Maiden1

Quote from: INDIANA on September 15, 2010, 10:46:38 PM
Quote from: passedit on September 14, 2010, 12:31:10 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on September 14, 2010, 12:23:15 PM
Quote from: passedit on September 14, 2010, 12:18:33 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on September 13, 2010, 11:51:21 PM
And us.
But hey, he's only human.

So who actually did he play well against? remember that he shit in the nest last 15 agin Cork as well.

No he didn't.
He destroyed several different markers in the Armagh, Tyrone & Cork games.
It's laughable that anyone would even suggest Clarke deserves POTY ahead of him.

I suggest you watch the last 15 mins of that game again. Two horrible wides and two schoolboy wrong options cost Dublin the game. For the record I think Clarke needs a big game in the final to swing it as he didn't exactly cover himself in glory in the last few minutes against Kildare either but to give player of the year to someone who not only didn't make the final but actually cost his team their place there is 'laughable'.

Can I have some of the drugs please?
The single best footballer in Ireland at present is Bernard Brogan.

The next time you score 1-7 from play in an All-Ireland Semi Final come back and talk to us. Until then stop making an eejit of yourself nit-picking. I saw Matt Connor score 2-9 in 1981 against kerry. The single best display i've ever seen. They lost by 4 points. Matt kicked 3 wides. I suppose
Matt should take the blame for that defeat as well. Mystery solved.

Dublin didn't win the All-Ireland this year becasue Bernard didn't play well enough. Its been a month since the game and I hadn't figured out why we lost. Thanks for that. We now have our scapegoat. I expect the Herald will do the rest.

Not a scapegoat but he made mistakes which contributed to why Dublin lost.  Not passing to a team mate in a much better position, taking a point when time was up and they needed a goal, going for speculative shots instead of keeping possession and trying to get a better chance when 3 or 4 up.  Cork will be dangerous in the final but Dublin should have had them out of sight before the final whistle.  I hate all the crap you get from the Dubs about them exceeding expectations, this time next year (as Del Boy would say) .... this time next year Tyrone will be back, Kerry could well find a few new players, Kildare will have a point to prove, Down might even not be 1 season wonders.  They will be kicking themselves when they watch the semi final again, Brogan might take a few different options if in the same position again.
There are no proofs, only opinions.

INDIANA

Quote from: Maiden1 on September 15, 2010, 11:17:35 PM
And us.

So who actually did he play well against? remember that he shit in the nest last 15 agin Cork as well.

No he didn't.
It's laughable that anyone would even suggest Clarke deserves POTY ahead of him.

I suggest you watch the last 15 mins of that game again. Two horrible wides and two schoolboy wrong options cost Dublin the game. For the record I think Clarke needs a big game in the final to swing it as he didn't exactly cover himself in glory in the last few minutes against Kildare either but to give player of the year to someone who not only didn't make the final but actually cost his team their place there is 'laughable'.

The next time you score 1-7 from play in an All-Ireland Semi Final come back and talk to us. Until then stop making an eejit of yourself nit-picking. I saw Matt Connor score 2-9 in 1981 against kerry. The single best display i've ever seen. They lost by 4 points. Matt kicked 3 wides. I suppose

Dublin didn't win the All-Ireland this year becasue Bernard didn't play well enough. Its been a month since the game and I hadn't figured out why we lost. Thanks for that. We now have our scapegoat. I expect the Herald will do the rest.

Not a scapegoat but he made mistakes which contributed to why Dublin lost.  Not passing to a team mate in a much better position, taking a point when time was up and they needed a goal, going for speculative shots instead of keeping possession and trying to get a better chance when 3 or 4 up.  Cork will be dangerous in the final but Dublin should have had them out of sight before the final whistle.  I hate all the crap you get from the Dubs about them exceeding expectations, this time next year (as Del Boy would say) .... this time next year Tyrone will be back, Kerry could well find a few new players, Kildare will have a point to prove, Down might even not be 1 season wonders.  They will be kicking themselves when they watch the semi final again, Brogan might take a few different options if in the same position again.

As I said the Nordies are just jealous because they no longer have a player remotely in his class as a strike forward.

Fact.

mountainboii

Quote from: INDIANA on September 16, 2010, 12:14:04 AM
As I said the Nordies are just jealous because they no longer have a player remotely in his class as a strike forward.

Fact.

What's a strike forward?

In fairness, it seems like the Downers are the only ones that have a problem with Brogan.

Maiden1

Quote from: Maiden1 on September 15, 2010, 11:17:35 PM
And us.

No he didn't.

Fact.

The Dubs are just jealous they are not in the AI final.  Fact.

Brogan possibly deserves his POTY.  If Marty Clarke gets MOTM in the final like he did in the quarter final and semi final and Down win then Brogan can have his POTY.  We will try not to get too jealous.

passedit

Quote from: AFS on September 16, 2010, 12:22:35 AM

Fact.

