2010 All Stars

Started by 5 Sams, August 03, 2010, 04:37:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the Deel Rover

Quote from: INDIANA on August 07, 2010, 01:10:50 PM
Quote from: rrhf on August 07, 2010, 12:46:54 PM
I feel Tyrone performances have been conssitently of a higher standard than any other county in Ireland to date, and they are out.  To me I have yet to see better goalkeeping than Mc Connell this year and better no 7 play than Philip Jordan.  Now that might change from here on in.  The 2 mc Mahon brothers, Penrose and Mulligan would all be at this stage in line for nominations but as I said that might change as we progress.   

I'd hardly call last Saturday a consistently high level of performance. Last Saturday put most of who you have mentioned comfortably out of contention.

i thought Mulligan was excellent last week Indiana the only mistake he probably made was looking for o'neill for the goal chance instead of knocking it over himself , thought he was the best forward on view
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

INDIANA

Quote from: the Deel Rover on August 07, 2010, 01:37:15 PM
I feel Tyrone performances have been conssitently of a higher standard than any other county in Ireland to date, and they are out.  To me I have yet to see better goalkeeping than Mc Connell this year and better no 7 play than Philip Jordan.  Now that might change from here on in.  The 2 mc Mahon brothers, Penrose and Mulligan would all be at this stage in line for nominations but as I said that might change as we progress.   

I'd hardly call last Saturday a consistently high level of performance. Last Saturday put most of who you have mentioned comfortably out of contention.

i thought Mulligan was excellent last week Indiana the only mistake he probably made was looking for o'neill for the goal chance instead of knocking it over himself , thought he was the best forward on view

He roasted us Deel. And the fact that Tyrone persisted with the short passing instead of lumping it in long to Mulligan early cost them the match. But bar him none of the others were especially good.
For Dublin only B Brogan is nailed on. If O Carroll has a good semi he will get the 3 shirt as there are precious few alternatives. But other then that we'd have to get to the final to get a few more.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: INDIANA on August 07, 2010, 01:43:17 PM

He roasted us Deel. And the fact that Tyrone persisted with the short passing instead of lumping it in long to Mulligan early cost them the match. But bar him none of the others were especially good.
For Dublin only B Brogan is nailed on. If O Carroll has a good semi he will get the 3 shirt as there are precious few alternatives. But other then that we'd have to get to the final to get a few more.

yeah he was a bit too cute for fitzsimons  did ye leave him marking Mulligan all day ?
Crossmolina Deel Rovers

INDIANA

Quote from: the Deel Rover on August 07, 2010, 01:50:10 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on August 07, 2010, 01:43:17 PM

yeah he was a bit too cute for fitzsimons  did ye leave him marking Mulligan all day ?

yep with a yellow card as well. Russian Roulette. But we got away with it.

the Deel Rover

having said that i like fitzsimons as a corner back for some reason he reminds me of the late great mick holden 
Crossmolina Deel Rovers

ross4life

Quote from: INDIANA on August 07, 2010, 12:32:27 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on August 06, 2010, 09:15:46 PM
Quote from: ross4life on August 05, 2010, 10:16:50 PM
Cluxton reminds me of Shay Given good keeper great shot stopper

I don't think the Meath forward line would agree with that

which goal exactly was he at fault for? My granny would have scored 4 of them.
He was let down due to an appaliing defensive performance.

Agreed but your gran must be some player, how many of those defenders will be playing v Cork?
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Eire2010

IMO both Roscomman and Louth deseverve all stars in the form of Keenan and either Donie shine or Clafferty (sorry if its not spelt properly) but he has been in top form for the Rossies this year and in my eyes their best player. However their are alot of Good goal keepers left in McVeigh and Cluxon. Paddy Keenan deseves an all star for Louths exploits. Should i dare say they won their first ever Leinster championchip, as some people are saying Louth are the unoffical winners :D bvut they deserve it.

Brogan is guarenteed, can't see Kerry getting any? however Dublin are guarenteed at least 4 now anyway.

