Electric Picnic

Started by liihb, August 03, 2010, 03:55:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maguire01

Quote from: Louth Exile on August 06, 2010, 07:25:47 PM
I'm going to be shot down for this (I know beforehand) and I'm the ripe old age of 34, but I think Oxegen is better organised and stronger line ups for the last two years!! EP is overhyped.

Depends what you're looking for I suppose. 'Stronger' line-up is quite objective - if you're looking for big selling chart toppers, it's Oxegen all the way, but EP is deliberately positioning itself as an alternative. Some of this year's EP acts will be at Oxegen in a few years, once they get 'big'. EP might not have the big name headliners, but I think this year's line-up is quality.

Maguire01

Quote from: Take Your Points on August 06, 2010, 11:56:29 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on August 06, 2010, 08:06:52 PM
this year's EP acts will be at Oxegen in a few years, once they get 'big'. EP might not have the big name headliners, but I think this year's line-up is quality.
Hopefully some of these guys will soon hit the big time and become well known to the public!
      MASSIVE ATTACK
      ROXY MUSIC
      PUBLIC IMAGE LTD
      GIL SCOTT HERON
      EELS
      SEASICK STEVE
      PAUL BRADY
      STEVE EARLE
      THE WATERBOYS
I'm thinking more along the lines of Janelle Monae. Similar to the way Oxegen wouldn't have been interested in Arcade Fire when they played Electric Picnic.

Also, those names you quote only support my point that EP positions itself as an alternative to Oxegen.

Louth Exile

I'm going to be shot down for this (I know beforehand) and I'm the ripe old age of 34, but I think Oxegen is better organised and stronger line ups for the last two years!! EP is overhyped.

Depends what you're looking for I suppose. 'Stronger' line-up is quite objective - if you're looking for big selling chart toppers, it's Oxegen all the way, but EP is deliberately positioning itself as an alternative. Some of this year's EP acts will be at Oxegen in a few years, once they get 'big'. EP might not have the big name headliners, but I think this year's line-up is quality.

I don't know if you are trying to be, but sounds wildly condesending! You are right acts like two door cinema club, cathy davey, the drums and hot chip are all such massive names (just some of the bands I saw at Oxegen this year). There is a snobbery about EP that I don't like. Quality music is quality music, it sounds like you wouldn't go to see Arcade Fire now just because they are "Big".
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

INDIANA

Still, if I could afford to stay in a podpad I think I might have a different attitude to it.  :D

I went to both last year and thougt the organisation of Oxegen was way better!!

Still, would absolutely love to see the Frames gig in Stradbally this year, it promises to be epic. Would also like to see Mumford and Sons and Fight Like Apes.

For anyone looking to watch the hurling final there is a top notch GAA pub in the village, down near the far end on the left, can't remember the name of course! It has a small car park just before you come to it. Get in early and get a good spot in the Bar and you'll be sorted for some quality stout before head for music.  :)

The lneup for EP is terrible even for someone of my age. Nothing there of interest. I don't know why they don't make Oxygen a bit more like Glastonbury and try and organise a better mix of the ages and scrub EP. I know severals well into their 30's who still do a day down at Oxygen if there are 3/4 acts that they like.

Maguire01

Quote from: Louth Exile on August 07, 2010, 10:30:17 AM

I don't know if you are trying to be, but sounds wildly condesending! You are right acts like two door cinema club, cathy davey, the drums and hot chip are all such massive names (just some of the bands I saw at Oxegen this year). There is a snobbery about EP that I don't like. Quality music is quality music, it sounds like you wouldn't go to see Arcade Fire now just because they are "Big".
Condescending? How?
Two Door Cinema Club, Cathy Davey and Hot Chip are also playing Electric Picnic, so that's not what makes Oxegen stronger - I was talking about the headliners, where there's the most notable difference.

I agree - quality music is quality music - and I really like TDCC and Cathy Davey for example, but I much prefer the whole EP experience. I also enjoy a lot of the other non-music stuff that goes on around the site that you don't get at Oxegen.

And for the record, I wouldn't mind seeing Arcade Fire - if they're playing good music, I don't care what size they are.

Maguire01

Quote from: INDIANA on August 07, 2010, 10:38:12 AM
The lneup for EP is terrible even for someone of my age. Nothing there of interest. I don't know why they don't make Oxygen a bit more like Glastonbury and try and organise a better mix of the ages and scrub EP. I know severals well into their 30's who still do a day down at Oxygen if there are 3/4 acts that they like.
Terrible for someone of your personal taste then, surely not someone of your age. If that was the case, there'd be no one at EP.

I don't see why anyone would want to change the format of either festival or merge them - least of all the people who promote them. The fact that both are successful in their own right means they're both doing a good job of catering to their audiences. Those people you know in their 30s for example, must be happy enough to do a day at Oxegen, so EP mightn't necessarily be for them. I don't see therefore, why you'd want to change either.

give her dixie

Heading down later today, and going by the forecast, the weather looks like it will be sunny all weekend.....

Anyone else going?
next stop, September 10, for number 4......

downredblack

Bionic Rats are playing Saturday , check them out , You'll have a good dance to them boys .

laceer

Quote from: downredblack on September 03, 2010, 12:30:38 PM
Bionic Rats are playing Saturday , check them out , You'll have a good dance to them boys .

what sort of music do they play?

few mates are heading - gutted i'm not going myself

downredblack

SKA / Reggae

Present Arms also playing Saturday . Same as above .

Massey-135

I was there this year for the first time, thought it was unreal. There's no point saying oxegen has a better line-up, you could go to Electric Picnic and not see a single band and still have a deadly time. The Mindfield Arena, the food, the comedy tent and the body and soul area makes it a lot more varied. Oxegen has a great line up but far too many spides there to ruin it.

Give her dixie - that was me shouted over to you when you were dandering about with George Galloway on saturday! was half cut at that stage

Lawrence of Knockbride

I've been to all but the first one and they've all been class. I'm in a state of depression after it though as usual. Can't wait til next year.

liihb

Well, have to say I enjoyed my first one something serious, was great craic, the atmosphere is fantastic, no scumbags, and the music was great. Just a pity the weather acted the mickey on Sunday night.....saw your one Michelle Doherty there too, what a woman.
Every time you open your mouth you have this wonderful ability to continually confirm what I think.

give her dixie

Had an amazing weekend myself. It is hard to beat "Body And Soul". I could stay there all weekend!
Donal Dineen and guests on Friday night was my highlight. Deadly music.

Had George with me on Saturday and he did an event on Saturday evening in the minefield area.
Rachel Marsden the fromer Fox presenter was also on the panel along with Eamon Mc Cann.
Needless to say that whenever she opened her mouth with the Fox shite, she was well and truely
put in her place by not only the panel, but by the audience!

The Frames as usual were fantastic, and it was great to see them together for the 1st time in nearly 2 years.

Sunday turned into one horrible night with the rain, and I was thankful I was in a campervan......

Can't wait until next year, and do it all once again.
It is one well run event, great music everywhere, and as usual, a fantastic chilled crowd.
next stop, September 10, for number 4......

Dinny Breen

Quoteaw your one Michelle Doherty there too, what a woman.

She is a peach...
#newbridgeornowhere