What's a strike forward?

In fairness, it seems like the Downers are the only ones that have a problem with Brogan.

I have no problem with Brogan, I think he's a fine player and hopefully will get even better. This does not however, take from the fact that he dropped a bollock in the semi final. If Cluxton had made outstanding saves all year and then dropped a soft one in with 10 to go in the semi final would anyone be calling for him to get POTY? Cos that's the equivalent of what Brogan did. Does anybody think Ray Cosgrove should have got it in 2002?
Don't Panic

Jinxy

Are you saying that Cosgrove bottled it in 2002?
He hit the post with a free FFS.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Maiden1

Quote from: Jinxy on September 16, 2010, 11:02:54 AM

He hit the post with a free from about the 21 yard line from just left of the posts.  He would never normally miss such an easy free.  Of course he bottled it.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/cosgrove-wants-dubs-to-erase-memory-of-missed-free-in-2002-loss-to-armagh-2262641.html

Ah, that free. As a joking aside, you tell him that nobody remembers the 20-yard gimme he missed against Kildare in the Leinster final. Of course they don't. Nor the six other points he scored as Dublin and Armagh jostled to the limit.

When Kieran McGeeney fouled him, Cosgrove snatched the ball from Darren Homan. Dublin were a point down. "Let me have it," he said. From that moment, every other positive thought evacuated his body. The next sight he saw was white ball caroming off white post.

"I was a little bit too cautious," he recalls. "I was kicking well that day. I erred on the side of caution. Instead of kicking through, I just put too much curl on it, I was a little bit too much side-on compared to the others. Them's the breaks, as the fellah says."

Jinxy

Unless my memory is playing tricks that free was a lot further out than the 21 yard line.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

mountainboii

Quote from: Maiden1 on September 16, 2010, 11:33:01 AM
Quote from: Jinxy on September 16, 2010, 11:02:54 AM

He hit the post with a free from about the 21 yard line from just left of the posts.  He would never normally miss such an easy free.  Of course he bottled it.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/cosgrove-wants-dubs-to-erase-memory-of-missed-free-in-2002-loss-to-armagh-2262641.html

Ah, that free. As a joking aside, you tell him that nobody remembers the 20-yard gimme he missed against Kildare in the Leinster final. Of course they don't. Nor the six other points he scored as Dublin and Armagh jostled to the limit.

When Kieran McGeeney fouled him, Cosgrove snatched the ball from Darren Homan. Dublin were a point down. "Let me have it," he said. From that moment, every other positive thought evacuated his body. The next sight he saw was white ball caroming off white post.

"I was a little bit too cautious," he recalls. "I was kicking well that day. I erred on the side of caution. Instead of kicking through, I just put too much curl on it, I was a little bit too much side-on compared to the others. Them's the breaks, as the fellah says."

Pretty sure that's not right.

And he was a good 30 yards out at least.

Maiden1

Quote from: Jinxy on September 16, 2010, 11:36:27 AM
Unless my memory is playing tricks that free was a lot further out than the 21 yard line.

Can't find any pictures of the free but I was exaggerating a bit, I thought it was between 25 and 30 yards out.  It was still an easy free by his standards.

blanketattack

It was about 4 yards from the 21 and 10 yards to the left of the posts making it 28 yards out as the crow flies.
I notcied some Armagh player came to within about 4 yards of Cosgrave while the ball was being kicked with 2 others in close proximity, no doubt a few verbals were thrown in as well.

INDIANA

Quote from: AFS on September 16, 2010, 12:22:35 AM

Fact.

What's a strike forward?

Strike forwards

Gooch
Berno
Mc Donnell
O Neill when fit
Mick Meehan
Coulter
etc

The players who are judged in terms of scores per chances. Most of the best teams have one. A team that doesn't have one rarely wins major honours.

imtommygunn

A player who puts the fear of god in the opposition when he gets the ball.

When they get the ball there's probably a 90 odd % chance something will come off it.

Bernard Brogan best example of it this year...

Wee Shea

Quote from: imtommygunn on September 16, 2010, 08:57:33 PM
A player who puts the fear of god in the opposition when he gets the ball.

When they get the ball there's probably a 90 odd % chance something will come off it.

Bernard Brogan best example of it this year...

So you are saying a forward has to win it?

imtommygunn

Didn't say that. Just adding to Indiana's definition of a "strike" forward. I'd just use the word class mind.

Last year someone like Canty would have been candidate for player of year. I don't think any defenders have been stand out enough this year.

Canty, Tomas / Marc O'Se and a few boys like that have been stand out enough from defense to get POTY. Midfield, since Dara O'Se, hasn't really had anyone outstanding enough to win POTY either.

It's probably harder for defenders to win it now given defense is more a team effort than one on one. Attacking defenders would be the ones who stand out.

Mind you if Tyrone had stayed in potentially the McMahons could have been in for it - well more Joe as I thought he dictated games at times.