Alot of talk is about the forwards on the all star team, anybody have any defenders in mind?

dodgy umpire

From a Down point of view defensively Rafferty has to be a cert. Mc Kernan is in with a good shout and Garvey should gain a nomination. A lot will depend on how we progress but if Gordon can keep going the way he is he should get the full back award.
Shame that Rodgers is most likely out for the semi but hopefully he will have the opportunity to show his class in the Final and receive a well deserved All Star for midfield. Suprised by the lack of talk about him here by posters (apart from one or two who also must have been watching him all year)
The Boys in Red and Black are back

All of a Sludden

Quote from: Eire2010 on August 17, 2010, 04:45:32 PM
IMO both Roscomman and Louth deseverve all stars in the form of Keenan and either Donie shine or Clafferty

I think both Shine and Claffey should be in the running for awards, hopefully PK will get one even if it is something of a sympathy vote. Of the 4 keepers that are left none are really outstanding. McVeigh had a very good game against Kerry, normal service may return in the semi. Cluxton conceeded 5 against Meath and neither the Cork or Kildare keepers have been overly impressive. The winning keeper in September will probably get the award if Claffey doesnt.
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

Eire2010

McKernan and Garvey must be in the running for nominations, Garvey has been excellent in every game this year apart from the second half vs Tyrone

Leo

Quote from: dodgy umpire on August 18, 2010, 02:32:13 AM
From a Down point of view defensively Rafferty has to be a cert. Mc Kernan is in with a good shout and Garvey should gain a nomination. A lot will depend on how we progress but if Gordon can keep going the way he is he should get the full back award.
Shame that Rodgers is most likely out for the semi but hopefully he will have the opportunity to show his class in the Final and receive a well deserved All Star for midfield. Suprised by the lack of talk about him here by posters (apart from one or two who also must have been watching him all year)

Rafferty yes.
McKernan played most of the year like a headless chicken and only has one good game (v Kerry) to his  name. Garvey? I still wonder how he gets away with it.
Gordon has done well at full back in TWO games - does that make him an All-Star? hmmmmm....
Ambrose has spent  more of the year injured than playing although when he has performed he has been the main man.
No, Down might even sneak a Sam but we don't have a lot of All-Star material this year.

Just wonder how many posters would have said at the start of the year that our most consistent and important player would be one who has NO CHANCE of an All-Star? .....

Kalum King.
Fierce tame altogether

dodgy umpire

Quote from: Leo on August 18, 2010, 10:39:28 PM
Quote from: dodgy umpire on August 18, 2010, 02:32:13 AM

Rafferty yes.
McKernan played most of the year like a headless chicken and only has one good game (v Kerry) to his  name. Garvey? I still wonder how he gets away with it.
Gordon has done well at full back in TWO games - does that make him an All-Star? hmmmmm....
Ambrose has spent  more of the year injured than playing although when he has performed he has been the main man.
No, Down might even sneak a Sam but we don't have a lot of All-Star material this year.

Just wonder how many posters would have said at the start of the year that our most consistent and important player would be one who has NO CHANCE of an All-Star? .....

Kalum King.
McKernan was a strong contender for MOM against Sligo and has improved with each game this year. As regards Ambrose if he is fit for the final should we be in it, he will get an All Star provided he performs like we know he can. I am a big fan of Garvey and his tenacious style of play, every team needs a player like him. Kalum is a great, fearless, hard working player who gets stuck in and is very effective at disrupting the oppositions play and deserves a nomination IMO, and while he has been very consistent I would disagree that he is our most important player.
The Boys in Red and Black are back

DuffleKing

Was McKernan not dropped for the longford or offaly games?

omagh_gael

Quote from: DuffleKing on August 19, 2010, 10:28:50 AM

Was McKernan not dropped for the longford or offaly games?

Was that not Mc Colgan?

paddypastit

Couple of points. On what Roscommon deserve? Park the sentiment. Roscommon is a Div 4 team that played like that for all bar one game. Deserving and all as their win was there, it was a tactical victory by the team against a team in paralysis. 3 points from play with silver salver service against a non existent defence and 7 place kicks out of 13 attempts does not make an All Star out of Shine. Gine player yes, nomination yes but is he better and did he do more this year (up to now, and never mind what might be to come) than Martin Clarke, John Doyle, Bernard Brogan, David Kelly, Colm Cooper, Ciaran Sheehan, Eoin Mulligan... and some of those boys have NO chance of an All Star this year

Equally on goalkeeping, Claffey did make a game shaping save in thge Commacht final and played well against Cork but this is the first year in many that there is actual competition for the goalkeeping slot.  Of the three teams remaining McVeigh, Cluxton and Quirke have all done particularly well and again by Sept 17 the deeds of July wil be long forgotten.
come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word