan Walsh
9. Paddy Keenan
10. Daniel Hughes
11. Paul Kerrigan
12. Johnny Doyle
13. Bernard Brogan
14. Benny Coulter
15. Donncha O'Connor

4 Cork
4 Down
2 Dublin
1 Tyrone
1 Louth

Cant see McKernan getting one and Marty Clarke will be ahead of Kerrigan. Galvin of Limerick might get one of the midfield slots.
Fierce tame altogether

mountainboii

Quote from: Leo on September 23, 2010, 09:23:38 AM
Cant see McKernan getting one and Marty Clarke will be ahead of Kerrigan. Galvin of Limerick might get one of the midfield slots.

Why not? I think he's a certainty.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Leo on September 23, 2010, 09:23:38 AM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on September 23, 2010, 09:11:35 AM

1. Brendan McVeigh
2. Peter Kelly
4. Rory O'Carroll
6. Kevin McKernan
8. Aidan Walsh
9. Paddy Keenan
10. Daniel Hughes
11. Paul Kerrigan
12. Johnny Doyle
13. Bernard Brogan
14. Benny Coulter
15. Donncha O'Connor

4 Cork
4 Down
2 Dublin
1 Tyrone
1 Louth

maybe a bit of tyrone bias, but surely jordan has to get one?
was the best half back this year by a country mile.
never gave marty clarke, who is being touted by some as POTY , a kick of it in the down game and was excellent all year.
although i think justy  is the best full back in the country, i'd say jordan is more deserving of a place this year on performances.(tyrone wont get 2 and may well get none)
michael shields had a good final which might see him get in.
thought ross o'carroll was excellent all year at FB though
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

passedit

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on September 23, 2010, 05:19:25 AM
Quote from: passedit on September 16, 2010, 09:55:56 AM
Quote from: AFS on September 16, 2010, 12:22:35 AM
Quote from: INDIANA on September 16, 2010, 12:14:04 AM
As I said the Nordies are just jealous because they no longer have a player remotely in his class as a strike forward.

Fact.

What's a strike forward?

In fairness, it seems like the Downers are the only ones that have a problem with Brogan.

I have no problem with Brogan, I think he's a fine player and hopefully will get even better. This does not however, take from the fact that he dropped a bollock in the semi final. If Cluxton had made outstanding saves all year and then dropped a soft one in with 10 to go in the semi final would anyone be calling for him to get POTY? Cos that's the equivalent of what Brogan did. Does anybody think Ray Cosgrove should have got it in 2002?

How would you rate Benny Coulters performance on Sunday Passedit ?

Considering they scored 15 points on the back of a well beaten midfield, I can have no complaints about any of the forwards who started on sunday for Down. If you're implying that he blew his chance of player of the year, I don't think he was ever in the running for it. Brogan will now win it by default, however considering the Cork buck got MOM on sunday for kickin frees, he might get it for kickin frees all year.
Don't Panic

DuffleKing

When did McKernan actually start getting his place on the down team? was it the all ireland quarter final?

mountainboii

Quote from: DuffleKing on September 23, 2010, 09:41:07 AM

When did McKernan actually start getting his place on the down team? was it the all ireland quarter final?

He started against Sligo and Longford before that.

Edit: And Donegal and Tyrone. The Downers might correct me here, but as far as I can see the only game he didn't start for them this year was the Offaly one.

bcarrier

Quote9. Paddy Keenan
10. Daniel Hughes
11. Paul Kerrigan
12. Johnny Doyle
13. Bernard Brogan
14. Benny Coulter
15. Donncha O'Connor

If Martin Clarke gets young player of the year then id go with your 9-15 Dinny ...I'd give one to Galvin in midfield but think Walsh might get it .

The back line is hard enough to call though I do think McVeigh and  McKernan should make it.

DuffleKing

Quote from: AFS on September 23, 2010, 09:48:40 AM
Quote from: DuffleKing on September 23, 2010, 09:41:07 AM

He started against Sligo and Longford before that.

Edit: And Donegal and Tyrone. The Downers might correct me here, but as far as I can see the only game he didn't start for them this year was the Offaly one.

Maybe against Sligo, but not sure about longford?

mountainboii

Going by this, he did. They didn't manage to get his name right, though.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/championship/2010/0710/down_longford.html

imtommygunn

It was only about the Longford game he started at CHB.

He may have started before but not at 6. Seemed to be at 6 where he made the impact.

Lecale2

11 from Cork including Nicholas Murphy. 7 from Down, 5 from Kildare, 4 each for Dubs and Tyrone. Surprised at Murphy being nominated.