Does anyone still eat rabbits !

Started by Bud Wiser, July 30, 2010, 10:19:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bud Wiser

As some of you know Bud is a budding potato farmer and this year I stuck down a few carroot, leek and lettuce seeds along with a few heads of cabbage and there dother week I went up and the frigging rabbits had done a Mike Tyson on the lettuce, bit all the ears off and chewed them up along with the carrots.  I know it was rabbits because what I did was I climbed into the composter that was a new unsoiled one I had just bought and I hid in it for four hours after drilling two half inch holes at eye height to watch the b**tards.

Now, I can't shoot them because I am not allowed to fire a shot in a built up area in Tallaght, although it sometimes seems that almost everyone else can fire at will, or shopkeepers or post office staff, or the wrong people in banks.  So I am after making a few snares which is a lot cheaper than buying rols of rabbit fence.  Snaring rabbits and skinning them is a lost art in itself and I don't want to snare them unless they are going to be eaten.  So basicly I am looking for an outlet like say a Green Part Conference where during their morning coffee break I would arrive with the big long pole over me shoulder and the little bunny rabbits with their legs entwined hanging from it and give a demonstration in skinning them before serving them for lunch.  Maybe there are butchers that would take them from me, I wonder duz anyone know anyone at all that would be glad of a few rabbits and I will throw in a head of cabbage or a few spuds as well.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

ONeill

I'd be in need of a few hares but that's a different matter altogether.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Bud Wiser

If thats all the help I am getting then I think I will get down my Mickey Harte book and hide in the composter for a few hours and jump out every now and then in Laois football gear and frighten the bejayus out of them.  I was wondering if I just left them in places wouldn't someone take them, like hang them on the grip bars of the Luas or hang them on bus stops rather than them go to waste.
Buds great grandfather down in Laois
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

AZOffaly

Shoot one, and hang him up on a cross for the others to see.

Cde

Bud Wiser

Quote from: Cde on July 30, 2010, 11:07:31 AM
didnt work for the romans
:D :D :D

There was a fella there a week or two ago and he shot a crow or a pigeon and hung it up and he was fined 2,000 euro for cruelty. 

The local Chinees Take Away have a website so I just emailed them there now to see if they would sell it as chicken curry so I think I might be OK.

quit yo jibbajabba

i now have a vision of Bud as a cross between thon wan in Father Ted with the "I shot JR" tshirt, and the young un pluckin the geeetar at the start of Deliverance........

Kerry Mike

jaysus I havent had a rabbit stew in years Bud, there is a friend of herself who keeps rabbits and I am always threatening to get the knife to the little bastards
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

snoopdog

unfortunately the Butchers or general food trade cant take them unless they are killed in a professional area like a slaughterhouse. Plus they are wild could have all sorts of diseases. Prob fine to eat though as long as you stear clear of the organs.
sure why dont you eat them yourself, i have had rabbit a few times but its years ago.
another alternative is give them to a cat or dogs to eat. They love that.

pintsofguinness

To quote myself
QuoteRe: Things that make you go What the F**k?
« Reply #1095 on: September 01, 2009, 01:46:32 PM » 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Was having lunch in a pub there and looked out the window and to my amazement there was a fella taking boxes and boxes filled with dead rabbits!! out of a van and stacking them up on a trolly for another man standing there.  There were dozens and dozens of dead rabbits and this loading went on for about 5-10 minutes and yer man with the trolly wheeled it away down the street.  I think he may have been going to the market but what the f**k!!  Put me off my food.

Someone eats them
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Doogie Browser

Hardy

Six months from now, all Bud's lettuce and carrots are gone and ...

delboy

If there is a hunt near by you the hound keeper will probably be more than happy to take them off your hands.

Banana Man

QuoteIf there is a hunt near by you the hound keeper will probably be more than happy to take them off your hands.

Not being funny Delboy but I couldn't see too many hunts in Tallaght!

Bogball XV

Quote from: Banana Man on July 30, 2010, 02:00:30 PM
QuoteIf there is a hunt near by you the hound keeper will probably be more than happy to take them off your hands.

Not being funny Delboy but I couldn't see too many chunts in Tallaght!
Dunno about that.

Rabbit is not worth the bother eating, tastes like chicken but it's that boney it's hard to find a decent bit of meat on it, between that and picking out the lead pellets, you get no enjoyment at all.