Greatly exaggerated GAA Myths

Started by From the Bunker, July 25, 2010, 10:47:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

DoireGael

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 26, 2010, 05:05:45 PM
No, it's both. But the key is in having a properly tailored and customised fitness regime, that includes cardio, explosiveness, and the core strength.

When 'the weights' came in first, we had county teams (I remember this) all doing exactly the same weights, the same training sessions and circuits. The ball work and cardio work was neglected, as there is only so much time, and so you ended up with bigger, slower lads, and some fellas getting injured because they weren't able for the weights.

Of course it's come on a lot since then, with people like Zulu and others on the board bringing a much more scientific approach, but there is still a danger that a lot of teams are doing as much harm as good with their weights 'program'.

In one word - Correct

One on the greatest things about weight is the prevention of injury. For instance I know a few great young lads who poped there shoulders playing ball, they never done a pull up in there life, lat pull down or anythng in the gym. Not through there own fault, it was just listening to old guys talk about the gym like it was the 'devil'. Yet the young rugby guys are getting personalised regime earlier each year (PS I dont beliv in weights under 16-17 only own body weight)

Aaron Boone

EagleLord

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 26, 2010, 04:59:12 PM
Agree with that. I suppose it depends who you are really as well, but if Declan O'Sullivan or Gooch or Sean Cavanagh is bearing down on the keeper, the twines are going to rattle.

Course it depends who you are, if your one of the boys you mentioned, should be going for the net, but in a situation where its a corner back, midfeilder, someone who isnt really all that much of a sharpshooter, you'd rather see them take a fisted point than blaze wide/hit a tame shot at the keeper. Also whenever your bottled up, not much room to get a shot in, an fisted point is a sensible option.

ross4life

Roscommon are a big strong physical team
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Mickeys beard

After an action replay, all commentators will say,"Actually I got that wrong, it was clearly not a foul"
Boil the Drawers!

ross4life

Using league form as a barometer for championship success
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

DoireGael

Derry are contenders for the Ulster championship

From the Bunker

Calling the Hurling AI Championship an All Ireland Championship when half the country would not know what a sliotar looks like, don't play the game, don't have a county team representing them.

AZOffaly

What counties don't have a hurling team?

sammymaguire

It's who ya know, not how good you are that gets ya picked in this club!!
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

ONeill

Michael Lyster's riding Spillane.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Azzurri

A rolling ball can be picked directly off the ground

boojangles

Seamus Darby pushed Tommy Doyle straight in the back.

ExiledGael

Take your points and the goals will come