8 Provinces finalists lose out?

Started by umpire, August 01, 2010, 03:56:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Rossfan on August 02, 2010, 06:02:53 PM
Quote from: eyeswideopen on August 02, 2010, 05:21:47 PM
Quote from: Hound on August 02, 2010, 05:13:03 PM
This shíte does my head in. whether it be Dublin complaining or Tyrone or whoever.

Every team has ONE CHANCE to win their provincial title.

And subsequently, when they are finished with the provincial championship...

Every team has ONE CHANCE to win the All Ireland.

Completely fair, completely open. The suggestions going round to try and make things easier for provincial winners and provincial runners-up are just pure nonsense.

The first time ever all the provincial finalists are out by the SF stage, and suddenly the system is wrong  ::)
Balls

Totally agree Hound!!!

So do I.

By the way Magpie Seanie ....how did you figure we could have easily beaten Cork yesterday?

Ye could have beaten them but I don't think the players believed they could win themselves. That's all I'm saying. Cork were there for the taking and ye let them off the hook. Couldn't understand taking off some of your better players when the game was far from over either.

ross matt

Quote from: magpie seanie on August 03, 2010, 10:56:42 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on August 02, 2010, 06:02:53 PM
Quote from: eyeswideopen on August 02, 2010, 05:21:47 PM
Quote from: Hound on August 02, 2010, 05:13:03 PM
This shíte does my head in. whether it be Dublin complaining or Tyrone or whoever.

Every team has ONE CHANCE to win their provincial title.

And subsequently, when they are finished with the provincial championship...

Every team has ONE CHANCE to win the All Ireland.

Completely fair, completely open. The suggestions going round to try and make things easier for provincial winners and provincial runners-up are just pure nonsense.

The first time ever all the provincial finalists are out by the SF stage, and suddenly the system is wrong  ::)
Balls

Totally agree Hound!!!

So do I.

By the way Magpie Seanie ....how did you figure we could have easily beaten Cork yesterday?

Ye could have beaten them but I don't think the players believed they could win themselves. That's all I'm saying. Cork were there for the taking and ye let them off the hook. Couldn't understand taking off some of your better players when the game was far from over either.
Ross just could'nt mantain the level of pressure they had to apply for the first 45 min Seanie. Just didnt have the physical conditioning to do it for 70min. Agree with you re the substitutions. Management obviously wanted to get fresh legs on the field in key positions but it destabilised the team.

boo_yaa

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on August 02, 2010, 09:47:47 PM
Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on August 02, 2010, 06:00:48 PM
I think the most frightening result of the weekend is the detente that has broken out between Tyrone and Kerry about the "unfairness" of the qualifiers. It's like a movie where Superman finds common ground with Lex Luthor because the Joker has come over from Gotham City to take over Metropolis. Really lads - what are you like?
Quote from: ONeill on August 01, 2010, 09:48:04 PM
Saw this on Twitter -
http://twitpic.com/2aqk1z

Messing aside, these are interesting stats. Don't forget, that one Provincial finalist isn't like another. Tyrone or Kerry going down this year isn't like Westmeath losing in 2004 or Sligo in 2007, for instance. We shouldn't give them equal weighing.

This looking at the system up and down is typical of our mindset in Ireland. Rather than look at our own failings and address them, we look at the system to see what b**tard has one up on us.

It was the same with Galway in the hurling twenty years ago, when they had a bye to the All-Ireland semis. Did the lack of games help them or hinder them? Galway haven't won any hurling titles since that ended - is that because they don't get the bye to the semi anymore, or because their teams aren't good enough? Who knows?

The search for "fairness" is fool's gold. Bring back the right Championship, where you lived or died after every game. Better all round. At least you knew where you bloody stood.

same question to you...where are we complaining ?

No kerry poster has said anything about the system on this thread. Dont recall seeing anything on other threads either. The only complaints JOC had was in relation to the disallowed goal (justified) and the CCCC (fully justified)

..and, while we are on the CCCC....has any incident been reviewed by them since T'OSe ?

By the system I mean events outside the field of play. The CCCC is part of the system Mike and you boys have been golly having a go at that.

I was on the board on Saturday night, and I would swear on seven bibles that a Kerry poster had a good rant for himself about how the CCCC cheated Kerry out of the Championship. I've looked for the quote since but I can't find it. This leads me to two conclusions.

Either whoever posted it had a change of heart and deleted it later, or else I hallucinated the post in the first place. I'd be more inclined to believe the first hypothesis, but as the reigning Mayor of Roscommon was in Dublin for the weekend and I may have passively inhaled, thus giving credence to the second possibility.  ::)

ross4life

In the Minor Championship only the beaten province finalist's are allowed a second chance, imagine if that was the same of the senior championship this year.. Kildare,Down,Dublin,cork would be out now

IMO the four province champions next year should get a home game for the quarter final tie's
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Lazer

We're all forgetting - it isn't the draw/qualifier system thats caused the provincial finalists to lose out.

It was the whistles on the hill that caused Tyrones demise
It was the CCCC that caused Kerrys Demise

etc, etc, etc
Down for Sam 2017 (Have already written of 2016!)

Mike Sheehy

IolarCoisCuain

This is your exact quote

"detente that has broken out between Tyrone and Kerry about the "unfairness" of the qualifiers"

you made no mention of the CCCC. You stated quite clearly that Kerry are complaining about the qualifiers.

As for the CCCC, we are fully entitled to be incensed about what has happened. I wouldnt say that it was the reason we lost but it was a big factor. Regardless of that it is the apparent singling out of Kerry players that grates.

