2010 All Stars

Started by 5 Sams, August 03, 2010, 04:37:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GBXII

Yeah that's the thing, O'Gara has a lot of positives but contributes very little direstly to the scoreboard, especially today. Brogan knew O'Gara wasn't shooting well and took the shot on himself, understandable in fairness even if he probably should have passed in hindsight.

passedit

Quote from: GBXII on August 22, 2010, 08:28:16 PM
Yeah that's the thing, O'Gara has a lot of positives but contributes very little direstly to the scoreboard, especially today. Brogan knew O'Gara wasn't shooting well and took the shot on himself, understandable in fairness even if he probably should have passed in hindsight.

That was one of three chances he had in the last 15 mins to put Cork away and he didn't take any of them. Truly great players don't do that. I've no doubt he'll win POTY but he had a great chance to win an AI for an average team and didn't take it. Any other award will be of scant consolation to him. 
Don't Panic

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Zulu on August 22, 2010, 08:20:13 PM
I agree, Bernard Brogan should get POTY and I reckon he will. I don't think any Cork player has been consistently outstanding this year and I can't think of anyone from Down or Kildare that fits the bill either though lads who have seen more of those teams might disagree.

BB was poor enough against Meath and his first half performance against Wexford was awful but in the qualifiers and the last two he has been outstanding.

Daryl Flynn has been Kildare's most consistent player in the championship, definitely our player of the year but I still reckon if Doyle, Kavanagh, Coulter or Clarke put in two back to back performances they'll win it.
#newbridgeornowhere

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Dinny Breen on August 22, 2010, 08:51:53 PM
Daryl Flynn has been Kildare's most consistent player in the championship, definitely our player of the year but I still reckon if Doyle, Kavanagh, Coulter or Clarke put in two back to back performances they'll win it.

There's a sentence I never thought I'd hear uttered!  :D
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Dinny Breen

#newbridgeornowhere

Donnellys Hollow

No, I just never thought Flynn would make up into the player that his underage potential suggested he could be. Always thought he was a loose cannon who would cost us - Wasn't it Wexford in the league last year when we hammering them and he lost the head completely for no reason.

He's the most improved footballer in Kildare by a country mile. I take my hat off to the guy.

Dinny Breen

I see, the turning point I reckon was against Tipp in the league when he got an awful box in the head, it was the first time I never saw him react instead he played on and the linesman reported the punch and the Tipp lad was sent off..
#newbridgeornowhere

Donnellys Hollow

I recall that alright. Didn't he shake the hand of the Tipp lad as he was going off as well?

Dinny Breen

And not in a smart ass way either, jaysus I hope he plays well next week after this hype
#newbridgeornowhere

Dinny Breen

Johnny Doyle will finish the championship as top scorer and cemented his All-Star, O'Callaghan was very good today and added to his player of the month award for July might squeeze one, Kavanagh I think will lose out, can't see any other Kildare ones..
#newbridgeornowhere

5 Sams

Quote from: AFS on August 22, 2010, 06:17:22 PM
Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on August 22, 2010, 05:23:36 PM
B Brogan probably will get player of the year to go with his all-star

Hard to see it. In the 15 years of the award, a non-finalist has never won Footballer of the Year.

Brogan's a cert for player of the year...I cant see who else would deserve it..

I think Kevin McKernan put the lid on his today and Marty Clarke is our other stonewall All Star...a close second to Brogan for Player of the Year.
The Aristocrat Years

ross4life

Johnny Doyle 1-49 deserves a mention but hard to see past Brogan for Footballer of the Year
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

5 Sams

Quote from: ross4life on August 30, 2010, 03:29:40 AM
Johnny Doyle 1-49 deserves a mention but hard to see past Brogan for Footballer of the Year

Its goes without saying that Doyle will get an All Star....a wee wobble at q final stage (I think) when he couldnt hit a bull in the arse with a banjo...apart from that he's the 4th best forward in Ireland ;) ;) ;) ;)
The Aristocrat Years

nrico2006

Quote from: 5 Sams on August 30, 2010, 03:39:36 AM
Quote from: ross4life on August 30, 2010, 03:29:40 AM

Its goes without saying that Doyle will get an All Star....a wee wobble at q final stage (I think) when he couldnt hit a bull in the arse with a banjo...apart from that he's the 4th best forward in Ireland ;) ;) ;) ;)

Who are the top three?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

imtommygunn

Johnny Doyle has missed some chances this year too so amazing he's been top scorer. I would say the man has hit 30+ wides this year. Shows some character to just put the head down and keep scoring away.