Greatly exaggerated GAA Myths

Started by From the Bunker, July 25, 2010, 10:47:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The face

Quote from: Armaghtothebone on July 27, 2010, 08:43:54 PM
The 1977 semi final between Dublin and Kerry was one of the greatest games ever.

Agree. It was as Pat Spillane said a good tight game with the result the Dublin based media wanted

The face

Quote from: blanketattack on July 28, 2010, 01:11:51 AM
If the Kerry team was in the Ulster C'ship instead of the Munster C'ship they wouldn't have won as many All-Irelands, particularly during the 70s and 80s.

Proof against this myth: Look at some of the Ulster teams' results in that era:
Kerry 0-23; Derry 0-10
Cork 5-10; Tyrone 2-4
Kerry 5-14; Derry 1-10
Dublin 5-12; Armagh 3-6
Dublin 1-16; Down 0-8
Kerry 5-14; Monaghan 0-7
Kerry 3-15; Armagh 1-11

If this was what was happening to the best team in Ulster surely the lesser teams in Ulster wouldn't have been too much trouble either?

I'd like to point out that the crucial 5th goal Kerry got against Monaghan was definitely a square ball!!

The face

Quote from: heffo on August 05, 2010, 04:22:01 PM
Quote from: The face on August 05, 2010, 03:43:32 PM
The GAA has to play it's Quarter Finals in Crke Park because of a deal with Corporate Boxes/ Premium Seat holders. Absolute crap!!!!!
The GAA were very careful never to give specifics on any game. Also when these seats were being sold there was no such thng as a quarter final!

I've never heard of that particular 'myth' and given that Qtr finals have been staged outside of Croke Park, it's not a very viable one..

I hadnt heard it myself until about a week ago.  This particular one is all over GAA forums at the moment as one of the reasons why the Qualifiers can't be changed that much.

The face

"Champions League Style" is the answer to the qualifier issue

The face

A ref has to add 30 seconds for each substitution even the ones in injury time. A fact in soccer, a myth in GAA. GAA managers please note!

muppet

"You can't write off Meath"

Off Meath
Off Meath
Off Meath
Off Meath
Off Meath
Off Meath

and so on.......
MWWSI 2017

Mike Sheehy

Agreed. In fact it is the opposite. I dont think anybody made a big deal of it until football was re-invented in 2002 and we had a generation of experts now telling us that football was, in fact, shite in the old days.

redandblack4ever

LOL. Good one, Kerry Mike!!!
;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

Mrs. redandblack4ever
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."Edward R. Murrow,American Jounalist,1908-1965

seafoid

It was better in the old days.

Next year we'll be back 

Underage success means something for the seniors

tyroneman

That a "2-man" or "3-man" tackle is somehow illegal. You hear it every match at Club level.

There is nothing in the rule book prohibiting it - it's how the 2 or 3 men tackle you that will get the foul (or not)

EagleLord

Fully agree Tyroneman! Sick of hearing it! Theres nothing wrong with 10 men tackling the man with the ball as long as they arent fouling him!

lawnseed

arron kernans a forward or arron kernans a back
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

Wee Shea

Quote from: lawnseed on August 11, 2010, 10:54:59 PM
arron kernans a forward or arron kernans a back

What position is Aaron then?

lawnseed

A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

ardmhachaabu

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something