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on August 03, 2010, 08:10:33 PM
IolarCoisCuain

This is your exact quote

"detente that has broken out between Tyrone and Kerry about the "unfairness" of the qualifiers"

you made no mention of the CCCC. You stated quite clearly that Kerry are complaining about the qualifiers.

As for the CCCC, we are fully entitled to be incensed about what has happened. I wouldnt say that it was the reason we lost but it was a big factor. Regardless of that it is the apparent singling out of Kerry players that grates.

Are Sean Walsh and Sean Kelly not bitching about the qualifiers here Mike?

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/walsh-makes-provincial-plea-126845.html

Nearly sure I heard Jack O'Connor giving out all day on the radio today as well. But as I said earlier, I may be hearing voices.

But what do you think yourself Mike? Do you think the qualifiers are unfair? If it was up to me, I'd bring back the straight knock out system. Good for one hundred years, good for another hundred. Straight-forward, easy to understand, you lived or you died. 1 or 0. How about you? What do you think?

Kerry Mike

Quote..and, while we are on the CCCC....has any incident been reviewed by them since T'OSe ?

Not a f**king peep Mikey, a f**king joke the whole CCCC at this stage, you nearly start to be paranoid that Cooney's wants to present one cup to a Cork captain this year.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

EIREANNACH

Quote from: Dinny Breen on August 02, 2010, 10:47:40 AM
Maybe but funny how he brings it up in the immediate aftermath of defeat, do you not think no matter what he personally believes he is now using it as a means of deflection. Not a bad thing as it does keep the focus of Tyrone's failings on Saturday.

MICKEY KEEPS A LOT OF IRONS IN THE FIRE
Down Gaa 2015 Championship Predictions League 3rd place 2015

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on August 03, 2010, 10:17:51 PM
IolarCoisCuain

This is your exact quote

Nearly sure I heard Jack O'Connor giving out all day on the radio today as well. But as I said earlier, I may be hearing voices.

But what do you think yourself Mike? Do you think the qualifiers are unfair? If it was up to me, I'd bring back the straight knock out system. Good for one hundred years, good for another hundred. Straight-forward, easy to understand, you lived or you died. 1 or 0. How about you? What do you think?

ffs, did youi actually read the article. Sean Walsh was defending the current set up. The article did say that Walsh "
agrees that the disadvantage facing provincial champions must be tackled". Thats not him advocating changes that is him defending the current system but conceding that there are problems. You completely misrepresented his position and placed him on the opposite side of the argument.

As for Sean Kelly, yes he did say there were issues but he spoke for the beaten provincila finalists as well as the provincial winners. It was hardly a whinge on befalf of kerry. Also, Sean Kelly is a past president and Sean Walsh was obviously speaking in his capacity as Munster Chairman. To class it as kerrymen whinging is a gross misrepresentation

I would also point out that the article is dated today which is after you had your pop at us. maybe you are a fortune teller and can forecast whinging  ::). As for JOC, I'm in the US so can't comment, I'll have to take your word for it.

I had no problem with the old system and I have no complaints about the present one either. I can see the argument for doing something about provincial losers and winners but I think people should put a lot of thought into it to predict what future "disadvantages" might manifest themselves before jumping in.

timmykelleher

Quote from: Kerry Mike on August 03, 2010, 10:48:44 PM
Quote..and, while we are on the CCCC....has any incident been reviewed by them since T'OSe ?

Not a f**king peep Mikey, a f**king joke the whole CCCC at this stage, you nearly start to be paranoid that Cooney's wants to present one cup to a Cork captain this year.

But nobody has cleaned a man out of it with an elbow to the head after the ball has gone either.
Corcaigh - McGrath cup champions - 2009

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on August 04, 2010, 05:08:03 AM
Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on August 03, 2010, 10:17:51 PM
IolarCoisCuain

This is your exact quote

ffs, did youi actually read the article. Sean Walsh was defending the current set up. The article did say that Walsh "
agrees that the disadvantage facing provincial champions must be tackled". Thats not him advocating changes that is him defending the current system but conceding that there are problems. You completely misrepresented his position and placed him on the opposite side of the argument.

As for Sean Kelly, yes he did say there were issues but he spoke for the beaten provincila finalists as well as the provincial winners. It was hardly a whinge on befalf of kerry. Also, Sean Kelly is a past president and Sean Walsh was obviously speaking in his capacity as Munster Chairman. To class it as kerrymen whinging is a gross misrepresentation

I would also point out that the article is dated today which is after you had your pop at us. maybe you are a fortune teller and can forecast whinging  ::). As for JOC, I'm in the US so can't comment, I'll have to take your word for it.

I had no problem with the old system and I have no complaints about the present one either. I can see the argument for doing something about provincial losers and winners but I think people should put a lot of thought into it to predict what future "disadvantages" might manifest themselves before jumping in.

Bejob Mike it turns out I am a fortune teller. Here's Jack letting it all out in today's Indo: http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/oconnor-hits-out-at-inequality-of-provincial-system-2282842.html

"I am not just saying this after we have been beaten: I have said this consistently, that provincial championships will have to be changed or provincial winners will have to get a second shot at it," O'Connor said yesterday.

I don't think last year's Munster Champions got a second shot at it. Maybe I'm imaging that too.

Kerry Mike

QuoteBut nobody has cleaned a man out of it with an elbow to the head after the ball has gone either.

Timmy you are some langer. there has been no head butts or grabbing fellows by the throat either as the CCCC has not seen anything or maybe has been told not to see anything by The Sunday Game/Christy Cooney, and that is only 2 of the Cork offences to date.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football