AISF 2010: An Dún vs Cill Dara

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, August 01, 2010, 06:32:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

naka

thought ref was brural
kildare should have had a penalty as well as apoint disallowed and thats without talking about coulter goal altho thought the kildare goal was overcarrying

Jinxy

Quote from: mckieran on August 29, 2010, 09:06:25 PM
QuoteIf the boot was on the other foot would Down people complain?

Well maybe they would. But I doubt it would be as much as Kildare

On another note, I thought Downs fans were awful with their booing today

It wasn't the Dubs so I'm guessing we won't hear a whole pile about it.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

mckieran

QuoteI've honestly never heard any player at any level complain about the square ball rule, and I've been playing a while. Imo, its a good rule which helps the game. Consider the situation without it - players standing the whole game in round the keeper, it'd be a mess.

They got rid of it not that long ago as an experiment during the league but they decided not to go with it permanently. Newstalks off the ball also had a fairly deailed discussion about it one night so it definitely has been on the talked about

Schkite

Quote from: haranguerer on August 29, 2010, 09:13:00 PM
Quote from: mckieran on August 29, 2010, 08:51:52 PM
A lot of players believe the square ball rule to be a shit rule and abolished. And I agree.

This is a perfect example; I do not see why that goal should not have stood - Why have the square ball rule at all? I really do think that goals of this kind should stand.

Also, the ref gave Kildare plenty of "iffy" decisions today; They just werent as critical as the decisions that went Downs way. Kildare must be the biggest crowd of whingers in the country - If there was an AI series in whining, ye would win that hands down!

I've honestly never heard any player at any level complain about the square ball rule, and I've been playing a while. Imo, its a good rule which helps the game. Consider the situation without it - players standing the whole game in round the keeper, it'd be a mess.

In fairness to McEnaney too, he checked with the umpires, I know he has the power to overrule, but if they were adamant and they're closer, hes right to go by them.

+1, he's taking alot of unwarranted abuse on this thread. He's had better days at the office no doubt, but it was the umpires who fcuked up on the big decisions.

The Real Laoislad

You'll Never Walk Alone.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on August 29, 2010, 09:07:26 PM
Quote from: red hander on August 29, 2010, 08:15:04 PM
Quote from: ardmhachaabu on August 29, 2010, 07:20:06 PM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on August 29, 2010, 06:51:37 PM
If Down win the final, which they should on current form, Mickey Harte will be staying on until we win 7 All-Irelands. An Dún abú!  ;)
So he will be retiring around 2030 or something judging on past form?

That would be about right, and Armagh will still only have one
Touché  ;D

red hander beat me to it, solitary boy  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

TacadoirArdMhacha

That point of Coulter's is one of the finest scores I've ever seen.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

oakleafgael

Quote from: Take Your Points on August 29, 2010, 05:43:41 PM
Hard to beat a team with McEneaney onboard.  Best ref in Ireland?

Down actually managed to beat the team that had McEneaney on board. The umpires made two mistakes that cost Kildare dearly but "the best ref in the country" gave Kildare an awful amount of handy frees. Both goals should have been disallowed.

mountainboii

Fair play to Down, probably just the better team, especially around the middle. Got the breaks again though, I'd be raging at some of those decisions if I were from Kildare. Still trying to figure out have Down have really emerged from the pack, or are they just the fortunate beneficiaries of a dramatic levelling off in standards.

Torn about supporting them in the final. On one hand, that innate Down smugness would sicken your hole. But on the other, they have a couple of players you could watch all day in Clarke and Coulter, and Down's continued progress should give about a dozen counties, not least my own, a lot of heart for the immediate future.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Kelly's shot against the post on 70 minutes was crucial in hindsight.

Onlooker

I have always had a lot of regard for Daniel Hughes any time I have seen him play and I thought he was outstanding again today.  He would be my shout for Man of the Match.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Jeez there was a Down defender who must have been very close to conceding a penalty when that ball dropped in the small rectangle.

Highlander3

Amazing game, Kildare must be gutted, while i thought we were the better team they had their chances and i feel sorry for them they deserve an AI, they have great fans.

Officials were awful today, would not blame McEneaney for the Down goal thought the umpires should have called that, thou i think McEneaney tried to even it up after that, as i thought be give Kildare some very soft free's. Overall both goals should have been disallowed but there is no doubt that our goal allowed us to settle.

Still was some great scores today, cant wait for the final.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Thought Geezer spoke very well there.

5 seconds on the Martin Carney "Very much so" watch.

Capt Pat

It was the umpires who gave down a 4 point advantage, they altered the outcome of the match.

It was obviously a penalty right at the end when a Down player dived on the ball in panic as Kildare players closed in on the ball.